Sign in to follow this  
scr00ge

Is it just me or is Landing to simple, unreal?

Do you think the Landings in SFP1 are very realistic?  

1. 1. Do you think the Landings in SFP1 are very realistic?

• NO
    • YES

S! All,

I have noticed that it is pretty hard to bum your landings in this game, I have tried to deliberately crash. Was the landing gear that good to be able to absorb that much shock? Or is there a setting that I can change to modify this to be a little more real. I am used to land in a bf-109 full real in IL-2, I enjoy the challenge. All settings are turned to HARD. And I have patched the game. Thanks in advance.

Scr00ge

Guest Ranger332

what are your landing setting on? (easy or hard) on easy you can do belly landings hard your even think about belly landings it blows up even on the smoother runway

also rember these jets have been navalized for carrier landings (a controled crash)

Having never actually flown , let alone landed any of the birds in this sim I have to pass judgement to those that have. Having said that, I don't think you should survive a deliberate crash attempt with settings on hard.

I have all settings to Hard. I guess it's just me, I like a certain risk to landing. I find it very difficult to do any damage to the plane. Thanks for the replys.

Scr00ge

Seems like it's stuck on easy no matter what you select for difficulty.

Yes, I too love Il-2, and am a little disappointed with the ground collision models of SFP1. They seem to be mostly "all or nothing": either you bounce right back into the air or instantaneously explode. You never shear your gear or a wing off, as with Il-2 (though your ailerons/flaps or tailplanes do sometimes fall off.)

Another weird issue is that of successfully landing on rough ground. Your craft does not come to a standstill, but begins to bounce and flip around on the ground. Just watch AI-controlled craft belly-land after running out of fuel. It's hilarious!

Landings are a bit forgiving but they have a nice model of weight distribution (bounce and roll). Some sims are too stiff on landing, where plane instantly settles and connects to a rail as soon as it touches down (Janes F/A 18), and some sims are way to squirly on touchdown (SDOE). I like the landing model in SF (although a bit forgiving like some are saying). mho I'm checked out in a cess 150 and 172 and I think SF is a pretty well modeled sim/game from my perspective. Hats off to Third Wire. But my complaint is I don't get any touchdown sound, that kinda takes away a bit.

I am not good at landings at all...I use autopilot when the fltsim permits it, like in USNF97 or EAW. But I do try it once in a while and I think IL2 gives the best immersive feeling. Especially the tactile feedback from the joystick. :)

Guest GlobalTribunal

the poll is too black and white,

there are some very good realism in landing.

I find there is too much sink rate (I've seen this mistake in realism patches on other sims) when you fly slow.

Pitch and roll rates, flap drag etc.. are all very good.

Very bad is the abiliity to near flat spin any aircraft to a safe landing if you have your gear down (on HARD setting), or land on your nose / tail etc.. and survive.

The realism patch I made for EA Jane's Fighters Anthology, had sink rates, and maximum landing sink rate (like the amazing Rafale near 15fp/s!) along with pitch (tail strike) and nose wheel max speeds. SF has none of these.

:shock:

I just got Strike Fighter last weekend and have it set to Normal. The last landing I tried I got it close to touchdown and handed it over to AI. The F4 landed and all it did was tumble down the runway with out blowing up. Finally it came to rest upside down. Mission finished with no mishaps reported and I was credited with 2 kills on the Migs. Lucky gun shot as I couldn't get the missiles to work even with the radar on . BTW, Patch 1 is installed.

S! All,

I suppose the question was little too black and white. But I was just looking for a general consencus on the topic. But looking at it a little more critically, it is the touchdown that I do not feel is real enough. The approach, sink rate, etc, are not a problem. It just seems too stable, when you touchdown. No possibility of error. Like landing on a pillow. It would be interesting to get some opinions from actual pilots that have flown these aircraft. I hope that this issue is something that is looked at when the new patch comes out.

Scr00ge

Guest Ranger332

Ok thats a bit much he had nothing here --- dont be as bad as he was

the info was actualy helpful ok. Note to mention that every time you post over his you bring it to the front of the forum. Just let it go and we will get new things :shock: out front. :idea: