Sign in to follow this  

Guest zerocinco

Hey! Where's the probe?

Hey! Where's the probe?

Open your weapon editor find the bdouglas gun pod look under attachment type. You should have the following boxes checked : NATO, FRANCE, USAF, & USN. If one of them is not check it then click ok and then save.

I don't think you need FRANCE checked but i think it is checked by default.

Guest zerocinco

Merci

I found it. Will include it and repost.

Edited by zerocinco

Guest zerocinco

I have a mission posted using the C130. The KC130F, which I configured finally with the bdouglas pod, is fine but it still won't refuel an Air Force fighter. Need a boom.

Unlike the SF refueling mission, this one you do pre-strike...not post strike. In VN, it could be be either or both.

Edited by zerocinco

I have a mission posted using the C130. The KC130F, which I configured finally with the bdouglas pod, is fine but it still won't refuel an Air Force fighter. Need a boom.

Unlike the SF refueling mission, this one you do pre-strike...not post strike. In VN, it could be be either or both.

Pasko has the KC-135 on his to do list.

Really? Won't refuel a USAF fighter? Needs a boom? :unsure:

really4xd.jpg

really25oc.jpg

Guest zerocinco

Technically, I stand corrected.

Technically.

I should have said "behind a C-130". A Thud would hardly fly at their refueling speedof a C-130 (max 270kias cruise). Loaded, the stick would stir out the cockpit staying in position. KC-135's had probe and drogue systems sometimes but AF used the boom more often than not. Typically, you hit the tanker at 300-325 knots in an F4...and that wasn't comfortable with a full load of bombs sometimes.

Thus, yes, they have a probe but, no, they didn't pull in behind C-130's in reality.

Edited by zerocinco

As I recall, someone once accused the F-105 of being "AC/DC", as it had both a boom and a refueling port :biggrin:

KC-135's had probe and drogue systems sometimes but AF used the boom more often than not.

Kinda correct.

The KC-135 has what is called the "BDA" or "Boom Drogue Adapter". This added an 8-foot long hose with a flexible basket (drogue) to the end of the boom. This attachment meant that the aircaft could only fuel probe equipped aircraft durin that mission. It was (and still is) generally hated by all involved as the BDA was prone to striking the ground during takeoff and landing and when that didn't happen, it is/was not unusual for the tanker to come home with the probe off an aircraft of the fighter to come home with the BDA attached. The 8 foot hose is also much too short for its use, so it is much more difficult to refuel behind a BDA equipped KC-135 than a properly HDU (Hose Drum Unit) equipped tanker.

About 100 KC-135Rs were recently equipped with a new outer-wing mounted pod similar to the Buddy Packs used by navy tankers to give it a true probe refuelling capability. Otherwise, the only large tankers equipped for probe refuelling are the - Valiant (out of service), Vulcan (out of service), VC-10, Tristar, KC-10, KC-135FR, and KC-130.

Here's a few shots of the BDA -

http://www.afrc.af.mil/940arw/Static%20Pho...F-7393B-012.jpg

http://mcfaddenphoto.com/img/ar1.jpg

http://www.takhli.org/bob/MemoryJoggersFromArtMcAninch2.htm

And a pic of the new wingpods -

http://www.airforce-technology.com/project...ages/kc1353.jpg

Edited by CAPFlyer

Wasn't it one of those BDA dealios that whipped the heck outta the canopy of a Hornet over Afghanistan a few years back?

It was a heckuva display of airmanship getting that puppy on the ground afterward.

>Google, google<

Ah, yeah, here I found it.

Aviation Stories site.

It does not seem to like Firefox, formats oddly. OK in IE, for some reason...

Guest zerocinco

Okay. So here I am on post-strike after bombing Thai Nguyen Railyard (actually Berlin railyard but you know...) and I need fuel and, well, what's missing from this picture? He doesn't have a boom but I don't have a receptical.

(do your best to avoid the obvious pun here, Fubar. : )

Guest Saganuay82

Have you ever seen a boom fueler in the form of a Herc? Have you ever seen a boom fueler in SFP1 or WOV?

No.

Cause it doesn't exist yet.

You could see the drouges if you wanted to install the KC-130 and or add the Douglas pods to the C-130.

Use H key when in the Thud and the probe should come out.

Guest zerocinco

I know. I was joking. Apparenty I should have decorated the post with a lot of smiley faces.

What needs to be done to get the C130 to deploy the drogues? The pods appear on mine but not the hoses.

Guest Saganuay82

The pods on the Herc ie Douglas pods are out at the start. The Airbus pods will deploy when the wheels are coming up. The Airbus pods though are part of the model.

Guest zerocinco

Must be missing something. All I have is the pods visible. No drogues.

Where does one find the Airbus? I've looked. That would certainly solve the refueling speed problem.

Edited by zerocinco

Guest Saganuay82

AVSIM.com probably.

Wasn't it one of those BDA dealios that whipped the heck outta the canopy of a Hornet over Afghanistan a few years back?

Actually, no. The KC-10 is equipped a center drogue reel of the same design as installed on the VC10 and L1011. Also, some of the KC-10s have been equipped with wingtip pods similar in design to the ones on the KC-135, but the KC-10 was actually equipped first.

947_refuel1.jpg

kc-10_19.jpg

kc10_f18.jpg

And there's nothing like opening the wings on the engine of a CF-6 to see how massive everything really is on these airplanes

kc-10a_engine_050202-f-2907c-212.jpg

Guest zerocinco

Tanks.

Guest zerocinco

Now THAT's nice!

Am I refueling in liters? : )

Wonder why I see the gear on this and not the 130. Maybe reload it.

And, Fubar, I stand corrected. Here is a picture of an Air Force fighter refueling on a probe/drogue system.

: )

Edited by zerocinco