Sign in to follow this  
jag

Thrustmaster

Ok here is the truth. Ive been playing flight sims on the pc ever since the days of "CHUCK YEAGER". I have a confession. I dont use rudder pedals or a seperate throttle controller. Ok now that that is on the table, here is the question. I have the chance to get my first set of controllers, and I was wondering if I should get them.

Thrustmaster F-22 Pro joystick

F-16 TQS throttle controller and rudder pedals

I have always had a joystick but never the other controllers.

Ive looked at throttle controllers recently but most of them are mounted with the joystick, and I would rather have them seperate.

Plus most of the stuff at your retail stores just look cheap.These actually look pretty sturdy.

If I could get some input about these devices from the guys that I know are quite familiar with flight controllers, that would be great.

PS: Very limited funds, so I cant buy brand new controllers

Actually I have a question I forgot to put in my own post.

Are these devices compatable with WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION?

Jag-Aside from the TM Cougar setup, what you have an opportunity to get is the next best thing IMO. I have been using the F16FLCS/TQS/RCS setup for many years now and never had a problem. With Bob Church's digital chip upgrade, it's only better. I had an F22 once but went back to my FLCS mainly because I did not like the stiffness of the F22 springs. I am running these on WinXP pro..no problem.

Another question. What would these three controllers cost approx. if I bought them new today?

Jag, you can't buy them new today. Thrustmaster has come out with a totally new HOTAS, basically a revamped version of the equipement you are purchasing. Thrustmaster doesn't even offer rudder pedals anymore, period.

For the new stick and throttle, the cheapest price is $269.99 at amazon.com. For a good set of pedals, at least $80.

If you want to compare used prices on the exact same equipement, try ebay. Thats the only place I have seen with any older Thrustmaster joysticks available.

Thanks for the info guys. This has helped me a lot.

Its great to be a part of such an informative group of people. The guys like me that dont know very much about certain things such as controllers for me really do get a lot of help from everyone else.

THANKS GUYS

I have a Trustmaster TopGun Afterburner thats works real good, It looks like one unit, but you can sepreate them(made that way-They give you the key wrench) It is a USB Control with a choice of Rudder Control on the throtle or with joystick twist.

8 button (W/Control program upto 15 Button) POV Hat and Dynamic Axis

contol (You can talor the Axis control Curves)

AT CompUSA: $60.00

BestBuy : $60.00

Raven, I used to use a Precision 3D. I love those twist handles. Its really a great way of controlling rudder. My Saitek X-45 has the rocker control on the throttle, but its not the same.

Can't wait to get the new Simped rudder pedals though.

Are the F-16 TQS Throttle controller and the rudder pedals USB ports.

They shouldn't be. If I remember correctly, the throttle and the rudder control both have a gameport that plugs into the stick, so you only have one real connection to the PC. I think.

I just read that the f-22 joystick is difficult to program because it uses DOS. Would this be a problem for a DOS illiterate person like me or are there new ways to program it now. The page I read wad pretty old.

Jag the F16 FLCS stick plugs into the TQS throttle. It then plugs into your gameport. If you are looking at the F-16 FLCS, make sure it has the digital chip upgrade or you can get the upgrade from stickworks.com

It is not difficult to program. There is a program called Fox2 for the FLCS and Digital Foxy for the F22. Both of these run in WIN and are ,IMO, very easy to work in.

fox2.jpg

Great! That is exactly what I was hoping for. Everything sounds as though it is a good system. Id say im definatly going to get them. Hopefully this will add a whole new view to my sim experience.

Well let me know if you need any stick files. I have them for just about every sim out there.

Im sure that I will. The only sims that I play now are Strike Fighters, IL-2, and CFS3 only when im really bored. Should hopefully have it in the next week.

Hey Jag, I've been using thrustmaster equipment for many years, and they're great! I have only had a couple of problems that I had to have fixed and they were great about taking care of the problem.(free of charge no less!) Right now I'm using thier new Cougar setup with rudder pedals from an outfit called PFC (precision flight controls) out of Mather California. These pedals are not cheap but they are the most realistic I have seen. They have metal pedals, a metal base, and your entire foot does not rest on the pedal but your heels rest on the metal base with the balls of your feet on the pedal as in a real aircraft. They even have toe brakes but I have'nt been able to get them to work with the Cougar. Oh yes, I use my thrustmaster with WIN xp pro no problem. I have a TM F-16 FLCS and TQS that have been in use for many years with no sign of trouble, so they get a hearty endorsement from me! Enjoy!-Sledge