Sign in to follow this  
essemm

Getting the AIM9 to lock on

Hi all. I've just bought tWOV, and am trying a Rolling Thunder campaign. I'm flying a F4. My problem is that I cannot get a Sidewinder to lock on. I've visually selected a target, I've got Aim9 selected in my air-to-air mode, but I just cannot get a lock, despite being dead on a guys six at .3nm away!!! At that range, staring down the tailpipe of a Mig17, that 'winder should be growling like crazy! I *do* notice a slight change in growl pitch when I go from "no look" to a "good look" for the seeker, but if I try and fire, the Aim9 wizzes off into the distance.

Any help?

The slight change in growl tone is the indication you are looking for. When it gets louder, it has a target. Early AIM-9Bs are notoriously ineffective. They will generally track and hit a target only if the target is in afterburner and flying in a straight line or a very gentle turn. If you fly in later years in Navy aircraft, you get much better versions: AIM-9D, AIM-9G, and AIM-9H. While not all-aspect, these versions are more maneuverable and track much better. The improved USAF versions (E and J) are hardly any better than the B in comparison to the USN versions. While the AIM-9 is a close-in weapon, don't get too close to the target, give it enough room to maneuver after coming off the launch rail.

When I fly for USAF, at the later date, I seldom uses the AIM-9B. I'd take the AIM-9E-2 as it is more agile (even better than J version in my opinion), but then it's still no match for the Navy's version. My other preference (and odd one) for B version is substituting HVAR's in strike mission

one thing I suggest is to look at the sound mods available... they are better than the stock sounds... more realistic.