Sign in to follow this  
Bacardi

Should I buy the HOTAS Cougar??

Hey All,

I really need your help. My new system is coming soon and I'm thinking about picking-up a new HOTAS set. I've currently got the now Bankrupt SUNCOM HOTAS,the SFS Throttle and F-15E Talon Stick. They're still in superbcondition and still kicking A**. I've read the Cougar reviews, but would like any input from Cougar owners, likes and dislikes. The set is about $500+taxes in Toronto, but I'm sure I can get cheaper online.

I know I wouldn't get to really use it right now, I got finals in a few weeks and ground school, but my younger brother wouldn't mind.

Thanks,

Bacardi.

I can't recommend the Cougar enough. It is an incredible system, something you will keep forever. Great support, complete software, preset configurations. You can d/l new configs to your stick and your ready to go. Stick and throttle are VERY heavy, very tought feeling. The stick tends to be real stiff in the begining, but loosens up with use, but NEVER gets sloppy. 28 buttons, 2 sliders, 4 hats, and a microswitch. The microswitch is a thumb operated switch that can act as a mouse/joystick all its own. TM eilte pedals work with the HOTAS also.

BY all means, get this system. You WILL NOT be sorry.

I have the Cougar and will never use another stick. It is a bitch to learn to program though.

thanks for the Heads-Up guys, really appreciate it. I still haven't decided, also I'll have to check if any CAN. online retailers have it, before I order from the States, Customs Taxes and Shipping Fees are a B***H and the Exchange rate to top it off!!

$500 CDN can get you a lot of FUN @ some Toronto clubs :D

Bacardi, there is a guy at the Warbirds forum named "Revvin". He helps me with my stick if there is something I want to do that I don't know how. He also creates config files for the Cougar. Go to www.agw.warbirdsiii.com and post that you are looking for him to tell you about the Cougar, and tell him I sent you looking for him. He is good guy. Also, you may want to post on your thread that you live in Canada and are trying to buy a Cougar. My friends in Edmonton are kicking around the same thing, and I think are coming up with ways to keep the price down. Ask for drover, or =Rifle= or -Nash-.

Good luck, you will love it. I picked up the box when I got it and thought a weight set was in it.

I have the Cougar and will never use another stick. It is a b**ch to learn to program though.

Yeah, I second that. I have Cougar HOTAS but I dont use it. I would suggest you buy it if you are a real hardcore simmer who wants to feel like he's really flying. There is a thick manual to please the most seasoned reader, and enough programming options to arouse any computer freak (lol). Like I said, it's great for a hardcore pilot, but if you're anything like me and you just fly to fly, I would buy a normal stick.

What's up all,

Well I did it. I bought the HOTAS Cougar for $465 CDN + $60 for FEDEX ground, arrived on two days ago. I haven't gotten time for an actual test run as yet. I've finals next week and the following week, so I'll be a while.

I don't fly the "LOCK and LOAD" or Survey Sims, I've currently got

Falcon SP3 and Janes F/A-18 on my system but I don't get the chance to get some flight time.

If they made one for left-handed people, i would consider buying one but until then, my saitek gold is it.

savagkc

Guest MrMudd

Being a real 16 Driver, the cougar was nice cosmeticaly but the 200 Bucks i spent on the Ch Hotas USB Fighterstick and pro Throttle. Certainly was worth it, considering i was useing a Saitek X45 for so long.

Buying a Highend Hotas is a major investment. Computer components come and go, but you will always have your hotas. I spend a great deal of time away from home and dont get to spend time with sims as ofton as i like. I know tht when i come home my PC and software may be obsolete, but the USb stick is high end for yeas to come.

Buying a highend videocard is a waste if you never use it. It usefulness is limite by the software technologies of the future. The HOTAS you can count on as a worthwhile investment.

I am a cougar owner and will honestly say if you have big hands and like a really stiff stick then go with Cougar. If you like a lighter feel then go for CH.

The only complaint about the cougar I have is how the spring tension feels. It's very stiff and doesnt transition smoothly from axis to axis.

I have the Cougar and love it! It is very precise. Some complain about sloppiness in the center position of the stick but honestly it is fine. You can adjust the dead zones and axis curves to suit your every need.

I can't program the thing, but there are plenty of people that can and there are a ton of profiles for sims at www.frugalsworld.com and click on Cougar World.

A couple of comments...I have small hands and the Cougar, while at first, was awkward, I quickly became used to it. Secondly, the stiffness can be cured with a $20 mod that replaces the springs. Go to Frugal's World and ask about this. I am sure someone with more info will respond.

Lastly, be aware that TM supplied some questionable pots with the Cougar. My throttle pot was fried after a little over a year when I upgraded the firmware. This is partly due to the fact that with the 2.03 firmware and above, the dev team increased the resolution settings for the pots to compensate for some killer mods (I'll explain). Unfortunately, the increased resolution fried the stock pots. This is just specualtion on my part and some others that I have spoken to. TM has not said anything to that respect. However, TM is replacing the pots with a new one if you email them. They are a cinch to install if you have a small soldering iron and you can twist electrical wire together. :lol: And I say that knowing that I am guy with no mechanical expertise. I have had no problems with my stick, just the throttle pot, which is fixed now.

What about those killer mods? I have requested two that I am waiting on. The first one is a set of hall sensors which replace the pots. There is one pot on the throttle and several for the stick. These sensors are based on magnestism and no parts ever touch them so their duration is much longer and the accuracy is greatly improved. And the other I am getting is a new set of gimbals for the stick. These are made of some composite metal, aluminum and something else perhaps. I can't remember. The original new gimbals are something like $600.00. That is way too expensive. However, the guy who makes these is developing a newer set that is only going to cost around a quarter of that. To top it off, the maker of the gimbals, is a great guy. He sent me a replacement throttle pot when I announced that mine was dead at Frugal's World. In three days I had it. I also spoke to him on the phone and he explained exactly what to do to replace the pot plus a few other hints.

Again, some say, "You just spent $300USD and now you are spending more?!" Yes, but with these mods, you will NEVER buy another HOTAS again. If you add in the Simpeds pedals which is also based on hall sensors, you will never have to deal with pots again. Yeah baby! 8)

I don't spend my money on beer, women and wine. I just spend it on my kids, computers and running shoes once every six months. ( That's for the shoes, BTW. :P )

Overkill does have a point. The Couger is an investment and not something you buy with the intention of throwing away in a year or two. Although I am unhappy with the stock feel it is the only Hotas completely modable by the owner. Mods range from $200 to $600 depending on what you want to do. These mods are all hand crafted and unique to each hotas. Stock out of the box it works great, but add one of these mods and your couger becomes personalized just for you. I am looking to get the Everstrain2 or (light) for around $200 pretty soon and that alone should keep my couger running for several years. To me that's worth the $200.