Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

ok heres an aircraft question...

In Vietnam the F-111 made it's debut,so where is it in SF? it was concidered a strike fighter...swing wings,2 man crew(side by side seating),and just a really neat looking ship.

just a thought.... :D

Well I would say that the designers must not of wanted to mess with the sweep wings. Not sure, just a guess.

But at the same time maybe they didnt use the F-111 because it wasnt very well known about in that time frame of US history. The first F-111's entered service in 1967, but with alot of problems. The engines were severly underpowered for the weight of the plane. The F-111 also had many structural failures in the early years. Also the Pave Tack Pod, Which really made the plane cool didnt make it into F-111 squadrons until 1981.

But the F-111 pilots were the ones to pioneer "skiing". This was using the TFR(terrain following radar) to stay at very low altitude in any weather or terrain.

I agree this would be a great plane to fly in the game though. I always wanted to recreate the attack on Quaddafi's palace. "Knock Knock Mother f***er". I believe this was what the pilot said as his bombs hit the palace. To bad Quadaffi wasnt home.

Sorry for the F@#ker MJ. I have typed words like this before and they always showed up in the forum as something other than the bad word. Not sure what happened this time? Once again I appologize to you and anyone else I may have offended.

P.S. It was a great quote though

That is weird, usually the forum changes them automatically, I wonder if it's the quotes. I'll check it out... :D

Got it, the er at the end threw it off. It's taken care of.

yeah,that swhat I figured....when you think of Vietnam the first aircraft that come to mind are- F-4,A-4,F-100,F-105,A-1,and B-52.The F-104 some but mention to anybody Vietnam and ask them about aircraft..the mian one is the F-4(EVERYBODY LOVES Da RHINO!!)and the B-52,oh yeah...the HUEY(we gotta figure out helos)

I guess the swing wings would have delayed things futher...

Id love to see an F111 in SF. I have the Time Life series on the "Vietnam Experiance". One of the books talks quite a bit about the F-111 and its use in 'Nam. Jag is correct about the structural problems. A lot of planes were lost, I think the book said half of the original contigent, because of a failure in the swing wings' pivot pins. They were actually pulled out of service for awhile until the problem was figured out. Apparently, planes were going out and not coming back, lost in the jungles somewhere. Once the problem was cleared up, they returned, I think the book said 1970 or '71. A standard large airstrike was usually followed by 2 or 3 single F-111's attacking just after the all clear was given. The NVN's hated it. By this time the plane had the laser designators and were very precise in their attacks. This would be VERY cool to model in the game.

Dagger, my dad was in Vietnam, and the planes he talks about were the F-101, the 105, the c-123 and the Huey. 1965-68. He also flew in the F-104 while stateside.

If my wish list was made:

F-105

F-101

B-52

and maybe the Huey.

My dad is a vet of Nam too, when I told him I got SF, and how its a Vietnam area game, and I told him there were no F-8's, A-7's, or A-6's, he went apesh*t. I told him I was gettin my ass kicked by migs, and he told me that F-4's only happened upon migs by accident, when he was on the Coral Sea (or was it the Oriskany), when an Alpha Strike went up they would send the flying Hydraulic leaks up (F-8's) to Da Nang, and lay in wait for the migs, F-4's would go in as fighter bombers, all those F-4 on mig kills we here about are just luck I guess. I really want the A-6 in the game, it had the absolute finest AS weapons system of its era, and served well in the Persian Gulf too, I could do without the F-8, because we already have a gun fighter in the game, and the F-4 serves as a good F/A, so I could do without the A-7, but the A-6 is definately a must.

On an A-6 related story. Pops told me about those pesky Russian Trollers that would shadow the CV's, and tell the gooks every time an A-6 pulled up with shrikes, so every damn radar site in N. Gookville would shut down in like 5 mins. Soon the navy decided the best way to handle the trollers was to send a Sea King over the troller and f*ck with its comm (the antenna's cant handle serious lowlevel propwash), and then they would move a destroyer up alongside of the troller so as to block visual. Then bring up the A-6's that were armed with telephone poles (i dont know the designation for this weapon just the knickname, but its anti-radar), while the Intruder was on the cat, he would lock up on the radar sites, before they launched, so the gooks could shut down if they wanted, but they were already f*cked!

Dont know why I put down this story, it just came to mind, as I dreamed of a flyable A-6.

Cheers,

Jay

I can understand you wanting the A-6, Snapple; but give some credit to the A-7 Corsair. They were quite capable bombers! Having been with two A-7 squadrons: VA-15 Valions, and VA-83 Rampagers, I would really like to see those aircraft added.

Plus, the RA-5C Vigilante. Although the "Heavies" were reconnaisance, they served a purpose. I still think the Viggie was such a beautiful aircraft to see in flight.

And don't leave out the Crusader. The predecessor to the A-7 was quite a formidible fighter.

Trivia question: When the F-8 wing moved, did the fuselage lower, or did the wing itself raise????

Chief W.

O thought it was the wing raising, but by the tone of that, I can tell you are going to say I am wrong.

Story on that wing told to me by Jay Huff, A-4 pilot and Adm. Huff's son, was that once a Crusader was wheeling around when the wing went into that launch attitude. When they found the pilot, his back was broken from the G-forces.

He also told me about the Crusader pilot that shot himself down. He shot his guns in a slightly up attitude, punched it, and flew into the slugs, right into the intakes.

I don't think they are sea stories, he is a pretty down to earth guy.

BTW, my dad was at Bien Hao, Tan Son Nhut, Phu Cat, Cam Ranh Bay, Chu Lai and more. When he was there, the F-105s were in Thailand only.

Cheif if it were up to me the whole damn naval arsenal would be flyable, even the E2C, I like the viggie too, and I wasnt discounting the A-7, its just that I think a tactical bomber should come before another Fighter Bomber, since the F-4 is already in (although its not a pure F/A), and that sh*tty A-4 is in, just having an A-6 loaded with snake eyes, would hot hot hot!!! Ooooo, oooo, they should add the Sea King, or Jolly Green (which ever paint job you prefer), so that we can do SAR missions into a hot LZ, with A-1's flyin in, oh god im getting goose bumps, thinking of the last scene in Flight of the Intruder.... It would be so f*cking bad ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wing raised, and if it didnt, its a poor design, come to think of it the whole damn plane was a poor design (planes came bad red after missions, and no its not from playing paintball), how bout them A-4's with nose gear that dont turn.

In Vietnam the F-111 made it's debut,so where is it in SF? it was concidered a strike fighter...swing wings,2 man crew(side by side seating),and just a really neat looking ship.

just a thought.... :D

TK said from day one this isn't a Viet Nam sim, and the aircraft chosen were the ones most familiar and used by allied world air forces. This was to make more people interested because they could fly the same era aircraft that their countries flew. I don't think I've ever seen F-111s in anything but US colors...I could be wrong. :)

111 is a sweet looking bird though. :mrgreen:

I am not sure I understand TK's intention then, because even the support aircraft are Vietnam era. And the Crusader was termed more of a pure dogfighter than the F-4, but not included? If your sim is about dogfighting, and includes the planes that it does for that reason, does it not seem logical that the Crusader would have been included?

I don't know. All of things in this sim give me pause. It's not supposed to be a hardcore sim, yet almost all the mods are making it that. Not that I don't approve, hardcore is my forte. I just don't understand making a sim with such crisp and complete aircraft models and not making it hardcore in the first place.

Guest Ranger332

http://www.xplanefreeware.net/freehost/wpnssgt/

THE "BUFF" IS DONE UNDERGOING FINAL FLIGHT TESTING NOW

B52_ingame6.jpg

HES ALSO DOING THESES TO

B-58 HUSTLER

B-47 STRATOJET

B-66 DESTROYER

CESSNA O-1 SKYMASTER

THESE WILL ASLO FOLLOW

United States

Republic F-105 Thunderchief - by Armourdave

Douglas F4D Skyray - by Armourdave

Vought F7U-3 Cutlass - by Armourdave

Republic P-47Q/XP-72 - by Armourdave

Chance-Vought F-8 Crusader - by Armourdave

Northrop F-5A Freedom Fighter/Tiger - by Armourdave

Convair F-102 Delta Dagger - by Lud von Pipper

North American YF-107 - by Fleet Defender

Grumman F11-F1 Tiger - by Fleet Defender

McDonnell F-101 Voodoo - by Lud von Pipper

Guest Ranger332
I am not sure I understand TK's intention then, because even the support aircraft are Vietnam era. And the Crusader was termed more of a pure dogfighter than the F-4, "

The "sader" was a gun platform only at that time the first real gun/missle platform was the F-4,but as you can see the F-8 is in the works.

The wing was considered to have a variable incidence. This was used for landing and take-off. The leading edge of the wing raised to provide the required angle of incidence. This allowed the aircraft to be flown at slow approach speeds, without having to pitch the nose up beyond a point where the pilot's forward visibility was restricted

What an ugly fu**ing plane the F-8 was!! Looks like a flyin bus with a hole in the front

And Ranger, dont forget about the 32, 2.75in rockets that were carried in the retractable drawer beneath the fuselage, and the 2 sidewinders that were mounted on rails on the forward fuselage, that went along with those 4, 20mm cannon

Guest Sony Tuckson

Just for info :wink:

The Aussies used the F-111 in the C version and also as a recce platform

two squadrons were equipped with the Aardvark

Cool info Sony, I wasn't aware. :)

OT:

Aussies also had a bunch of F-4Es from 69-73...which the US took back (leased I guess) and converted to F-4G Wild Weasels. :D

Guest Ranger332

03_04_002.jpg

03_04_003.jpg

03_04_004.jpg

03_05b01_002.jpg

03_05b01_003.jpg

LATEST on simhq