Sign in to follow this  
StormKnight

USSR and Russia weapons and planes

Only if you are a better pilot. I dont care how good a plane is, if the pilot of the opposing plane is better then you are done.

Yeah, no plane's idiot proof. There are quite a few air forces operating with the Su-27/30 family in the Asia-Pacific region and India is considered to be the only "professional" Air Force with them in service and the fact that they use western avionics and have the option of using some western weapons helps enormously. Not even the Russian in service models are said to be as advanced. I’d hate to think what a fully westernised Su-27/30 with “professional” pilots (by that I mean with anywhere near the amount of training the USAF pilots receive) would be capable of if the current model can outfight an F-15 in one to one.

Appologies to the Chinese but many governments, MoD's etc still don't believe the PLAAF is at a truly professional level yet which is a shame and can only result in monumental badness for strategic planners. Particularly if the PLA-N get their carrier into service any time soon...

I do recall an F-86 pilot that took out two MiG-21's in one of the Indian/Pakistan border disputes. My point is you have a tremendous advantage with a jet you can yank and bank without fear of departure. The Su-27 stands alone as almost unlimited in that capability. Knowing this, of course, the wise pilot when taking one on, just refuses to enter into the arena.

Also, don’t ever forget the likes of Nguyen Nhat Chieu or Nguyen Van Coc (http://www.acepilots.com/vietnam/viet_aces.html) and their like who exploited the F-4’s shortcomings during the Vietnam war with supposedly “inferior” aircraft. Agility can be irrelevant in knife fights sometimes, particularly if an R-73 or AIM-9X or those big russian guns are invovled...

Dawar and Sinhji were being guided by a Signals Unit, which was supposed to warn them of possible PAF fighters in their area. But for some reason, when the two pilots were nearing Sulaimanke, the Singals Unit's RT went silent. The two pilots took it for granted that it was a safety measure taken by the SU.

In a another one of my older books, It is mentioned that Sinhji' bird was hit by AAA, that is why I said the PAF pilot, supposedly shot down the MiG.

now if the F-86 was around, why didn't he take a shot at the second MiG??Why did the SU not warn the MiGs of the F-86 on their tail. Why didn't Dawar try and engage the F-86?? These are the some questions that I have, which hopefully will be answered ine thupcoming book "Indo-Pak Air War of 1971".

I do agree with your point that a jet driven by a capable pilot can take on advanced jet with a less capable pilot. In the 65 War, a badly wounded IAF pilot(Sqdn Ldr A Devayya) in his badly damaged Mystere IVA managed to shoot down a PAF F-104A before going down with his a/c. he was awarded the Maha Vir Chakra, India's second highest War Medal, posthumously. Similarly an IAF Hunter pilot managed to badly damage a PAF Mirage IIIEP before getting shot down and killed by a F-86.

Here's a little extract from No.20 Sqdn's book about a second inident of Mirage getting in trouble with a Hunter.. The sqdn were flying Hunters during the 1971 War.

Looking forward to the books publish date. Many good fights without proper coverage.

Jug,

In case you are interested, the same authors released their book, "Indo-Pak Air War of 1965" last year. It contains some good accounts of missions flown by the IAF during the war.....loved the way the authors neatly explained how PAF's claim that one of their pilots (Sqdn Ldr M M Alam) shot down five hunters in a day was just hot air....it was just propoganda by the PAF.

Older Soviet Aviation is just as interesting as the newer airframes. Su-7 Su-9, and the Su-17. I am surprised that newer Russian aircraft have not ben created. The Su-22, 24, 27, or 37 for that matter. MiGs too! MiG 27, 29, 31, or 1.44 MFI. More MiGs or Sukhoi's = more targets or allies. you choose.

hi guys! is the Su-27 already done?

where can we find it?

Hello All. I am new to the modeling community ..and still learning... So far I managed this...as you can see still a bit of problems

1tq4.jpg

2gr2.jpg

3ht1.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Edited by Veltro2k

Guest capun

Is the problem the size or the wheels under the runway. I thought the second issue was fixed already.

If this is the size issue do this in 3DS Max

- Save your file (always do back-ups)

- Be sure that 3DS Max is set for a Metric units, 1 meter scale.

- Be sure that the system units are set for metric. 1 meter scale too (there are two separate units that can screw you up)

- Select all the plane meshes

- Select the 3DS Max measurement tool

- See if the x,y,z values match the actual plane

- If not scale to size (look at how to do RESET XFORM)

- If correct, select the fuselage

- Measure the size

- Right click on the mouse and check the properties

- The x,y,z values should match the 3DS Max Measurement tool.

- If they don't match, caused by scaling, rotation, etc do a XFORM RESET (see next line first)

- To do a XFORM RESET, you need to have the meshes unlinked, and in some cases devoid of UVMaps and material. This is critical since if they are linked you get weird results and you cannot undo.

Apply a XFORM RESET then convert back to Editable Mesh or Editable Poly.

- Check properties once more.

I have run into this issue many times where one of the units or the properties were not correct.

See if this helps

there is also a Mig-25 out there... and Wpnssgt was working on another model 25 IIRC.

A couple of TU-16's, TU-22 is flyable from SFP1. 2 TU-95's (Julhem and Pasko I think)

Where can I find the Tu-95?

I see from the discussion that MontyCZ's Yak-28 ( Brewer & Firebar ) were omitted from the discussion. They should still be avaible at AVSIM.

IIRC, we have availible :

MiG-15 - Pasko

MiG Pack by Madcaddie ( Oodles of MiG-17/19/21 variations )

MiG-15UTI - Pasko

MiG-17AS - Pasko

MiG-19M with IRM -me

MiG-21F-13 - MF

MiG-23MS - MF

MiG-23M - MF

MiG-23MF - MF

MiG-23ML - MF

MiG-23MLD - MF

MiG-25 - wpnssgt

MiG-27 - TW

MiG-29A - wpnssgt

Mi-24 - Cap & Crew

La-15 - Pasko

Su-7BMK - me

Su-9A - Pasko

Su-9B - Pasko

Su-11 - Pasko

Su-15A - boopidoo

Su-15TM - boopidoo

Su-17 - AD

Tu-4 - MontyCZ

Tu-16A - Pasko

Tu-16C - Pasko

Tu-16G - Pasko

Tu-22K - Pasko & me

Tu-22P - me

Tu-22R - me

Yak-15 - Pasko

Yak-25 - Pasko

Yak-25B - Pasko

Yak-25RV - Pasko

Yak-28B - MontyCZ

Yak-28P - MontyCZ

And this doesn't count a whole bunch of propeller birds ( MiGs, Laggs, & Yaks by Pasko, Cap, & Wolf257. Or Chinese/Indian specific a/c that I released.

As for in the works :

MiG-25 Bomb Bat

MiG-29A by MF

MiG-29G

MiG-29K

MiG-31

M-50 Bounder

Su-25 x2

Su-27

Hong-6

new F-7/J-7 models

J-8 Finback II

Tu-128

Tu-95

Yak-30

Yak-38

MiG-9

MiG-13

Yak-23

New MiG-17PFU

MiG-19PM

MiG-21-93

MiG-21bis

MiG-21 LANCER

And I'm sure that I've missed a few...

Edited by howling1

IIRC, we have availible :

MiG-27 - TW

Yak-15 - Pasko

Where can I find them? And what happen to Pasko Mostly Mig site?

The Mig-27 is currently only available in Wings Over Europe (TW = Third Wire) No reasons I know of why it wouldn't work in SF or WoV, but you'd still need to purchase WoE to get it.

Last I heard Pasko was out of town & his site was down for maintenance ( I sent Pasko the radar data for the Bear awhile back ). Hopefully C/A will have all of his birds for D/L in the future. TW's MiG-27 needs a pit. I've been fiddling around with the Indian version, but have run into some problems concerning avionics, and due to pesky RL demands on my scarce free time haven't really been able to give it the attention that it deserves...

Edited by howling1

Last I heard Pasko was out of town & his site was down for maintenance ( I sent Pasko the radar data for the Bear awhile back ). Hopefully C/A will have all of his birds for D/L in the future. TW's MiG-27 needs a pit. I've been fiddling around with the Indian version, but have run into some problems concerning avionics, and due to pesky RL demands on my scarce free time haven't really been able to give it the attention that it deserves...

I saw a picture of the Flanker up the thread. Anybody have news on its progress? I can't wait.

Scrapper

I saw a picture of the Flanker up the thread. Anybody have news on its progress? I can't wait.

Scrapper

Waiting for a pit to be done.

Bah, you can't just release the bird and work on the pit then? I can stand using a converted F-4 office.

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease? I vant to keel somezing worthy of my Sparrows, not ze silly Yak's and MiG's!

Edited by Sky Captain

Bah, you can't just release the bird and work on the pit then? I can stand using a converted F-4 office.

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease? I vant to keel somezing worthy of my Sparrows, not ze silly Yak's and MiG's!

I sort of agree with Sky Captain, but I would rather use it with a great accurate cockpit. There are not enough good russian cockpits out there.

Scrapper

Well, I can wait for a good cockpit. But I can't wait for the plane. :P

This is driving me nuts! All these high-tech American and British ******* to fly in, but almost no good Soviet fighters to drive. :crazy:

Well, I can wait for a good cockpit. But I can't wait for the plane. :P

This is driving me nuts! All these high-tech American and British ******* to fly in, but almost no good Soviet fighters to drive. :crazy:

Here Here! I've been dying to make a AC4 Yellow Sqn skin for ages now!! Worth the wait in the end though!

Here Here! I've been dying to make a AC4 Yellow Sqn skin for ages now!! Worth the wait in the end though!

I just need a worthy opponent to use for AMRAAM or ASRAAM fodder. It will be really cool to fly though.

Scrapper

Really cool is an understatement.

Now if TW could introduce flameouts, leeky fuel lines, and hydrolic failures; the russians planes would be more realistic.

Scrapper

:tongue:

Edited by scrapper

Now if TW could introduce flameouts, leeky fuel lines, and hydrolic failures; the russians planes would be more realistic.

Don't you mean the USN :tongue: jk.

I'd always heard russian engines were complete dogs and maintenance hungry like a tomcat... Something like 50 maintenace hours per flight hour for a tommy. Something like that.

Don't you mean the USN :tongue: jk.

I'd always heard russian engines were complete dogs and maintenance hungry like a tomcat... Something like 50 maintenace hours per flight hour for a tommy. Something like that.

The Russian MIG-29s have fairly short lives, but that is because they also have poor maintanance. On the hand former East German MIG-29s that served with reunified Germany were much better maintained, and were more reliable.

Scrapper