Sign in to follow this  
NH2112

Anyone still flying Jane's F15?

It's the latest sim I have that'll work on my other PC - my Cougar's not up & running so I'm stuck with FLCS/TQS/RCS on a 400MHz PII. Are there any good flight training tutorials for it? Compared to sims like Falcon 3.0 and 4.0 the training portion of F15's manual really sucks and if I can ever manage to get this wallowing cow on the ground in 1 piece every time I'd like to have something a little more detailed and structured than the manual to go by.

It's the latest sim I have that'll work on my other PC - my Cougar's not up & running so I'm stuck with FLCS/TQS/RCS on a 400MHz PII. Are there any good flight training tutorials for it? Compared to sims like Falcon 3.0 and 4.0 the training portion of F15's manual really sucks and if I can ever manage to get this wallowing cow on the ground in 1 piece every time I'd like to have something a little more detailed and structured than the manual to go by.

I still fly the game, very good fm and graphics aren't bad even now. I don't know of any sites with info specifically for this game.

heres a link for ya...one of my first sims..loved it.Sory but one of the few i still have book marked.Try a search for it..there should be a few sites left.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/15bldhlp/

It's a great, very realistic, sim. It has an excellent mission creation program. Its graphics are very good for its era. I have it on my old PII, 450 mhz, w/Win98SE, VooDoo 2 graphics and on my PIV, 3.6 ghz, w/WinXP, nVidia6600 256 mb, and Zeckenseck's glide wrapper. It is more stable on the older system.

Landing the "wallowing cow" is easier than you might think, but you cannot plop it down on the runway. I had trouble landing it at first, but it is easy now.

Try this. At about five miles out keep your speed to about 200 miles per hour. Use a a low angle approach to touchdown: That is, keep the flight path very flat as you near the end of the runway. Stay at around 200 mph as long as you can, and begin to decrease speed gradually about one mile out. Just before touchdown you cannot make large adjustments like pushing the nose down or pulling it up sharply. Note: Be sure to set up you HUD to show the throttle percentage that is applied. This really helps flight control.

Have fun.

I still have my "Manual". More than happy to help. It's ironic I popped in the other day......still a classic.

Hey NH2112, I still occasionally fly F-15. It looks amazing on my older system with AXP 1.6 Ghz and a Voodo5 running @ 4xAA.

The best tutorials I ever saw for this sim were some articles that appeared in the now defunct Debrief magazine and Computer Gaming World. There used to be tutorials on a few sites but I think the sites are long shut down.

I trust you've flown the training missions that are included; they're quite good. The trick to landing is learning how to use the air brake just right. Make sure you cover all of the training missions before you attempt any real missions. This flight sims just a bit too hard core to be approached any other way.

I haven't flew in a month or so but what I was doing was flying the landing training mission over and over, usually with nothing but AA instead of the default loadout. The last time I "landed" an F15 was back in the F15 SEIII days, but I think there just might be a bit of difference in the FMs. SEIII seemed pretty realistic for the day, though. What I've flown more than anything else was F16s (Falcon 3.0, some B2B) and once I got the relationship between throttle, stick, AOA, and flight path marker landing them became pretty routine. I'm in the process of moving now, but not sure whether I'm going to stay at the job I currently have (a new one that doesn't seem as promising after 6 weeks) so until I have a permanent residence to fly out of I'm staying off the sims LOL

The first time I saw it I said, I want that game...4 years later I bought a PC and it was the first game I bought and I have been playing it since. I admit that I like better F/A-18 but after it was stolen F-15 have always been there.

Usually weekly I create a mission to fight with Iran and then month later after I forget where the sams and things are I fly the mission.

I wish there would be a game where you put the enemy inventory and you put your inventory and money and make the two teams fight. If something it's destroy, it will be remembered in the next mission. I think that it is the only thing that today's sim are missing.

I wish there would be a game where you put the enemy inventory and you put your inventory and money and make the two teams fight. If something it's destroy, it will be remembered in the next mission. I think that it is the only thing that today's sim are missing.

Falcon 3.0 had a dynamic campaign like this (way back in 1992!), and I'm pretty sure Falcon 4.0 and Falcon 4:Allied Force do as well.

Guest IndioBlack
It's a great, very realistic, sim. It has an excellent mission creation program. Its graphics are very good for its era. I have it on my old PII, 450 mhz, w/Win98SE, VooDoo 2 graphics and on my PIV, 3.6 ghz, w/WinXP, nVidia6600 256 mb, and Zeckenseck's glide wrapper. It is more stable on the older system.

Landing the "wallowing cow" is easier than you might think, but you cannot plop it down on the runway. I had trouble landing it at first, but it is easy now.

Try this. At about five miles out keep your speed to about 200 miles per hour. Use a a low angle approach to touchdown: That is, keep the flight path very flat as you near the end of the runway. Stay at around 200 mph as long as you can, and begin to decrease speed gradually about one mile out. Just before touchdown you cannot make large adjustments like pushing the nose down or pulling it up sharply. Note: Be sure to set up you HUD to show the throttle percentage that is applied. This really helps flight control.

Have fun.

You appear to be flying this on Win XP. Did you have any issues with installing and running it. And can you tell me if you have a patch that enables you to run in Direct X rather than 3DFX ?

F-15 is the game that got me hooked on flight sims. Especially loved how you could jump in the back seat and change the fire rate of the cannon and stuff, it impressed me back then when I was younger, and stuck with me. Wow it's been a long time since I've played that....................