Sign in to follow this  
S.Rayburn

Greatest Military-Based Movie

Well seeing how I'm in the US Army, my favorite is an Army movie, next is a Marine movie. I have two favorites, one an oldie and one a more recent movie.

Black Hawk Down - 123 elite U.S. soldiers drop into Somalia to capture two top lieutenants of a renegade warlord and find themselves in a desperate battle with a large force of heavily-armed Somalis. One of my very good friends (Pvt. John Waddell) actually fought that day in Somalia.

Heartbreak Ridge - A hard-nosed, hard-living Marine gunnery sergeant (Clint Eastwood) clashes with his superiors and his ex-wife as he takes command of a spoiled recon platoon with a bad attitude.

Edited by S.Rayburn

Heartbreak Ridge and We Were Soldiers......followed by Sands of Iwo Jima....

Band of Brothers was so much more in-depth and true then Saving Private Ryan.

Apocolpyse Now is a classic...personal favorite... and REDUX is so much better.

Flight of the Intruder has got to be in the top 5

but.....

My personal favorite is:

Dirty Dozen

Great Escape

The Siege of Firebase Gloria

In Harms Way

Flight of the Intruder

Bat21

Das Boot,THE greateast war time movie ever

Band of Brothers

Patton,Tweleve O'clock High(a tie here)

Apocolpyse Now,REDUX is the stuff,gotta agree with Fates.

I loved most of the already mentioned titles.

One of the most sweeping and cinimatic as well as ambitios has to be The longest day

also Tora Tora Tora watch that and Pearl Harbor back to back for a good laugh.

I also loved

Gallipoli

the Beast

Stalingrad

Enemy at the gates had it's moments for me too.

there many i've seen lately.... all good

like We were Soldiers... really good movie!

Platoon,Full Metal Jacket, Apocolpyse Now Redux (3 and a half hours OMG :\ lonnnng but good)

Blackhawk Down is my favorite...!

there is also Hot Shots (1 & 2) but thier parodies about TopGun (great movie as well) and other "war" movies like rambo

Probably Battle of Britain but The Cruel Sea, Angels One Five & loads of others would be in there too.

& let's not forget Top Gun for some light relief & corny moments ...

oh damn, yeah Buff battle of britain, Dam Busters, and lets not forget :Sink the Bismarck"

Definite fan of "Stiff Upper Lip" british war movies. Dam Busters, a favorite. Sink the Bismark and Cruel Sea were good also. The Longest Day had some great moments, [para drop sequence was great and the Free French Harbour Assault was one of the best long scenes ever filmed. About 90 sec. I think.] Also, a "Bridge too Far" had some great moments. [Para Drop sequences were awsome.] Still, hard to beat "Patton" with George C. Scott. Regards.

To be hoinest there are too many war movies that are good to be named.

Here's some obscure one's allfrom the late '70s early '80s.

Boys in Company "C", R. Lee's first movie. This is where he got type cast as a Drill instructor. :crazy:

Go Tell the Spartans

The Odd Angry Shot, Australian SAS in Viet Nam

The Bedford Incident, Great Cold War naval drama. From the sixties.

The Cockleshell Heroes

The Dogs Of War

Here's a foggy one. Did anyone see a movie called "84 Charlie MoPic"?

It's a Vietnam flick filmed like a documentary, and the first time I saw it I really thought it was real. It's one of those midnight movies that would come on HBO. Check it out guys, it's rare, so ya gotta look for it, but it was a good movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096744/

Found it on IMDB

And for a good aviation movie, check out "Dark Blue World" It's about czech fighter pilots that flee and fight with the U.K. in the Battle of Britain. The director used footage from the original BoB movie, but spiced it up with new effects. The only downside is that there's a love triangle portion, but if you can get past that, it blows Pearl Harbor out of the water. :tomato:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244479/

Edited by zagnut

They're not "war movies" in the traditional sense, but "The Wind And The Lion" and "Farewell To The King" are 2 great "movies with conflicts." Also, "The Lighthorsemen."

I'm actually amazed no one listed"A bridge too far".

Until the "Saving Private Ryan" era of graphic realism this was THE combat film.

Band of Brothers was awesome. 84 Charlie mopic was good. Hamburger hill was a sleeper but damn fine.

I also like the Sharpe and Horatio Hornblower series.

Patton has a few arguable moments, but George C. Scott did a masterful job.

almost forgot."the Blue Max" greatest WW1 movie I've ever seen.

Forgot about "A Bridge To Far", another one from the early '80's that was outstanding is "The Big Red One". Lee Marvin's charachter was very belivable in that film.

Another two good Naval movies,

Away All Boats

They Were Expendable

Someone has to mention "The Hunters" for the flight scenes. It was george daddy-o.

My favorite has to be Blackhawk Down. That movie made me laugh, cry, get mad and feel proud.

Platoon, definitly No 1 is Oliver Stones Platoon

and the best movie for the winged troopes was the soviet/french "Normandy-Njemen"

Saw on Amazon.UK you can get a copy DVD of the original Dambusters from 2pnd to 21pnd used and new.

Have to pick one up to put with the remake that I hear is coming out. Wonder whos going to portray Gibson?

Sir Anthony Hopkins would be great for the Professor.....(without going to look) whats his name?