Sign in to follow this  

Okay, looks like I'm the only one to be posting this, but the new patches screw up WoV for me royally. I made a brand new install of WoV in a HD separate from my existing install (need to free up space on the current drive) and when I saw the new patch, I thought great! I download the most current patch (7.10.06) and try to install it. No joy. Says that I need the newest service update. So I download the last patch (5.whatever) then install the newest patch.

Now, I stress this - I HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING OTHER THAN INSTALL THE GAME AND PATCHES.

However, when I click "Single Mission" I get no airplanes, no locations, not type of mission, nothing. When I click on any of the other buttons, I get a black screen and have to restart my computer.

I have installed and re-installed DX9.0c from June (the current one on the DX website) with no effect so that's no the problem. Prior to the patch, everything worked fine. Now I can't get ahold of SP4 again to be able to install it and get a working version, so I guess I'm stuck for now.

Any ideas/help/information on what to do?

Try installing the latest Service Pack again. (05.15.06, I believe) Even if you've installed the patches, installing it overwrites the files (or seems to anyways), then try playing before installing the patches.

But you should take all that with a mountain of salt, as I'm no expert on troubleshooting. I've little doubt someone will come up with a better/proven remedy.

Edit: On second thought, you might want to just reinstall the whole game. A big hassle, I know, but if there's missing files (And that's what it sounds like to me), just the service pack might not fix it.

Edited by Sky Captain

Sounds like a case of not patching in order to me.

Sounds like a case of not patching in order to me.

Okay.... I'm sorry, did you just not read what I typed? It is IMPOSSIBLE to patch in the wrong order. When I attempted to install the July patch (the one just released) without installing the May patch, it told me I couldn't. I installed the May patch, had the problem, then installed the July patch and STILL have the problem.

Edit: On second thought, you might want to just reinstall the whole game. A big hassle, I know, but if there's missing files (And that's what it sounds like to me), just the service pack might not fix it.

Guess you can't read either. :rtfm:

I'm sorry, but this is one thing that really irritates me more than anything else. I was very careful in what I posted and I ensured that I posted EXACTLY what I did, and yet I get replies like these that tell me to do exactly what I've already done.

CAP;

Sounds like you're frustrated and I guess I would be too, however going off on those that are trying to help you probably isn't the best option if you really want some help. My two cents for what they are worth.

Anyway, I was reading this: http://www.thirdwire.com/downloads_wov.htm

I'm sure you have that link to the WOV updates and patches, but in reading the text for each of the files it's apparent to me that the update must be applied first then the patch.

Remove and re-install a new installation of WOV (you said you had a secondary drive you were installing to which will leave your working or old copy alone, that's great). Once the new installation is done update to the latest service pack: Service Pack v05.15.06. Then as mentioned try the game to see if the update is viable for you or not. Then I'd patch to the latest patch: Patch v07.10.06 to see if that's working for you.

Once we narrow down the issue a bit we'll probably have more solutions for you.

Let us know.

Just what kind of advice were you expecting?

You did something wrong somewhere. These guys have told you exactly what you need to do in order to fix it. If you are not willing to re-install the sim, you are out of luck...

Edit: And you did patch in the wrong order... I just duplicated your problem by doing so. Be sure to install 05.15.06 followed by 07.10.06.

Edited by Bunyap

Perhaps install the 2nd patch from May 052506.

Just what kind of advice were you expecting?

You did something wrong somewhere. These guys have told you exactly what you need to do in order to fix it. If you are not willing to re-install the sim, you are out of luck...

Edit: And you did patch in the wrong order... I just duplicated your problem by doing so. Be sure to install 05.15.06 followed by 07.10.06.

Verified Buny as I tried it too and got same issue. He patched out of order.

I don't know how many times I have to say this before you get it through your thick skulls becuase I was very clear the first, second, AND third times I told you this-

I INSTALLED THE MAY PATCH FIRST AND THEN THE JULY PATCH. I GET THE RESULT WHEN PATCHING JUST THE MAY PATCH AND THEN IT REMAINS WHEN I ADD THE JULY PATCH.

I cannot understand why you people can't get that basic concept.

Verified Buny as I tried it too and got same issue. He patched out of order.

I don't know how you did it out of order. The patch won't let you.

Here, look at the attached screenshot. This is what I get when I attempt to install the July patch WITHOUT installing the May patch.

post-14609-1153059961_thumb.jpg

Edited by CAPFlyer

Patch with the 05-15-06 patch, the 05-25-06 patch and the 7-10-06 patch. You only patched with 2. There are 2 May patches. Get that through your head....

I suggest you contact the vendor, this thread and your account is now closed.

Regards

Well it patched for me dude then crashed on start up. Keep the attitude up man....and you can seek life elsewhere.

Oops Erik took care of it....