Sign in to follow this  
mdmckeever

The War In Israel

Recently, (Last week) A war broke out in the middle east between Israel and Lebanon. I've been keeping my eye on this war since it started. Watching artillery strikes and bombing raids. Anybody have any idea what aircrafts they are using in their strikes on Lebanon? This picture is of an Israeli airstrike against a bridge in Lebanon.

post-5715-1153458331_thumb.jpg

The Israelis have been pretty tight-lipped about aircraft and munitions utilized, which in MHO is a good thing, but I have

been flying a lot of F-16 missions with Gepard's excellent Israel 1.5 terrain in the last few days.

I found excellent skins for the F-16A Netz, B, C and D Bakreet. Strike flights in 2006 have been met by flights of MiG-29

and Su-27s. It is hard getting flights to the lebanon area, as most are versus Egypt. I hope that doesn't happen

in real life.

Any of you campaign crafters thinking of a recreation?

Heck, I'd make one if the DCE by Lowengrin got updated for use in an SP4 environment ...

Edited by Spectre_USA

The IAF (Israeli AirForce) is flying mostly american fighters like the F-15 series or F-16´s. They also have an enterprise called IAI (Israeli Aircraft Industries) which is building or modernise existing Fighters to new level of radar and armed devices. They started this enterprise in the late 70´s i assume with the first Mirage III they received. An other famous aircraft of that program is the "IAI - KFIR", an intercept fighter build on the basis of the Mirgae. The first american fighters, except the F-4 Phantom´s and Skyhawks, Israel obtained in the first Gulf War 1991. They had a deal with the U.S. government and for not taking part in the war they got the first 25 F-15A´s or F-15 BaZ so the original IAI appellation. Today the got F-15 C´s, F-15-E´s and multiple F-16´s series in duty. I searched a few pictures of the IAF´s fighters...

IAI - KFIR

kfir_p13.jpg

F-15 A

F-15sbase.jpg

F-15 I (IAI)

F15_IAF.jpg

F-15 E

f15I.jpg

F-16 I (IAI)

f16i.jpg

F-16 B

IAF-F-16-3.JPG

F-16 C (Block 52)

IAF_F-16.jpg

AH-64 D Apache Longbow

longbow.jpg

and some other nice shots :spiteful:

f16-f15.jpg

pair.jpg

Edited by FLT

Israel recieved Mirage III C(J)s prior to the Six Day War which took place in 1967.

The F-4E Phantom II arrived just in-time to participate in the War of Attrition (1969-71).

Prior to the Yom Kippur War in 1973 Israel recieved another badge of F-4Es as attrition replacements.

Meanwhile France had placed a weapons embargo upon Israel and reclined to deliver surplus Mirages and vessels.

Therefore Israels intelligence agency (known as "Mossad") stole both, the Mirage's lueprints and the vessles out of France.

Later, Israel started to produce their own Mirages - they began with the IAI Nesher, which was an Mirage 5 derviative (basicly a Mirage III stripped of RADAR and bad-weather avionics; initially offered to Israel as "launch customer").

However, the weapons embargo included the SNECMA Atar jet-enngines of the Mirages.

Therefore, Israel was in need of replacing enignes in surplus-built Neshers.

Out of this urge, IAI develloped the "Kfir" which was basicly a Nesher with a GE J79 engine.

The new engine delivered more thrust, but also increased weight. All in all the Kfir represented a decent fighter-bomber and saw heavy action in the war with Lebanon and Syria in 1982.

Both, the Nesher (exp. name "Dagger") and the Kfir were exported: the Daggers went to Argentinia, where they saw action against the British fleet. The Kfirs were exported to Columbia and the USA (for adversary training;dubbed F-21s).

In the late 70, Israel also recived a new batch of high-tech from the US:

F-15A/Bs (dubbed "Baz") and F-16 A/Bs (dubbed "Netz").

F-15s and F-16s earned their respect among the IDF for acts such as destroying the iraqi nuclear reactor near bagdhad (Osirak) and bombing the PLO headquarters in Tunis.

Furthermore, both types saw heavy action in the '82 war against Syria and the Lebanon.

Israeli Baz and Netz scored a total of 84 aerial victories in the so-called Bekaa-Valley Turkey Shooting; that stood against no losses.

Later, the amount of F-15s and F-16s was increased: Isreal recieved more F-15A/B, but also C/D models.

Same happened to the F-16 fleet: Israel recieved F-16 Block 30s and 40s and old Block 10 Alpha-models (from US-stocks).

The newest member of the F-15 fleet is the F-15I "Ra'am" which is nothing but an F-15E with differnt avionics (the one that is dubbed "F-15E" in the post above; the "F-15I" is, in fact a B or D model).

The newset F-16 fleet member is the F-16I "Sufa", which is basicly an F-16 C Blk. 52+ with differnt avionics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have left out the IAI Lavi and the "Kurnass 2000" projects.

I know that for a little while the US Navy and US Marine Corps leased some IAI Kfirs form Isreal in the early 80's and returned them in the early 90's when the US Navy recieved the F-16N.

Here are some links to shots of the F-21 in action with VMFAT-101 or VF-43 (the aggressors at Top Gun and Strike U).

A trio of F-21's of VMFAT-101 over the Yuma Desert

A section of VF-43 F-21's over Lake Tahoe prior to coming back into a range at NAS Fallon

There has been some talk about the IA/SDF upgrading their F-16s to Blk 60 standard, but I can't seem to find anything online that is more than conjecture. Could someone shed some light on this...?

Ok, thanks. I knew they were flying American made jets such as the F-15 and F-16 but I didnt know about the Mirage. It would be nice to have an Israeli vs. Lebanon strike mission.

There are many fake news coming from unbelievable sources. They can not be believed eyes closed.Im not saying that this is false news but am just suggesting that any news cannot be fully believed till it comes from an Israeli News channel or websites or any other reliable source

There are many fake news coming from unbelievable sources. They can not be believed eyes closed.Im not saying that this is false news but am just suggesting that any news cannot be fully believed till it comes from an Israeli News channel or websites or any other reliable source

:blink: man, what kind of source do you expect? hamas news?

This thread is 3 years old. [2]

And how much you want to bet we never see a post from him again?

Thread necromancy is acceptable when it's relevant to something, but simply to make a meaninglessly general statement about outdated news :mellow:

Quick, someone pull up a thread criticizing Clinton about that Lewinsky thing...