Sign in to follow this  
Sky Captain

Your Favorite 'Oldies'

I was playing Battle of Britain (you know, that old one from Empire Interactive) yesterday, andjust randomly out of the blue thought about what other older games others might still play. So, what are some 'classic' flight sims (or games in general) that you play?

I myself like a good bout with some Air Pirates occasionally. (I have yet to see another arcadey flight sim that's equal to Crimson Skies - Except for maybe War Hawks, but that's still to be released)

Now this makes me feel old, if my wife hadn't tossed my old C64 I'd still be messing around with Stealth Mission. :crazy:

Man, what about Jet figher(s) -1,2? JF3 was not that good. Or F-19, F-15 Strike Eagle (SE3 was my fave); F-117 Nighthawk, Chuck Yeagers' Combat Fight Sim, Chuck Yeagers Flight Trainer, Heros of the 357th, Pacific Fighter (not the IL2 version, this one was from Orion), anyone remember the expansion pack? That game with somwhere around 12 floppy disks.

Wow, just thinking aobut those makes good memories come back. I remember I was 13 or so when I shot down my first German fighter in Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Man, I was so happy.

Edited by zagnut

Guest 531_Ghost

Are you guys still flying Chuck Yeagers Air Combat?

My favorite oldies are Fleet Defender Gold, which I'm still playing thanks to a DOS emulator (nothing illegal here, I actually own the game, the emulator allows me to run it), Tomcat: The F-14 Simulator for my 29-year-old Atari VCS (aka Atari 2600), maybe Janes USNF 97, though it doesn't run very stable on WinXP.

Edited by Caesar

Anyone here heard of Airpower? It was like the predecessor to Crimson Skies, with Airship based air forces and all. Great fun to play, but sadly no DOS emulator I've found can run it, and XP can't seem to run early 1990's games for beans.

Sky Captain, what emulator are you running? I've got DOS Box and it can run just about anything up to 1994, but the catch is you usually have to install the games through Windows command prompt first, then either set up a front-end to read their executables, or whip out the old DOS knowledge in the emulator (cd\ etc.) If you can install them in Windows, or an older machine, then cut the installed files and move them to your newer machine, they should be runnable.

I'm not currently running one, but DOSbox is what I used. It looks to be the one with the widest range of supported games.

If you know of one that supports Airpower, or the old Jetfighter games, I'd be much obliged.

Red Baron 3-D one of the greatest ever!

Did everyone forget the best of the aged? It has to be European Air War for certain..It was the first really cool combat flight sim. I still play it on occassion....:D

Good ole' EAW.. Man, I think that was the first WWII Flight Sim that had real physics in terms of turning stall and falling tracers rounds. I remember actually learning to use speed in tactics for the first time. :good:

Mad oh mad Jeff, Happy Birthday ! I see the old Geezers are still at it. And if so, where is the long promised and awaited Skyray, the glamour queen of them all. Still waiting. take care.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Falcon 3.0 or Tornado, which are my favorites.

Flight of the Intruder, 1988 – The Sim was released with a free copy of Stephen Coonts book, he advised the game developers.

By today’s standards it looks rough as old boots, but they did model the DIANE for the A-6 and head down in the scope running in from the IP, its never been topped!

Guest Sony Tuckson

F-16 agressor....quite nice back then

the real first was yeager's air combat!

I still Fly EF2000v2.0 3DFX version :ok:

and Recently I have run the Dos version of EF2000 Strategic Command by Flyin Muffin Pretty cool program I just cant get to Fly the missions I create with SC!!

Edited by The_Nephilim

I still Fly EF2000v2.0 3DFX version :ok:

and Recently I have run the Dos version of EF2000 Strategic Command by Flyin Muffin Pretty cool program I just cant get to Fly the missions I create with SC!!

So right man! EF2000 was the coolest, scariest, best combat flight sim ever to grace a PC! But it only ran in DOS. Then they ‘updated’ it and the latest version is reduced to the level of a video game, so disappointing!

Ive still got Aces of the Pacific by Sierra...think Ill give it a whirl...

Aces of the Pacific used to be my favorite "fun" flight sim. Nothing was better than climbing in my P38 and mixing it up - get some altitude, dive into the Jap formation, pick out a target, a little bit of .50 chatter and a "thump thump thump" from the 20mm and he's done. Climb using the airspeed you gained in yout dive and do the whole thing over again :-)