Sign in to follow this  
Mark5388196

Skinning From Scratch for Idiots.

Hello all,

I wanna start skinning some aircraft, but I would like to know what I need and some easy ways to skin. Thanks,

Mark

Hi.

What you need is an image editing programme like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, the GIMP etc. , the template for what you want to skin & some artistic talent (which is where I fall down :close_tema: ).

You can find some tutorials on sites like http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/articles.php

Okay i have to admit that the GIMP is scaring me, and im just trying to DL it PLZ HELP.

Mark

P.S. Warning my first painting will consist of making an aircraft with targets on it :)

Edited by Mark5388196

I think the download and use of a paint program is just a wee bit beyond the scope of these forums.

I'd recommend playing around with it, checking out the capabilities, then looking into the skinning aspect...

Okay everyone I have finished my first skin (I think) it is REALLY BAD, but I dont have acces to WoV atm so I would appreciate a brave soul to test it. I used the A-10 and i modified it sliglhtly. I changed the Mapping files and remaned them. I used the ones under the subfolder "OT". I dont know if this will do anything, if I need to do more or if this modifys anything else. If you would like to test this plz respond here and I will e-mail it to you. Screenshots would be nice but WARNING, this is COMPLETLEY UN-TESTED!!!!

Mark

Some stuff I wrote while skinning for the IL-2 series...

GIMP Tutorials

(Mostly)Skinning Tutorials

Hope these help some. If you have any questions about skinning or GIMP in particular, don't hesitate to ask!

P.S. Don't rename the skin's .bmp files. They need to retain the original names to be properly used by the 3D model. Just put them in their own folder.

Edited by Jarink

Good stuff Jarink.

Mark

If you get the cash buy Photoshop. It is the foundations most of us skinners use. Some use Paint Shop Pro as well. Both programs are worth their weight in gold.

Ya, I know, Im about 16 yrs old so I would have to empty my bank account to get it :) , But when school starts up Im going to see if I can get it from the computer lab tech. He has a few copies of it if i remember correctly.

Mark

P.S. What would I need to make a skin, I know I need the .BMPs modded, but what .ini work do i need to do?

At it's simplest, the only .ini you' d need to change would be the TextureSet.ini to reflect the name, nation, etc. for your skin. About the only other .ini editing needed for skinning is for decals. They are typically used for applying national insignia, squadron markings and individual aircraft numbers/markings as well. (It's not really as hard as it looks!)

Modifying .ini's is done in notepad.