Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

Now hosting WOE/WOV merged install at Hyperlobby

Hyperlobby does not support Wings Over Europe, but it does support Wings Over Vietnam. So, I copied the WOE.exe and renamed it WOV.exe. I then configured Hyperlobby to find the WOV.exe in the Wings Over Europe folder. While I have not yet had anybody join externally, tests from within my own LAN went well. I have a dogfight host up now with the year set to 1978.

To ensure being able to join, you need to:

Install WOV.

Install WOV Service Pack v05.15.06

Install WOV Patch v08.30.06

Install WOE (check the option to merge WOV).

Install WOE Patch v05.25.06

Install WOE Patch v08.30.06

Copy the WOE.exe in the Wings Over Europe folder

Paste a copy into the same folder

Rename the copy WOV.exe

If you already have Hyperlobby and it is already set to open Wings Over Vietnam, then you will have to:

"Disconnect" from Hyperlobby

Select "Wings Over Vietnam" from the Hyperlobby Connect/Select list of games

Press <CTRL><SHIFT> while clicking on "Connect"

This opens a dialog box for setting the path to the WOV.exe, you must either manually type in the patch, or do a search and select the copy of WOV.exe in the Wings Over Europe folder.

I cannot promise compatibility if you have any mods installed, especially the weapons pack. Follow the above procedure and it should work.

I have had multiple individuals successfully join this latest incarnation of my server at this point. As long as other people have a correct clean/patched install and no firewall/router problems, they can join. Now, let's see if anyone actually plays. To date, Wings Over Vietnam has gotten a better response than SFP1 or WOE. I actually see people playing daily when I host WOV.

In addition to Hyperlobby, I am now supporting Hamachi. This is free software that allows you to create a secure virtual private network (VPN) that allow computers to be connected through the internet as if they were on the same network. This eliminates many of the router/firewall problems that occur when attempting to use the built-in internet interface and/or Hyperlobby.

First you need to download and install Hamachi:

http://www.hamachi.cc/

During installation, there is a very good tutorial that will help you get it installed and running correctly. After that, you need to join my network. A very simple process:

Step 1 Open Hamachi and click on the bottom left power button. After doing so, you should see something like this:

hamachistep01cq2.jpg

Step 2 Click on the Create or Join Networks button:

hamachistep02cb0.jpg

Step 3 Select Join Existing Network:

hamachistep03ck0.jpg

Step 4 Type in my network name and password (streakserver1 and streakserver1):

hamachistep04hs7.jpg

Step 5 Observe the people on the network and their names/addresses (you have successfully joined the virutal LAN):

hamachistep05eg4.jpg

Once you are on a Hamachi network, you can use the ingame LAN interface to detect and join games (no need to worry about IP addresses!). I am not sure how firewalls/routers/internet service providers affect this, but so far, I have had no problems having people join my network and Doghouse has joined by both the conventional Hyperlobby method and the Hamachi method to the same server.

Hamachi does have a limit. The free version only allows 16 people to join any single network. So I have to kick offline people out to let new people join. Right now I only have a few people who have joined, so that won't be a problem on my network until more people try it. The good news is that anyone can create their own Hamachi network and have up to 15 other people join it. So we need to form a chat group on MSN, Yahoo, AOL IM or whatever where unlimited numbers of people can meet, then create Hamachi networks as required to handle the number of people trying to play. To date, I have never seen more than 8 people online at one time which Hamachi already handles for free :)

Once you are on a Hamachi network, you can use the ingame LAN interface to detect and join games (no need to worry about IP addresses!). I am not sure how firewalls/routers/internet service providers affect this, but so far, I have had no problems having people join my network and Doghouse has joined by both the conventional Hyperlobby method and the Hamachi method to the same server.

Hamachi does have a limit. The free version only allows 16 people to join any single network. So I have to kick offline people out to let new people join. Right now I only have a few people who have joined, so that won't be a problem on my network until more people try it. The good news is that anyone can create their own Hamachi network and have up to 15 other people join it. So we need to form a chat group on MSN, Yahoo, AOL IM or whatever where unlimited numbers of people can meet, then create Hamachi networks as required to handle the number of people trying to play. To date, I have never seen more than 8 people online at one time which Hamachi already handles for free :)

Hello streakeagle

I tried to join your network (streakserver1), but I guess it already exceeds the 16 members. Anyway I am looking for a way to fly WoV and WoE online. So far no luck on Hyperlobby; not many pilots seem to fly WoV online here. However I found 'doghouse' there in the chat and he pointed me in the Hamachi direction, saying that more WoV flying is going on through Hamachi. I am not very familiar with networks, but I think I got the picture. Tried to find a session in WoV multiplayer, clicking LAN instead of IP/Internet. No session was available at the time but I keep on trying. Maybe I found nothing because I could not join your network?. Anyway, I have created my own network for now, see what comes out of it and also because what you put in your forum entry above. Thanks, perhaps you can let me know how to (properly) join a session?

Thanks

LeadZ

In addition to Hyperlobby, I am now supporting Hamachi. This is free software that allows you to create a secure virtual private network (VPN) that allow computers to be connected through the internet as if they were on the same network. This eliminates many of the router/firewall problems that occur when attempting to use the built-in internet interface and/or Hyperlobby.

First you need to download and install Hamachi:

http://www.hamachi.cc/

During installation, there is a very good tutorial that will help you get it installed and running correctly. After that, you need to join my network. A very simple process:

Step 1 Open Hamachi and click on the bottom left power button. After doing so, you should see something like this:

hamachistep01cq2.jpg

Step 2 Click on the Create or Join Networks button:

hamachistep02cb0.jpg

Step 3 Select Join Existing Network:

hamachistep03ck0.jpg

Step 4 Type in my network name and password (streakserver1 and streakserver1):

hamachistep04hs7.jpg

Step 5 Observe the people on the network and their names/addresses (you have successfully joined the virutal LAN):

hamachistep05eg4.jpg

get Premium hamachi and we can have 256 people :) its only under ten bucks a month :)

Ditto - I tried to join streakeagle1 today but it was full - do we need a streakeagle2 ??

Anyother hamashi networks guys??