Sign in to follow this  
Guest IndioBlack

iF-22 and Win XP

Guest IndioBlack

Has anyone managed to get Interactive Magic's iF-22 to work on Win XP ?

When I had Win 95, my computer just wasn't fast enough to really get the best out of it. Now that I have a stunning state-of-the-art -Ninja- Mega-Computer, I cant run it, because it seems to balk at Win XP.

Is there a fix for this ?

I really loved this Sim

Aye, I loved it too. *sigh* There are so many old games I love(d), but with advances in technology, they've gone extinct.

Guest IndioBlack

Okay, I got iF-22 to work on Win XP - by accident and pure luck. You have to have the right computer, and I just got one.

I bought my daughter a new Laptop for Christmas, and so I took her old one away to fool around with.

It's got first-edition Win XP, and an Intel Graphics chip. So I installed iF-22, and darn me if it didn't work straight away!

I believe it's the simple Intel chip that did the trick, because I'd already tried to install iF-22 on another laptop that had first-edition Win XP, but with Geforce graphics card, and that didn't work at all.

Now I've just got to figure out how I install a laptop in my cockpit.

If anyone else has success with this, please let me know.

One of the things you can do to try and help an older program to work on WinXP is after installing it bring up the shortcut and right click on it and then select the "Properties" line. That will then bring up the properties dialog box, there is a tab there called compatability and you can then select to have the program run under either Win95, Win98, WinNT 4.0, Win2k. That has worked for me in the past with games such as iF-16, and even the good ol Fleet Defender Gold.

I helped to create iF-22. It was a very ambitious attempt for the time and level of technology.

-Skater

One of the things you can do to try and help an older program to work on WinXP is after installing it bring up the shortcut and right click on it and then select the "Properties" line. That will then bring up the properties dialog box, there is a tab there called compatability and you can then select to have the program run under either Win95, Win98, WinNT 4.0, Win2k. That has worked for me in the past with games such as iF-16, and even the good ol Fleet Defender Gold.

Yeah, I've seen that on every thread or website with advice on getting iF-22 to work. Possibly the most useless piece of advice I've ever gotten. I suppose it depends on the computer you have...

Guest IndioBlack

Right "Compatibility mode" is the most incompatible thing M$ ever came up with. Presumably designed to con us into thinking that all our old games would still work on the new system. One of the main reasons I won't be buying Vista.

Skater ? Not Ed "Skater" Lynch ? You were a playtester on iF-22.

Got flamed by you loads of times on the i-magic board.

What we really need is some of those guys who worked on the programme to update it for us. Well, not for me, because I've got it working. But for everybody else who would like to fly it again. That would be wonderful. It was a really great Sim.

That would be me. :)

Yeah, I playtested iF-22, and gave them the raw data they needed to code the cockpit. I traveled to the Marietta, GA plant (I worked on the F-22 project for Lockheed Martin at the time) and did some videos of the cockpit mockup in action. Flew the cockpit mockup, and got the sounds and stuff down for them. Also, got *almost* every avionics screen and the shootlist sequencing and link data down. I say *almost* because, some of the avionics screens were classified, and I was not allowed to film or take pictures, or talk about them. That visit was really instrumental in getting the cockpit down. The alpha and early beta cockpits were horrible un comparison.

If they had more time to create better ground objects and a better ground terrain tile system, iF-22 would have been a knockout. It was released too early though, and sales suffered because of it. But a very detailed, and good attempt, to recreate the awesomeness that is the F-22 Raptor. Who could have even guessed that the iF-22 would have paled in comparison to the capabilities of the real F-22.

I don't remember you from the iMagic boards... did you have a different name there?

-Skater

iF-22 and Jane's F-15 were the last 2 jet sims I gave serious time to (with EAW being the last WWII sim and LB2 the last helo sim). Everything since has gotten a lot less play time.

iF-22 at least was playable as it was. iF/A-18E was not.