Sign in to follow this  
FooFighters

World graphic settings

I have a small problem with mountains from far away. When the first appear in the game the are just a relief in the distance, no textures or something. See above the F14 in the middle.

Can I edit flightengine.ini or another file to make this a bit nicer ?

The game is SF1, and I have the problem with all terains that have hills and mountains (Desert, Vietnam, Germany etc.. ).

Thanks

FooFighters

I use setting Far distance in the game.

And I use the original flightdata.ini

post-19675-1163618319_thumb.jpg

Edited by FooFighters

I've done tons of enviro tweaks and mods, but I've never found a solution to the cardboard-cutout-mountain problem. I think that's one of the reasons that I use such muted horizon textures now; it makes the mountain problem less noticeable.

I've done tons of enviro tweaks and mods, but I've never found a solution to the cardboard-cutout-mountain problem. I think that's one of the reasons that I use such muted horizon textures now; it makes the mountain problem less noticeable.

Oke.. it's not just only my game problem or my pc.

What did you change on the horizon textures ?

Edited by FooFighters

The only way to eliminate that effect is to edit the following value in the flightengine.ini file:

[HighDetailOption]

HorizonDistance=X

Changing HorizonDistance to 238000.0 will give you a clear 238 KM horizon, about right for SF's average cruising altitude, that is, assuming one were flying in a vacuum :smile: .

Oh, and you'd have to play with the sky panel and horizon color entries in the environmentsystem.ini to correct the "deep blue sky to the horizon" effect that would result from such a high horizon distance.

I didn't do anything really special. I took the stock horizon textures and changed everything to black and white, increased the transparency, and also increased the intensity of the cloud highlights. I did this with the 1x, 2x, and 3x tile sets; I left the other tile sets alone. Thank you, Paint.NET.

This isn't a perfect solution; I mean, the cutout mountains will still be there, obviously, after the modding is done. Mine just seem like less of an eyesore to me now. And, frankly, I wouldn't want them to disappear *entirely*; I regard them as a necessary part of the landscape, even though they don't look that great.

Addendum: I think I should add that most of the horizon textures you see in my screenshots are Polak's textures, or modified versions of Polak's textures. I started using modded versions of the stock horizon textures only very, very recently.

Edited by Tristan

Is it Mars, or is it SF's desert terrain with no fog and a 238 km horizon distance? :biggrin:

marsorsfaf7.jpg

Youch -- I didn't think it would look *that* bad. Damn.