Sign in to follow this  
MadJeff

Ask The Developers: Fair Strike's Vlad Suglobov

In the first of what I hope to be an ongoing feature here at Biohaz, I am soliciting user-submitted questions that I will be presenting to Vlad Suglobov for discussion. For those of you that don't know, Vlad is one of the developers at G5 Software working on Fair Strike.

Users can post their questions (one question per post, please) on this forum, of which I will select the best 5-10 questions, and then forward them to Vlad. Once he sends me back the answers I will post them here for everyone's purusal! So ask away!

Before you post questions, I ask that everyone do there homework first to make sure you are not asking questions that have already been answered in other interviews. I suggest you read the following to get some background on Fair Strike:

Fair Strike Vital Info

Action Vault Fair Strike Interview

HomeLAN Fair Strike Interview

IGN Fair Strike First Look

AdrenalineVault Interview

What kind of views will Fair Strike Have? I.E. Chase, action, ect..

Thanks

Cylix

In simulation mode, will the opposition be scaled down to what can reasonably be handled by a non-arcade style helicopter?

I need to know this for my future upgrade path; what are specs of the system Fair Strike is being tested on by the developers? The graphics look terrific, but I can see where there would be a lot of stutters, or low frame rates on my 1gig amd T-bird. Please don't tell me what the minimum system spec is. Tell me what the optimum system spec should be to get those great shots of helos flying low over the water.

thanks!

darryl

how realistic is the flight models? (I.E. comanche 4 arcade or 'takes 3 months just to learn to take-off realistic')

p.s. i hope for the latter!! :wink:

I posted this on another thread but later saw this one so here it goes.

My experience with Helo sims comes mostly from LongBow2 and a little EECH. Will the realism of this Helo sim compare to either of those two?

What types of missions can be flown and what types of Helo platforms can be used? IE- troop transport/SAR with a Blackhawk or maybe scouting with a Kiowa, or will this just be attack only with Commanches?

What type of campign is being planned? Dynamic, force on force dynamic, scripted? and if so will the campaign be flyable online in coop.

EECH has a awsome campaign but because of the instability online it is difficult to get running.

Obviously realism will be scalable as most sims are now days, will Fair strike be for the rookies as well as scale up to the hardcore crowd?

What kind of environment is planned? Will we have weather, wind, realistic terrain with trees, buildings, roads with traffic, etc etc?

IMO- I would be very happy with a sim with the realism and immersion of LongBow2 but with updated graphics, Will FairStrike compare to this at all?

Thanks

:?: Scalable Simulation----Arcade

Vlad Suglobov - We are closely working with the consultants from the Russian helicopter industry to deliver the most realistic flight model since EECH. In "hardcore" mode such effects as autorotation and retreating blade stall will be modeled, and as for damage model even oil leakage will be modeled and will affect the game play.

:?: Flight Model

Vlad Suglobov - "...we decided that we'll try to make the flight model and the damage model for the helicopters adjustable from Comanche 4-like controls to a hardcore simulation level."

:?: Mission Editor

Vlad Suglobov - We have mission editor built-in to the game  

:?: 6 Flyables

Vlad Suglobov - There will be 6 flyable helicopters in Fair Strike:  Ka-50 Hokum A, Ka-50 Hokum B, classified concept Ka-58 "Black Ghost", Ah-64A Apache, RAH-2 Tiger, RAH-66 Comanche. There are also two types of transport helicopters that will accompany you during the missions: UH-60 Black Hawk and Ka-60.

Vlad,

You mentioned in the several interviews from above that I would be able to land on a carrier or ground. My question would be:

To what extreme will collisions, or CFIT (controlled flight into terrain) be modeled? Will I be able to land on the roof-top of a building, or bounce off a Hummvee as long as my Vertical Speed is sufficientl low? WIll I be able to set my Apache down on the deck of a Sub and ride along the water with it? Will my rotors get caught in powerwires that I noticed in a screenshot of the game?

Cheers!

Fates

How flexable will it be for modding (making AI's flyable, new choppers, weapons, decals, etc)?

savagkc

As a yardstick for myself and other possible buyers.

Your recommended sys is a P4, 1.4 GHtz.

OK, so a sample system of P4, 1.4 GHtz running WinME with 512 meg memory, NVidia TI4200 (128 meg mem), SB 5.1 Gamer for sound and a 19" monitor - could resonably expect what Frames per second?

savagkc

The stated recommended processor seems a bit low to me for the eye candy I've seen in the screen shots. Having said that, I hope it's true. I know I get very good results (surprisingly) from Forgotten Battles on my low end system (T-Bird 1ghz, 768mb _pc133 ram, ATI 7200 Radeon, WinME). I guess it's all in the coding? So when flying low over the water, (or over dense scenery areas) with heavy action, the recommended system will deliver smooth frame rates? Congratulations!!

My next question is this: Why not model the Apache-D Longbow instead of the A version? The other helos seem to be a bit more modern. Since the gunner is AI controlled, not all the systems would have to be so detailed, would they? With the D version, the pilot could might be able to switch targets much quicker.

Let me know what's up with the system requirements at least. I want to be ready for a great experience when Fair Strike comes out.

regards,

Darryl

Now that my move is over and things are getting back to normal, I want to get this article done. So get those questions in! :D

I'll probably wrap up the questions and add my own, then talk with Vlad this weekend.

As a ex-combat helo pilot I am interested in the follow:

1) Will you be able to start up the aircraft, using a checklist?

2) Will you be able to control engine RPM, seperate from torque?

3) How realistic will the auto rotation profile be? For example will you need to maintain a certain RPM so your rotor head won't over speed?

4) In a TERF or NOE mode, the biggest emergency besides wires is mast bumping and droop stop pounding, is that modeled.

5) Will there be "brown out" or "snow out", from rotor wash?

6) When flying formation will your aircraft be impacted by rotor wash?

Thanks in advance

Tatsu

Semper Fi

Tatsu,

OK, you got me wondering.

Think i understand the "mast bumping" but "droop stop pounding" has me asking what it is?

To stay in subject, will there be a weapons (missle) view (to target)?

savagkc

Vlad, from what I can see this game looks very good. I just curious what type of weather effects can we expect, and will they affect the flight dynamics/weapons employment etc. Also will music be some what rock/electronica or will it be more militaristic. Thanks for your time!

Can you please elaborate more on the multiplayer aspect with specific to co-op multiplayer. Will it be "join after started by host"? Able to save campaigns/missions in MP? Thanks,,

Savagkc.. to answer your question:

Mast bumping.. Think of the blades of helo resting on the tip of a shaft. If you push your cyclic over too far the heal or hub of the blade can cut into the shaft resulting in your rotor departing your aircraft.

Droop stops: are what the rotor system "rest" on when not turning. The blades are drooped and the thing that prevents them from hanging all the way down are the "droop stops".

Why are these things important. In low level flight. NOE - Nap of the Earth.. generally 40 feet and below.

and

TERF- Terrain Following- 40-75 feet. The most comming mistake a new pilot makes (and some vets) is rapidly dumping the collective and increasing the collective. Especially in deep terrain. This produce droop stop pounding as the rotor system is banging on the droop stops as the blades cone up and down. This "could" result in failure of the rotor system.

When flying NOE and TERF and rapid pitching the aircraft up and over, can result in Mast Bumping.. which if down enough times "will" sheer the shaft.

This things are normally not modeled in a SIM, but would be very interesting if they did, as it may change the tactics of some sim pilots who as we would say in the combat world, like to "grip the black off the stick."

Hopefully this answered your questions. If you have any more, feel free to ask.

Semper Fi

Tatsu