Sign in to follow this  
biosurge

CTD....CTD???CTD!!!!!! ANOTHER CTD!!!!!????!!!!!

OK, ANYONE OUT THERE IN SIM LAND HAVE A FIX FOR THE CTD IN STRIKE FIGHTER OR AM I THE ONLY ONE HAVING THE PROBLEM>>>>>>>>I SOME DAYS I CAN ONLY FLY FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES, OTHER TIMES, I CAN GET THROUGH A MISSION ONLY TO HAVE IT CRASH WHEN I AM HEADING BACK HOME...I ACTUALLY HAVE 2 ISSUES. THE CRASH TO DESKTOP, AND A LOCK UP WITH THE SOUND STUTTERING...CAN BE VERY ANNOYING. I HAVE TO RESTART FOR THE LATTER. OTHERWISE THE SIM IS GREAT TO PLAY....RUNNING AN AMD 2100, 512 DDR RAM, 100 GIG WESTERN DIGITAL, SOYO BOARD, ON BOARD SOUND, LAN, WIN 2000 PRO. NO OTHER PROGRAMS EXCEPT FOR MICROSOFT FLIGHT 2002, AND THE USUAL WINDOWS STUFF. THANKS IN ADVANCE JOE BIOSURGE

OH, FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART.

LEADTEK G FORCE 4 4200, WITH THE LATEST DETONATOR DRIVERS....

ok do you have the patch installed?and go back to thte 39x drivers...they seem to work better.and what mods do you have?also has it done this all along or is it something that just happened..if it just started whats changed?add-ons?maybe you have a conflict.but get the older 39 seris drivers for your video card,they seem to be a bit more stable.

and please don't post in caps as it's concidered shouting and is in bad taste :D

Let us know how it goes.

8)

To add onto Dagger's post, I add this:

Have you checked your display/sound settings on the Options Tab? I run an Athlon XP1800 with W98SE and a Voodoo5 (Hey, I like the look) and that was my problem with a lot of CTD's. The patch fixed 99% of them, and all the right drivers and a good setup on these 2 items fixed the rest. Hope this helps.

sorry about the caps everyone....i tried everything thing i could think of as far as the game settings go. this has been happening ever since i loaded the game. i did the patch, and right now no mods installed. tried again just a minute ago and still cannot play the until the end...thansk for the help though...joe

Guest Sony Tuckson

is this happening in other 3d games?

good question..i have not had a chance to try. if it is happeining in other games what is your prognosis???

an if not???

thank you joe

ok...lets go through this one step at a time.1st make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound,even on board sound has drivers.like I said go back to the 39x dom. drivers for video,or the ones that came on the install disc...sometimes older drivers work best.try that..this is the easiest things first,might even try a complete uninstall,and I mean complete..after you uninstall,clear folder,and even check your system reg. then do a scan disc and defrag and then reinstall,add patch and then do the drivers.these are the simpliest steps.let me know if you try them and how it works...

dagger, thanks for the advise,,,,,i have been able to duplicate the problem with flight 2002...sooooo. looks like it is not the game...right now i am wondering if it sisthe video card...when it crashes, i get a blue screen with a rather long error message. basically telling me that it had to do a memory dump. i think it also said something about an irq conflict..i will have to go back and write it down in detail...all the years i have worked on other peoples computers i have never been stumped like this...thanks joe

Guest Sony Tuckson

you probably get this famous "IRQ less than equal" stuff

this often relates to hardware problems

might be an overheat case , which happens when using cpu to his full capacities (like in flightsims...), and is a regular problem with Athlon CPU's badly cooled (no thermic "paste" (sorry don't remember english word for french pâte), or cooler badly mounted or too weak for cpu....

might be a failure in ram, or in cg also but rather less frequent

:idea: to test ram, use "MEMTEST"

a small program that generates a bootable floppy disk that will test your RAM outside windows

Ususally if RAM is deffective, you'll know it quite soon, much ahead of the end of the full test which can be very long......

for cg, if possible try it in another pc....

you got it..already changed out the ram...my next will be to send in the video card..i am overclocking the amd by 300 mhz....will put it back to factory specs..i think that the first time this showed up i was not overclocking though...i am not overclocking the vid card..it seem to run fairly hot anyway..i have an antec case with 5 fans...sounds kinda like a tomcat taking off an aircraft carrier when it is running but adds to the effect.. :). thanks for all the help..i am much less frustrated now...hey maybe the wife will let me upgrade???? naw.....joe biosurge

sony, thermal paste....use all the stuff to keep things cool..i have a thermaltake volcano copper cooler...weighs about 50 kilo..just kidding..any way..i am going to test everything in the wife's system and see where the problem may be...thanks again..joe

oh, this might be of interest to some...i downloaded the drivers from the leadtek site. not nvidia...it seems to have stabalized the system somewhat. this leads me to believe it is the vid card. i am not sure what the drivers have in that is different from the nvidia site. in the past i always thought of the nvidia drivers as being pure if downloaded from nvidia site. and if i go to the manafacturers site they were stuffed with extras that the individual company wanted for the card. i may be wrong..thanks joe biosurge

Guest capun

Biosurge

FYI, usually all of the clocks are tied to a single source, so when you overclock the system, all of the clocks hanging from that Tree are alse overclocked. For one the PCI/AGP bus usually gets bumped up. So certain cards are finnicky. That has been the case with graphics cards and chipsets supporting AGP8X.

ok, found out the problem....i overclocked the cpu. i forgot that i had done this some time ago...i also overclocked the vid card...then set it back to normal...any way. i put the cpu back to default and bingo>>>>no ctd..i really don't know what goes through this pea sized brain sometimes...thanks for all the help everyone..joe