Guest Ranger332

cool ty for the Info have wondered as was going from a 35 yr memories :) and the question Is it a CAG bird (the comanders craft) / that comes to mind first.

cool ty for the Info have wondered as was going from a 35 yr memories :) and the question Is it a  CAG bird (the comanders craft) / that comes to mind first.

Actually, those stripes were painted on Navy aircraft deployed in the region during the Iranian hostage crisis in 1979/80. Because the Iranians had a lot of US supplied aircraft--particularly F-4s--it was decided that a distinguishing marking was necessary.

Here's another A-7 trivia question: Although equipped with Sidewinders and internal canon, the A-7 never scored an A2A kill with these weapons. The A-7 is "credited" with one kill, though--what type of aircraft was downed and what "weapon" was used?

Guest Ranger332

"Either way it makes no difference, theres no possible way you could tell if a 46 foot aircraft is 4 inches too short or not bye eye, "

not all the pic were A-8 just the last the others were all diff mods.

"Either way it makes no difference, theres no possible way you could tell if a 46 foot aircraft is 4 inches too short or not bye eye, "

not all the pic were A-8 just the last the others were all diff mods.

The first two are A-7Es, the third is an A-7D.

Guest Ranger332

rgr ty for ID ;)

Guest Ranger332

A-7E Corsair IIs were part of the two-carrier battle group that conducted a joint strike on selected Libyan terrorist-related targets in 1986. Together with carrier-based F/A-18s, A-7s used anti-radiation missiles to neutralize Libyan air defenses. The last two US Navy squadrons of the A-7 saw service in the Gulf War before being disbanded upon their return to the US. Today, only Greece and Air Capitol Warbirds use the A-7. The A-7 is available for contract work through ACWI (Air Combat Warfare International)

Pilots affectionately called it SLUF -- Short Little Ugly Feller -- or PUG -- Plenty Ugly Gunslinger.

http://www.public.fotki.com/isellford/uss_..._ranger_tonkin/

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/a-7.htm

Guest Ranger332

newshot17.jpg

NICE

All I wanna know is............ WHEN?!?!?!? :D :D

Looks VERY nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Is anyone planning to do an F-101 Voodoo?

Maybe an SR-71 or U-2?

"Here's another A-7 trivia question: Although equipped with Sidewinders and internal canon, the A-7 never scored an A2A kill with these weapons. The A-7 is "credited" with one kill, though--what type of aircraft was downed and what "weapon" was used?"

Did it hit something with an ejector rack by accident or something?

Or maybey a maneuver kill?

"Here's another A-7 trivia question: Although equipped with Sidewinders and internal canon, the A-7 never scored an A2A kill with these weapons. The A-7 is "credited" with one kill, though--what type of aircraft was downed and what "weapon" was used?"

Did it hit something with an ejector rack by accident or something?

Yep--it hit another A-7 with a MER.

It's almost time! I start my vacation in a few more hours and I'll have lots of time to work on my EA-6B. Just looking at this A-7 is motivating me a lot to do a great job with mine so you can all paint it up as nice as this one.

Great work all who made this A-7 so nice. :D

Hey Column5

I finally received at least one picture from the PAO of VFA-83. "She" was quite slow in replying. Of course, I am sure that pictures of old squadron aircraft are not exactly on the top of her "Action List". Still, I was not impressed with the results.

Here, at least, is one picture of a "Rampager" Corsair.

I have contacted the Naval Aviation Museum Research Dept., on advice of VFA-83's PAO, and perhaps they will respond somewhat faster, and with better resolution JPEGs.

Navychief

Were they ID stripes during the attacks on Lybia in the 80's?

Close, but wrong crisis.

USS Nimitz.......some miles west of lybia and next to pakistan.....

To me it seems as if the body of the plane should be a bit more streched, looking at the picture of the white plane with red/white stars and stripes.

Thanks! That longer plane is an F-8 Crusader. The A-7 had the same basic shape, but they were completely different aircraft.

and one reason it WAS called sluff............. :roll:

Hey Column5

I finally received at least one picture from the PAO of VFA-83.  "She" was quite slow in replying.  Of course, I am sure that pictures of old squadron aircraft are not exactly on the top of her "Action List".  Still, I was not impressed with the results.

Here, at least, is one picture of a "Rampager" Corsair.  

I have contacted the Naval Aviation Museum Research Dept., on advice of VFA-83's PAO, and perhaps they will respond somewhat faster, and with better resolution JPEGs.

Navychief

Thanks! I'll see what I can do with that JPG. Looks like the fuselage stripe is blue and white instead of yellow and blue, and the Ram's head is completely different...

Guest Sony Tuckson

C5, pls do this, exactly what I saw about 20 years ago!!!!

Hey C5

As for the stripe, typically, the COs aircraft would sometimes have more color to it. His aircraft was 300, though, and the XOs was 301.

NC

After the Navy went to the ugly Tactical Gray paint scheme, only the COs plane had any extra color added. One of the bad things about the tactical gray, (and still is, for that matter) is that the paint does not readily shed dirt when washed. Nope. Quite the contrary. It is very porous, and the dirt gets embedded and the surface is very hard to clean.