Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

A Suggestion for Third Wire...

Well, I finally got the game and it seems so far to be pretty good. I like the graphics for the most part though I flew the plane into the ground to see what would happen and the resulting explosion didnt do anything for me, it was pretty weak. The game has loaded and played pretty well so far with the only slow framerates were while I was in the multiplayer screen (!)... go figure. I also can see that I need a very careful hand becuase the FM's are touchy, needing constant attention.

But the thing that bothers me most right now is the instant action. I dont expect it to be entirely like IL2 mind you but that setup is outstanding, where you choose the aircraft you and your enemy fly, how many, etc. I suppose I will be able to do that when the editor comes out. But being able to do it quickly without spending what may be a LOT of time building a mission is definately worth something, at least to me. Maybe this can be added later eh? With maps of vietnam, the Middle East, even Russia, etc. perhaps. This adds a tremendous amount of replayability.

Hi pcpilot, thanks for the suggestion!

When we made decision on Instant Action, we wanted it to be one mouse click away from the main screen. If we had a setup screen in between, that would be two mouse clicks at least ;) Its a trade-off between flexibility and simplicity, and unfortunately, everyone has his own preferences as to where it should be :) Since this was more casual sim, we tended to lean more toward simplicity, our thoughts being that we can always add flexibilty via external editors. We hope that our single mission generator fills your need to setup mission quickly without building full mission (of course, you still can't select opponents, but...)

TK

--

TK, I like the one-click to fly idea like you have, but it would be really nice if you could configure which airframe you use in Instant Action in the options, or maybe as an entry in the options.ini file. How hard would that be to implement? I wouldn't mind editing as I would probably change it infrequently, but the option would be nice.

What do you think?

There is a section for this in options.ini:

[instantAction]

AircraftType=F-4E

MissionMap=DESERT

StartTime=16:30:00

StartDate=09/18/1968

StartTimeDevitaion=120

TextureSet=0

NationalMarking=0

SquadronMarking=0

AircraftNumber=0

KillMarking=0

However, no matter what you change the AircraftType to, you always get the F-4E. The other options work fine (ie, you can use these options to change the time, the skin, and the various markings).

Damn, you're right. I don't know how I missed that one, I've been over that file a bunch of times... :shock:

TK, That mission Builder is the Key to really unlocking the potential to SFP1. As soon as you can it would be nice to know your ideas on how involved the Mission Builder will be and how much control we will have while building missions.