Sign in to follow this  
TexMurphy

Albatros DVa to Albatros DI, DII, DIIIa mod... and DVa fix..

Im making a Albatros pack similar to the ones already posted but for Patch 1.

Ive also discovered something the DVa is way to slow in the TW version. It runs at about 175ish at sea level when it should run at 185ish.

My package will include the following.

DI 150hp version, correct weight, adjustments to fuselage to simulate the flat sides and adjustments to upper wing to simulate shorter wings then the DVa and adjusted drag and prop efficiency to get 170 km/h speed. (170 km/h is a guess as I do lack topspeed stats for 150hp version, but I do want to use that version to give more veriaty in the variants).

DII 160hp version, correct weight, adjustments to fuselage to simulate the flat sides and adjustments to upper wing to simulate shorter wings then the DVa and adjusted drag and prop efficiency to get 175 km/h speed.

DIIIa 170hp version, correct weight, adjustments to fuselage to simulate the flat sides and adjusted drag and prop efficiency to get 175 km/h speed.

DVa 180hp version, correct weight, adjusted drag and prop efficiency to get 185 km/h speed.

If any skinner wants to create a skin to go with the DIIIa, DII and DI as default it would be cool and appriciated.

Tex

Im making a Albatros pack similar to the ones already posted but for Patch 1.

Ive also discovered something the DVa is way to slow in the TW version. It runs at about 175ish at sea level when it should run at 185ish.

My package will include the following.

DI 150hp version, correct weight, adjustments to fuselage to simulate the flat sides and adjustments to upper wing to simulate shorter wings then the DVa and adjusted drag and prop efficiency to get 170 km/h speed. (170 km/h is a guess as I do lack topspeed stats for 150hp version, but I do want to use that version to give more veriaty in the variants).

DII 160hp version, correct weight, adjustments to fuselage to simulate the flat sides and adjustments to upper wing to simulate shorter wings then the DVa and adjusted drag and prop efficiency to get 175 km/h speed.

DIIIa 170hp version, correct weight, adjustments to fuselage to simulate the flat sides and adjusted drag and prop efficiency to get 175 km/h speed.

DVa 180hp version, correct weight, adjusted drag and prop efficiency to get 185 km/h speed.

If any skinner wants to create a skin to go with the DIIIa, DII and DI as default it would be cool and appriciated.

Tex

First, huzzah!!! :clapping:

As far as skins, I'd love to skin a few! I've been doing DVs lately, but a few DIII requests have crept in lately. Are you using the current DVa model and tweaking its performance to replicate that of the D.I/II/III, or are you going to have new models for them? If the former, I can start on skins right away.

Re: lack of stats for the 150hp D.I.... I can't find info on that, either. I can't even find mention of a 150hp version. The info I have states that even the first 12 planes ordered had 160hp Mercedes D.III engines. Perhaps those at the Aerodrome Fora can help.

Yepp its wikipedia Ive based my numbers on.

I dont know how correct they are.

Also if it is so that the 150hp version was extreamly rare Im not gonna add it but then Im gonna have trouble differenciating between DI and DII as the only diff will be mass.

Im gonna move center of gravity around a bit on them demepnding on what the mass is. So they will still be different.

Its up to you guys you know this better then I do.

Tex

Heres my suggestion, make the D1 the 150 HP version, D2 the 160 HP, D3 the 170. That way you don`t have to go so deep into details. And you could forexample make the D1 a little notch more maneuvorable then the D2 but hence a little slower and a little slower climbing rate. Saves you alot of digging, and if more information as regarding of the main differences between theese 3 types, you can change it in the .INI .

Just a mere suggestion. It`s your call :)

Salute!

RVH

The D.I and D.II were arrived at the front lines simultaneously. Both had 160 hp engines, and their performance was identical. The DII was developed to improve the D.I's visibility by changing the cabane struts and reducing the wing gap. Additionally, the radiators were moved from the fuselage and a single radiator mounted in the wing (as with Boelcke's D.II 386/16).

Thus, my two-cents is the D.I and D.II performance should be the same. If you are just tweaking the DVa's FMs, then the visual difference lies in the skins. If you are creating new models then the two are identical, save for the different cabane struts, wing gap, and radiator.

STATS:

Albatros D.I

Engine: 160hp Mercedes D.III

Wing:

Span Upper 8,50 m

Span Lower 8,00m

Chord Upper 1,60m

Chord Lower 1,60m

Dihedral Upper None

Dihedral Lower None

Sweepback None

Wing Strut Length 1,47m

Stagger 0,13m

Area 22,9m

General:

Length 7,40m

Height 2,95m

Track 1,80m

Empty Weight 673kg

Loaded Weight 898kg

Max Speed: 175kmh

Climb:

1000m 4min

2000m 10min

3000m 19min

4000m 30min

Albatros D.II

Wing:

Span Upper 8,50 m

Span Lower 8,00m

Chord Upper 1,60m

Chord Lower 1,60m

Dihedral Upper None

Dihedral Lower None

Sweepback None

Wing Strut Length 1,23m

Stagger 0,13m

Area 22,9m

General:

Length 7,40m

Height 2,64m

Track 1,80m

Empty Weight 673kg

Loaded Weight 888kg

Max Speed: 175kmh

Climb:

1000m 4min

2000m 10min

3000m 19min

4000m 30min

Differences noted in red

Source for the above is from German aviation expert PM Grosz' book "Albatros D.I/D.II (Windsock Datafile #100), 2003.

Edited by JFM

As an answer to JFM.

Nope Im not doing any model work just ini work. Id love to model it but Im not a artistical person I can do some skinning but thats pretty much it.

So if you feel like making any skins that you wana package with the Albatros package then it would be awsome. I will post the package here so you can feel it out. Dont wana add your stuff to something that you havent tried out. Ill post when I get back home tonight.

Tex

JFM,

Great stats!!!

Do you think you have stats like that for the DIIIa and DVa as well?

Tex

As an answer to JFM.

Nope Im not doing any model work just ini work. Id love to model it but Im not a artistical person I can do some skinning but thats pretty much it.

So if you feel like making any skins that you wana package with the Albatros package then it would be awsome. I will post the package here so you can feel it out. Dont wana add your stuff to something that you havent tried out. Ill post when I get back home tonight.

Tex

Okay, I'll check out whatever you decide on, but I'll start on some skins anyway. It's a fun hobby and worse-case scenario, I'll fly around my DVa with some cool early model skins! PM an email address and I'll send a finished skin to check out. I'll do Boelcke's 386/16 first.

FYI, there is a new DII in the works: http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bb...;f=165;t=000348

Yeah JFM, good research and reliable source :D

I submit to the info thus revealed and have no further arguments.

Salute!

RVH

JFM,

Great stats!!!

Do you think you have stats like that for the DIIIa and DVa as well?

Tex

Sure, let me type them and I'll add them below.

Okay:

Albatros D.III

Wing:

Span Upper 9,00m

Span Lower 8,81m

Chord Upper 1,50m

Chord Lower 1,10m

Dihedral Upper None

Sweepback None

Gap 1,47m

Area 20,54sqm

General:

Length 7,33m

Empty Weight 673kg

Loaded Weight 908kg

Max Speed: (missing)

Climb:

1000m 2,5 min

2000m 6,0 min

3000m 11,0 min

4000m 17,0 min

5000m 24,5 min

As you can see, speed is missing. I have other stats of the Albs that have slightly different figures--it's maddening to find stats in agreement. PM an email address so I can send a scan of these rather than type up the 8 different Alb D variants.

Edited by JFM

The idea for this package is just to fill out the void until the real models come out.

Always nice to have veriaty in the skies.. ;)

Ill do the stats as you posted.

Whats your take the difference in height and strutt lenght what would it do to the handling of the plane?

Tex

The idea for this package is just to fill out the void until the real models come out.

Always nice to have veriaty in the skies.. ;)

Ill do the stats as you posted.

Whats your take the difference in height and strutt lenght what would it do to the handling of the plane?

Tex

Although I am a pilot I am not an engineer; thus, I can't answer that with any authority. I suspect the difference in gap may influence stall characteristics to some degree, but if and how much I do not know. I've not read of any handling differences between the two, only references to the D.II's improved visibility over the D.I.

Hopefully, some guys will pipe in here with some actual info on your question.

Thanks JFM.

I see the stats you posted where for the Albatros D.III, the version Im thinkin about is the Albatros D.IIIa with the 170hp engine.

But if I ballance it on the D.III climb numbers and then add 10hp then I should be close enough.

Tex

Thanks JFM.

I see the stats you posted where for the Albatros D.III, the version Im thinkin about is the Albatros D.IIIa with the 170hp engine.

But if I ballance it on the D.III climb numbers and then add 10hp then I should be close enough.

Tex

Okay, man, just checked and I don't have anything with those numbers; all the stats I have use 160hp. Honestly, I'm not familiar with the Albatros DIIIa. :dntknw:

Edited by JFM

Congratulations and thanks for doing this job.

You can find a lot of info on this great website

The Aerodrome

which is, I think, a lot better than any wiki...

Here are the performances for the various Albatros models

Albatros D I

Mercedes D.IIIa, liquid cooled, 6 cylinder inline, 160 hp

Max Speed: 109 mph [175 km/h]

Albatros D II

Mercedes D.IIIa, liquid cooled, 6 cylinder inline, 160 hp

Max Speed: 109 mph [175 km/h]

Albatros D III

Mercedes D.IIIa, liquid cooled, 6 cylinder inline, 175 hp or 185 hp

Max Speed: 109 mph [175 km/h] at 3,281 ft [1,000 m] / 102.5 mph 165 km according to other sources.

Albatros D V

Mercedes D IIIa, 180 hp (or 200 hp)

116 mph (186 km/h) at 3281 ft

165 kmh according to an other source (probably for the 180 hp motor)

Albatros D Va

Mercedes D IIIa 200 hp

187 km/h

I hope this can help you.

JFM

sorry man its me being a moron... the DIII got its Mercedes DIII upgraded to a DIIIa mercedes engine... too much DIII in the same context.. ;)

So it is still a Albatros DIII and not a DIIIa.

DT59

Interesting... proves what I said above... TW´s DVa is too slow for a DVa and is propably just a DV on a 180 hp engine.. I need to check that when I get home.

Tex

Okay, man, just checked and I don't have anything with those numbers; all the stats I have use 160hp. Honestly, I'm not familiar with the Albatros DIIIa. :dntknw:

I think we are mixing Engine designations with Aircraft designations. The Mercedes DIII ENGINE was rated @ 160hp. The Mercedes DIIIa ENGINE was rated @ 175-180hp. The Mercedes DIII engines was used on aircraft other than the Albatros DIII.

I noticed all the aircraft are a bit slower after the patch. Before they were spot on AFA top speeds.

so then its DI: 150, DII: 160, DIII: 160 ? or is it DI:160, DII:160 but revised bottom wings, DIII: 170 ?

u got me all mixed up here..

S!

RVH

Its gonna be DI and DII with 160hp and DIII with 175 hp rest as I described above.

Gonna see if I can do something with the DII view to move it up a little bit.

Tex

Its gonna be DI and DII with 160hp and DIII with 175 hp rest as I described above.

Gonna see if I can do something with the DII view to move it up a little bit.

Tex

Fantastic! Looking forward to them all. Have started the skins.

Thanks guys. Gonna be a good placeholders until the models come on line. And I don't mean anything derogatory by the term placeholders. :wink:

Please comment on these Albatrosses...

You need the cockpit mod, you need to copy it to the directories for all Albatroses and you need to copy at least one skin dir into these folders.

Also good idea to backup the stock DVa folder as I have included a moded DVa.

Tex

Albatros.rar

Tex Murphy---New to this business. Could you please clarify re the "Cockpit mod" and the "skin dir" I need to complete this installation.

Can I find these files somewhere ?

Many thanks for any help on this