Sign in to follow this  
JG14_Jagr

Heat Seekers Uncaged Mode?

Is there a way to fire heat seekers from Aircraft that do not have a targeting radar like the F100? Is there an "uncaged" modewhere the seeker head auto acquires? If not, what controls need to be used and is there an indication of acquisition f using Hard mode with no target boxes?

Is there a way to fire heat seekers from Aircraft that do not have a targeting radar like the F100? Is there an "uncaged" modewhere the seeker head auto acquires? If not, what controls need to be used and is there an indication of acquisition f using Hard mode with no target boxes?

Usually the heatseeker A2A missiles (like the Sidewinder) do not need any RADAR locking of the target: indeed, as the name HEATSEEKER suggests, the head is auto acquiring, in the sense that it feels a heat source with no need of a radar acquisition of the target. To understand if there is a lock of the target you have to listen to the sound: when you select a Sidewinder, there is a soft sound which becomes harder if the head of the missile has locked a target. It is NOT a radar locking.

I usually use hard settings in my WoV, and my dogfights are sight-based, in the sense that I use the map and the indications of Red Crown to understand where the enemies are, and soon after I try a visual contact. In this way there is no need of boxes on the target.

If you have a look to the Thirdwire forum, you can find some useful tricks for using a SIdewinder in a dogfight.

I stress again: the heat seeker does not need a radar locking. The red box on the enemy, when you want to catch it by a sidewinder, is purely fictional.

Hoping this is helpful,

Mur

To answer your question more directly:

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot toggle the IR seeker into uncaged mode in any of the SF/WOV/WOE sims.

In aircraft using the avionics60.dll (i.e. 1960s avionics used by most aircraft in the series) the seeker is always slaved directly ahead (caged).

In aircraft using the avionics70.dll (.e. 1970s avionics used by the stock WOE F-15A) the seeker seems to change behavior depending on whether or not you are locked on to a target.

Fly a stock F-15 in WOE and watch the behavior of the seeker cue when just cruising around without tracking any bandits on radar, then watch what it does when you are using TWS or STT to lock onto an enemy.

Aircraft like the F-4J represent an unusual situation with avionics that were halfway between the 1960s and 1970s technology. As originally delivered, the F-4J was mostly at the 60's level, but by 1972 in Vietnam, the F-4J had a lot of the features that the F-15A avionics had. Personally, I would make uprated versions of the F-4D/E/J that used the avionics70.dll, but it doesn't include ground radar modes so it is best just to stay with the original avionics. Another disadvantage to upgrading to the newer avionics is that the noisy analog radar returns go away, which clearly remained a feature of even the latest USAF/USN F-4 radar displays despite upgrades.

Knowing TK's sim-lite strategy in terms of keeping avionics operation simplified, I don't foresee a future patch ever improving this situation. Of course, TK does surprise us all with some of the things he decides to support, so who knows?

To answer your question more directly:

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot toggle the IR seeker into uncaged mode in any of the SF/WOV/WOE sims.

In aircraft using the avionics60.dll (i.e. 1960s avionics used by most aircraft in the series) the seeker is always slaved directly ahead (caged).

In aircraft using the avionics70.dll (.e. 1970s avionics used by the stock WOE F-15A) the seeker seems to change behavior depending on whether or not you are locked on to a target.

Fly a stock F-15 in WOE and watch the behavior of the seeker cue when just cruising around without tracking any bandits on radar, then watch what it does when you are using TWS or STT to lock onto an enemy.

Aircraft like the F-4J represent an unusual situation with avionics that were halfway between the 1960s and 1970s technology. As originally delivered, the F-4J was mostly at the 60's level, but by 1972 in Vietnam, the F-4J had a lot of the features that the F-15A avionics had. Personally, I would make uprated versions of the F-4D/E/J that used the avionics70.dll, but it doesn't include ground radar modes so it is best just to stay with the original avionics. Another disadvantage to upgrading to the newer avionics is that the noisy analog radar returns go away, which clearly remained a feature of even the latest USAF/USN F-4 radar displays despite upgrades.

Knowing TK's sim-lite strategy in terms of keeping avionics operation simplified, I don't foresee a future patch ever improving this situation. Of course, TK does surprise us all with some of the things he decides to support, so who knows?

Thanks.. the question derived because I flew a mission with the F100D and AIM9 Bravo's and could not for the life of me figure how to use them.. I got directly behind migs that were almost non maneuvering and didn't get any real change in the "growl" tone that indicated an acquisition.. and more importantly..when I fired they were all unguided and went ballistic.. I was just wondering if I missed something that was required.

Lastly, are WOE and WOV unique Sims, or can they be merged?

AIM-9Bs can be effective, but you need to be almost directly behind a hot target (preferably after burner engaged) to get a lock and the target must not be making a sharp turn.

Typically, AIM-9Bs are most effective against a target that is flying level in a straight line. However, sometimes they will surprise you and lock/track/hit a target that would otherwise appear difficult to hit.

Most notably, I have used the AIM-9B to hit aircraft diving for the deck in full afterburner, have hit at point blank inside firing range, and have even scored a few hits from head on. But these are very much exceptions to the rule. Normally, you are in a turn fight and the AIM-9B will never hit a target that is doing anything more than a very gentle turn.

Thanks.. the question derived because I flew a mission with the F100D and AIM9 Bravo's and could not for the life of me figure how to use them.. I got directly behind migs that were almost non maneuvering and didn't get any real change in the "growl" tone that indicated an acquisition.. and more importantly..when I fired they were all unguided and went ballistic.. I was just wondering if I missed something that was required.

Lastly, are WOE and WOV unique Sims, or can they be merged?

When you get behind an aircraft make sure the AIM-9 is selected and then pitch the nose up and down a bit if you cant get a lock tone.

There are some replacement lock tone files for download on this site if you need a clearer distinction.

WOE and WOV are separate games - as in each can be bought and played separately. However if you install WOV first then install WOE afterwards the WOE installer gives you the option to merge WOE into WOV (am pretty sure this is the case!)

This works because both games are based on the same underpinnings - which is why you will find that most of the Strike Fighters Mods on this site will work with both.

Hope this makes sense