Sign in to follow this  
Erik

Community Announcement

Site Performance  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Our recent equipment upgrade was due to the high demand of our site's resources by the community. How is the site performing for you today?

• LIGHTENING - Site smokes for me with huge download speeds!
    • FAST - The site and downloads are faster than most sites I visit.
    • AVERAGE - The site response and downloads are average.
    • POOR - The site performance is lacking and the download speeds are horrible.
    • SNAIL - The site crawls and I have many issues.

ANNOUNCEMENT

January 12, 2007

New Download Requirements

In an effort to help strengthen our community we are now requiring a minimum of 5 posts in our forums for members to gain download permission. We want everyone to be involved in our community and we can't think of a better way to get you involved. Members who contribute to our community are how we stay healthy, and we need your support to help us do what we do best, provide a great community and unlimited downloads.

If you receive the following message, "You do not have enough posts to download files yet." this means you haven't met the 5 post requirement.

Post, download and have fun, that's our goal.

ANNOUNCEMENT

January 12, 2007

In an effort to help strengthen our community we are now requiring a minimum of 5 posts in our forums for members to gain download permission. We want everyone to be involved in our community and we can't think of a better way to get you involved. Members who contribute to our community are how we stay healthy, and we need your support to help us do what we do best, provide a great community and unlimited downloads.

If you receive the following message, "You do not have enough posts to download files yet." this means you haven't met the 5 post requirement.

A bit annoying. So I have to post five non-sense messages to download files???? :crazy:

Who in his right mind came up with the idea that you had to have 5 posts in order to download anything on the website?

Hazen Cowan

hcowan75_@hotmail.com

Who in his right mind came up with the idea that you had to have 5 posts in order to download anything on the website?

Hazen Cowan

hcowan75_@hotmail.com

I'm thinking the same...

Hey wait a minute...

I just posted something. Yeehaa, 4 more to go and I have the privilege to download stuff...

C

An interesting idea to get people involved, but there will be a lot of dummy posts to wade through.

An interesting idea to get people involved, but there will be a lot of dummy posts to wade through.

A bit annoying, I agree, but I've been on other forums that won't even let you post until

you've posted in a "hello" section :)

Well we have 18,000 members, yet no ones hardly uses the forums. It seems in my eyes, at times that all we are good for is just downloads. So this is a great idea.

ANNOUNCEMENT

January 12, 2007

Iguess I disagree- your goal is to force people to post. It's your forum and you certainly have a right to your own rules, but then you shouldn't be the sole source of downloads for a product that I purchased. Your own poll suggests that this mild form of blackmail was not one of the better ideas.

If everyone would post 5 posts thanking all the modders for their mods that they offer up to you for free at CombatAce, I think they would appreciate it more then you realize.

'mild form of blackmail' is still a bit harsh, IMHO. If SIMHQ didnt have a long standing forum for this series (SFP1, WOV, etc) then I think this would be the premier forums for that. Downloads and info galore in one spot. For me, i already have too many forums to look at as it is :biggrin:

Its a very valuable site for sure. Well, i should be at 5 posts now. I dont usually post unless i have a question or giving info.... main reason i havent posted since i joined last year. Might be the same for most... :dntknw:

Like the other posters above, I recognise what you are trying to acheive, but fear the main outcome will be spurious posts to wade through.

Hi Andy ,well I to was hoping for a quick download ,I was interested in trying a few of the new modded planes.......na ja looks like I,ll have to wait .But I did manage to get an eindecker from some where else ,so I,ll give it a go in a mo .Otherwise an interesting flight sim ,something different ....the sim gives an authentic feeling and is also fun ,pity they could have made a lot more out of it .Well chaps have fun flying .....my first post .................damm and I wanted so much to fly the Gotha bomber . :grin: seeya all.

I think anyone who downloads someone else's hard work should at least themk the modder - is only right IMHO

TMS_Mike

Hi Andy , second post ,just thought you might be interested in this link ,you can downloaded an eindecker ,there are two versions , it a web site called first eagles add-ons ..here is a link[url http://www.ebort2.co.uk/FE.html, hope it works for you,I haven,t tried them yet ..so good luck .cheers .

I would like to thank all those who have added skins to the FE downloads section.

Well done lads!

Re my last post I wish to thank those modders who have provide new FE aircraft too.

Keep up the good work!

I think anyone who downloads someone else's hard work should at least themk the modder - is only right IMHO

TMS_Mike

Yes I agree Mike , I have every admiration for people who are able to do this , brings a lot more interest/fun into many games/ sims . Andy

but then you shouldn't be the sole source of downloads for a product that I purchased.

we aren't.

The mods are currently discussing this whole post count/download issue but it's likely that blatant spam posts to up post count will be deleted & not count.

I guess we'll have to go back to the original ideas.

1. Charging for downloads.

2. Filling the site with hundreds of nonsense ads.

3. Forcing you to view ads before downloading.

4. Limiting your download speeds.

5. Capping your bandwidth total per day.

Iguess I disagree- your goal is to force people to post. It's your forum and you certainly have a right to your own rules, but then you shouldn't be the sole source of downloads for a product that I purchased. Your own poll suggests that this mild form of blackmail was not one of the better ideas.

CombatAce isn't the sole source of downloads (the best, perhaps, in my opinion), but there are dozens of sites that host download sections.

I don't think it's asking too much to leave a scant few posts (it's only five) in order to have access to hundreds of awesome (and FREE) mods/terrains/aircraft/ships/effects/weapons/missions/campaigns/utilities/etc (you get the idea that there is alot available to us, for FREE) The are guys out there creating this stuff on their own time and allowing us to use it (for FREE), so I'm inclinded to believe that 5 meager posts is a very good bargain.

I was a member for a year before I made my first post, but it gets kind of addictive and now I check the site every day and usually have at least one comment/question/answer to make each day. Additionally, my new interaction has helped me understand so much more about the workings of the game. Try it, it's fun.

The primary problem with requiring a mimimum number of posts to download is that we'll get a lot of nonsense posts made by people who just want to download the stuff. I'm all for having to skip through a random ad instead of having to make five posts about nothing.

The primary problem with requiring a mimimum number of posts to download is that we'll get a lot of nonsense posts made by people who just want to download the stuff.

have a thought for the poor saps that will have to moderate it ... :crazy:

Seriously, if you realised the bandwidth that this site gets through (& it's still growing) which somehow has to be paid for (currently out of the site owners pockets) ... :swoon:

Actually, Buff, I was thinking of you poor guys who have to go through locking, deleting, or taking out these posts. And with more people buying SFP1, WOV, WOE, and First Eagles and looking for mods, more of these gimme-types are going to come here and do crap like that. They could quite possibly drown out any real discussion with make-up posts.