Sign in to follow this  
mok

books to read

Hi all!

I´m a relatively new WOE/WOV pilot and didn´t know much about Vietnam airwar before I got into WOV.

So I would like to ask if anyone of you could recommend books about Vietnam airwar so I can learn more

about it.

Thank you.

Hi all!

I´m a relatively new WOE/WOV pilot and didn´t know much about Vietnam airwar before I got into WOV.

So I would like to ask if anyone of you could recommend books about Vietnam airwar so I can learn more

about it.

Thank you.

Hi mok,

here are some books

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - Rene J. Francillon ISBN 0851774849(Carrier Operations off Vietnam)

Launch the Intruder - Carol Reardon ISBN 0700613897(A-6 Squadron VA-75 Sunday Punchers 1972/73)

Vietnam Air Losses - Chris Hobson ISBN 1857801156(USAF, Navy + Marine Corps Fixed-Wing Aircraft Losses 1961-1973)

Clashes, Air Combat North Vietnam 1965-1972 - Marshall L. Michel III ISBN (USAF, Tactics, Dog Fights, Lessons)

First In, Last Out - Edward T. Rock ISBN 1420816217(Wild Weasel Stories)

Not enough, please post and you will get much more

Hanseat

about it.

Here are my recommendations :

o Clashes by Marshall Mitchell on air to air combat over NV

o Rolling Thunder by Ed Rasimus, a bio covering one Tour

o Palace Cobra by Ed Rasimus on his second Tour

o Over The Beach, covering a USN squadron

o On Yankee Station, still on my wishlist

o Chickenhawk, written by a helo pilot

If you like bio style narratives get RollingThunder and Chickenhawk.

Hi TeTeT,

for "On Yankee Station" look at amazon. I think you can get it for 10-15 Euro

Hanseat

Sorry for my english

I'm actually searching for "Over the Beach". I'm really looking forward to read this one, especially for the VF-162 account.

for "On Yankee Station" look at amazon. I think you can get it for 10-15 Euro

Sorry for my english

Thanks, here at amazon.ca it seems to be sold out and at .com it sells for 14 USD. But first I need to finish a book on the Ramadan Wars. Don't worry about your English, I guess a fair number of combatace users are non-native speakers.

I looked through Chickenhawk, and it was VERY detailed. Right now, I'm reading Flying Through Midnight, a very good read.

Ken Bell, 100 Missions North - great F-105 Stories

Also try Craig Baker's F-105 website. It has a lot of stuff of general interest besides F-105 stuff. Some good movies showing action.

Thanks, here at amazon.ca it seems to be sold out and at .com it sells for 14 USD. But first I need to finish a book on the Ramadan Wars. Don't worry about your English, I guess a fair number of combatace users are non-native speakers.

Please post the name of your Ramadan Wars book and your comment

Thanks

Hanseat

Thank you very much for your answers. Now it´s time to do some shopping over the internet. By the way do you think that Amazon is a good place to start?

Please post the name of your Ramadan Wars book and your comment

It's The Yom Kippur War by Abraham Rabinovich. A very detailed account of the War and the road that led to it. If you take a look on the Wikipedia page on the Ramadan War you'll find it in the bibliography list.

The book deals with the war from the perspective of commanders involved and describes the battles fought from the Israeli side. By changing from HQ to Front to Division to Brigade and even lower level the book presents a lot of details without loosing sight of the overall situation. I find it to be a good read and recommend it, if you have any interest in that area and war.

Does anyone know a link to or can provide an OOB for the Egyptian and Israeli Air Forces at that time?

I would add Captain Hook by Wynn Foster. It is about the Skipper of VA-164 and his combat operations off both the USS Oriskany and the USS Forrestall until he lost his arm to a 37mm shell and was flown home before the 67 fire. Then his trials to get back into the cockpit.

Mig Master by Barrett Tillman- Talks about the history of the F-8 and there is a big chapter about combat ops over Vietnam with the F-8

Eleven Days of Christmas- by M. L Michel- Talks about the use of SAC bombers during the height of Linebacker II and what is now called the Christmas bombing.

THere are a slew of personal story books talking about pilots individual perceptions of the war, take a look at those.

Some of the authors that I like and I would recommend that present a very good historical overview of either an aircraft or of a squadron; that would be Barrett Tillman and Robert Dorr. THere is another author I would recommend, but his name escapes me right now.