Sign in to follow this  
Gr.Viper

Future patch(es) wishlist

I do hope the topic won't get buried under recent flooding... :sorry: And I hope it will prove useful :yes: Show it to TK sometime, will you? I don't even dream of sticky.

Also it would be nice if people didn't just dump their ideas here like "we need a bigger gun" but tried to develop them...

1. Damage system needs to be improved making it more difficult to tear planes apart with a short burst. There were a number of suggestions in that *link* topic and I still like mine :wink: Also, changing system for regarding pilot as killed after the plane is badly damaged might use some tweaking - I suggest counting one as dead only if fuselage is destroyed (the rest is land-able). Making pilot wounded instead of dead after the plane is set on fire, if the one managed to get to altitude less than 3 meters at airspeed of 3-5km/h would be excellent.

2. AI would benefit from further improvement. At the moment I see them shoot more but they miss a lot. Quite often I see a log with AI pilot firing 150 rounds, hitting with five and scoring a kill. Current damage model assists them but if it gets fixed, AI might be in trouble. :yes:

3. An mission generator or an external utility that would allow generation of quick dogfights. I do like 'Fly Now' in RB3D. The basic concept is this:

-1. The utility scans aircraft folder to generate a list of available planes. Then scans terrains for a list of them.

-2. The utility shows a dialog window which allows to choose player's plane, enemy's plane, terrain and encounter type(duel, 2x2 etc). Maybe even some extra options like speed and altitude. Naming Mission might also be useful.

-3. After the choice is made the utility generates a mission using pre-created templates(I suppose there should be one for each type of encounter and for each map). Basic template is supposed to contain all other(not planes') mission data

-4. The generated mission is then placed wherever it must go to be selectable from game menu.

-5. The player starts the mission and gets CTD enjoys it. :blush:

-6. Actually it would be pretty nice if the utility were able to generate missions even more freely changing number of flights and their type and so on, including flak activity. :good:

4. It might sound stupid but I'd like to see more challenge in landing. However, TK has mentioned once, that enabling tree and building collision would eat plenty of CPU resource, so I guess this will have to wait. :blink:

5. It's quite odd to see planes perform extreme maneuvers without falling apart. I know that the stock game is set in the late war period when airframes were not that fragile (maybe that was one of the reasons for TK to start with 1917-1918) but seeing some limits to stricture strength would be great. Creaking seat is good but the creepy effect wears off after some time. :cool:

6. Pilot wounding effect. Adding 'screen going red/black' effect for the player and animation of, like, pilot bending forward for AI's, combined with sluggish and unsteady controls would increase immersion. Oh, and I've read somewhere that first blackouts were reported in the late years of The Great War but I haven't seen any in game. Need them too. :biggrin:

7. Engines are way too reliable. There is an unused entry for overheat in ini-s. And there is no way yet to introduce fuel supply cut at negative g's which was common in some planes. Getting this things to work should make sim-er sweat and swear more... it's just immersion and realism thing. :grin:

Did you know that an engine is only used to keep the pilot cool?

If you don't believe it, watch the pilot sweat when one goes out!

8. FM calculator. That would be the thing modders would kill for. I know there are/were such things for some other sim, so I guess it is possible... in the long run.

That's it from me.. for now. I know, I want too much. NEXT!

I agree on most of them... some comments though...

@2 For AI pilots I would like to see a "gun turret cheat". The forward guns are not fixed but are in fact gunner turrets that can move a little little bit. Only AI can move this turret and it only moves on AI planes. This would compensate for inability to use rudder. Alternativly implement rudder for AI.

@4 Ummm instant action???

@5 Even WWII planes had issues of loosing their wings in dives... should definatly be added...

@8 3 Model/Skin viewer with built in FM calculator... there is your uber modder tool...

I agree on most of them... some comments though...

@2 For AI pilots I would like to see a "gun turret cheat". The forward guns are not fixed but are in fact gunner turrets that can move a little little bit. Only AI can move this turret and it only moves on AI planes. This would compensate for inability to use rudder. Alternativly implement rudder for AI.

@5 Even WWII planes had issues of loosing their wings in dives... should definatly be added...

@8 3 Model/Skin viewer with built in FM calculator... there is your uber modder tool...

@2 there is a line in some .ini file which tells AI to shoot as they shoot, you can easy change AI gunners to "snipers"

which can shoot you to the head. (or it looks like, I didnt tried it)

AFAIK, even to change player's plane in IA you have to edit two ini flies. Too complicated. Would be much better to generate a mission the way we have 'Spad 13 vs Fokker D7(1v1)' in mission selection. Look at .mis files - they are plain text, just like ini. Shouldn't be too hard co create text compiler? It would also assist FM and AI testing...

Monty

Im not talkin about gunners Im talkin about forward facing mounted guns on single seat fighters and two seaters.... the pilot needs a aiming aid similar to a turret or needs to start using rudder... before that is done AI will always struggle...

Tex