Sign in to follow this  
super61

Search Feature

Hi Fellas,

I have to admit this question is to get me to my 5th post, but I think my question is legit, since as a relative newb, I am still finding my way around the game. However, I have been hesitant at posting questions 'cuz, quite a few reply's seem to state "read the knowledge section." However, depending on my question or other's, the knowledge base solution may not necessarily give all the info need to address the question.

What I am asking is, have the folks who run the forums considered making the search options a little more user friendly? For instance, I searched for the GAU-8 effect for the A-10, and found it quite cumbersome to wade through quite a few responses. Could you shed some thoughts here?

On a side note, thanks to all who have put their backs into creating such a fun and stimulating game (WOV, WOE, FE).

Regards,

Super61

I had trouble with the search engine here when I first started using this site (I used to be a librarian, so I kinda expected a lot from a search engine :close_tema: ), but after I spent some time playing around with it, I sorta figured out how it works... sorta :tongue: But, you're right IMHO, it can be kinda awkward to use initially. I do have some suggestions that might help though you in the future though.

For example, the first thing anyone new to the search engine needs to know is that your search will look for ALL references to the criteria you entered, unless specified not to. So that will include any idle chitchat, topic titles, pretty much any reference that has those exact criteria. Like you said, that can be a lot to wade through at times, so if you're looking for something to download, just have a browse of the downoads section first to get an idea of how its structured. It's very straight forward with each section being appropriately titled, you'll pretty much find what you're looking for just by having a butcher's. If you don't find it, then it's maybe time to use the search engine.

The advanced search will point you in the right direction in terms of how to search (ie. more effective methods than just entering the name, or subject you're looking for). It seems to be more attuned to working as a reference serach engine (with specific tools for searching by post names, searching via times and dates etc) but you'll find this with most forums. It's mostly a matter of "asking the question in the right way" but since search engines aren't intuitive, sometimes you may have no choice but to put the question out there. We like to think that's exactly what you can do here, I mean, it's partly what a forum is about. But at the same time, it can be pretty obvious when someone hasn't looked first. One I can use as an example was a while ago, when a certain plane was released for the SFP series a there was a post asking where to find it. At the time, about 4, maybe 5 posts below the post looking for the plane was the actual post of the release of the aircraft.

Most importantly, don't be backward in coming forward! There are people who can get toey if the same question is aked over and over again, but when people are joining all the time, that's going to happen (ie. the lack of an F-22for sfp). The community is here to point you in the right directon. The knowledge base will answer pretty much most aspects of using/altering the game, but it's being added to and altered all the time. But the important thing is that we don't want you to feel like you can't ask questions!

When I get the time, I'll write up a pointers to using the search engine more effectively...

SayWhat,

Thanks for cluing me in on the right methods. One tends to get spoiled, especially since Google sets the standard for searching.

LOL! - I couldn't help but think the same thing about all the requests for the F-22. Again, much obliged for the assist here

Regards,

Super61