Sign in to follow this  
anttijaakko

Unusual Aviation Pictures

anybody interested in making a concerted effort on this?

I know quite a few on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th pages (as far as I've looked) ...

I know the following ones:

#7- is the North American AJ-2P Savage

#8 is a French bomber from the 30 and early 40's

#14 looks very much Avro Manchester

#17 is a B-45A Tornado

#18 is a T.4 Lighting

#19 looks like a Beriev Be-10 which was a Soviet built seaplane bomber. Something developed in the same vein as the failed P6M SeaMaster

#20 is the Bell FM-1 Airacuda. It was designed as a bomber killer. The engine nacelles would of held turrets for a trainable 37mm gun.

#21 is the Bell X-5 swing wing test platform

#30 is the Blackburn Firebrand TF.5 variant it looks like

#31 is the Blackburn Blackburn. A FAA spotter and scout aircraft.

#43 is a Sikorsky CH-37 Mojave one of the first heavy life helos that Sikorsky developed

#45 is a R3Y Tradewind. This was designed to fly to an enemy beach and land USMC Raiders or Army Rangers and then fly away. The Plane didn't last long because of poorly designed engines. They used the Allison T40 Turboprops, there were a couple of stupendous accidents in this aircraft using those engines.

#65 and #69 is of the same aircraft the A2D Skyshark. They took the standard AD-4 airframe and stuck a turboprop into it.

#80 is the XF-85 Goblin. Which was supposed to be the protection fighter of the B-36. It was going to carry one in its aft bomb bay to protect it from Soviet fighters. They could never get the trapezze system to work right.

#76 is a FMA IAe 33 Pulqui II. Argentinean fighter

#81 is the Grumman XF5F Skyrocket

#97 is a Xian JH-7 PLAAF Fighter Bomber

#100 is a B-45 Tornado

#105 is a B-50 Superfortress

#122 apprears to be a B-36 where they tested strapping F-84F's and F-84C's onto the wingtips as protection fighters. This was tried after the XF-85 failed

#126 is the Lockheed XFV Vertical Take-off fighter.

#132 is the Martin AM-1 Mauler. The better plane when compared to the Douglas Skyraider, but it was more complex and more expensive. Only a couple hundred were bought and most of those went to USNR units

#133 is the P4M Mercator a replacement for the PB4Y-2 and the PV-2 in the long range patrol and ASW aircraft. A large number of these aircraft were used by VQ-1 and VQ-2 for intelligence operations and a number of these aircraft never returned home from off the CHinese and Soviet coast.

#134 is the Martin P6M SeaMaster seaplane strategtic bomber. It was built to be refueled by submarine or a seaplane tender and while sitting in some Fjord or Atoll be ready to cross the beach with a nuclear weapon. Only 6 were built. The plan was dropped in favor of Polaris SLBM

#144 if the MiG 1.42 advance prototype aircraft

#154 is the YA2F-1 Intruder

#156 and 157 is the Northrup YA-9. The competator to the Fairchild A-10 Thunderbolt II

#221 is the XSB2C-1 Helldiver

#232 is a F3D Skynight

#246 is a Russian Ekranoplan Wing in Ground effect aircraft.

#268 is a Aircraft fire fighting dummy

#279 and 280 are of a Boeing 767 that is used to test new wing shapes. a scale model is put up on top of the cabin and the nose has air data collection equipment.

#283 is the YF-107 Ultra Sabre.

#285 is a Rockwell XFV-12A. It was an attempt by the US Navy to build a supersonic VTOL fighter. However it was found to have an smaller range then the AV-8A at the time and was very hard to control in both level and vertical flight.

#298 is the Vought F8U-3 Crusader III.

#299 is the Vought F7U Cutlass

#316 is the Rockwell X-31

#323 is the Douglas XB-19

#335 is the North American FJ Fury. The plane that the F-86 Sabre was based off of

#336 is the XFV-12A again

#350 is the Yak-141 Freestyle. A supersonic capable VTOL fighter.

#355 and 358 are shots of the Yak-36 VTOL demostrator

That is about all I can ID just off the top of my head and using my references on my bookshelves.

I posted a shot of #5, the PLAAF Tu-4 Awacs testbed during a rant in a thread here, a long time ago...

I gawd... I know a tonne of these, I've got a bunch of info on them at work...

...but I'm not sure I want to reveal too much because it'll make it seem like I NEVER get out...

#51 is the XP-55 Ascender

#128 is the XP-38 (later known as the Lightning)

#129 is the XP-58 Chain Lightning

#165 is a P-38J or L

#167 is an early P-40

#231 is a P-38J or L with skis. I bet that was fun to land!

Edited by Tankbuster17

137 = Martin Baker MB.5

157 = YA-9

163 = Tu-142

188 = Scimitar

206 = YF-107

246 = Ekranoplane

252 = Tacit Blue Project

293 = Valiant

350 = Yak-141

I think 54 is a Mosquito

32 is a B29