Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

B-17II The Mighty Eighth

I had almost forgotten how great this sim is..and it runs like a champ on XP.

I could never get over how long it takes to actually get in the air in that sim. :drag:

I could never get over how long it takes to actually get in the air in that sim. :drag:

If you go through the start up,taxi,and take off on manual..yes it's along time.BUT I like to do that from time to time.and it's a hoot to hear the 4 big radials in surround sound,I can shake the floors!

I prefer having to go through engine start and taxi--I had to do it in all the real planes I've flown! However, it'd be nice to have a setting the enabled/disabled that realism, as I know and understand that's too boring for many people.

I prefer having to go through engine start and taxi--I had to do it in all the real planes I've flown! However, it'd be nice to have a setting the enabled/disabled that realism, as I know and understand that's too boring for many people.

I also like be able to feather a prop,shut an engine down,use the fire ext. and still make it home...or have your wing tank shot up and have to have the engineer switch to the other tank.This is a great sim...I really wish there was a way to get it updated,or atleast add MP>

I also like be able to feather a prop,shut an engine down,use the fire ext. and still make it home...or have your wing tank shot up and have to have the engineer switch to the other tank.This is a great sim...I really wish there was a way to get it updated,or atleast add MP>

I'd like that in many sims. Some other sims I've flown are maddening re: fuel management--one bb hole in a tank and ALL tanks drain in minutes. Many times I couldn't make it home because of that kind of fuel starvation, when the ability to merely switch tanks would have enabled RTB.

Get B-17II and you'll fall in love with the old girl.I can direct you to the patches,or I might even see about uploading them here and the OMF modifier so you can add different skins and nose arts.

I even managed to get in the air in a FW-190 and shoot up some B-17s. That was fun and the graphics were great for the day.

maybe we should have a screenshot contest..or a bombing contest.

I got the old girl back up in the air...first mission was ulgy to say it nicel.My Fort got hammered by flak on the way in and the way out(ok ingress and egress for you purists)lost my waist gunners,yes both of them,to a fighter attack,and had 2 engines shot out,fires everywhere and wounded screaming over the headsets all the way home.Won't go back there for awhile.

http://glewis.us/v7th_Recon/links.htm this is a great site with alot of info on targets.We used it in the v8th AF.besure to listen to the music and check out the short films on the page.click on the movie reel at the bottom of the page or the juke box.At the top of the page are pictures of every target in game.

Well I have it going now but can't get it to recognize my MS Sidewinder joystick.

Well I have it going now but can't get it to recognize my MS Sidewinder joystick.

Okay, okay, I'll reinstall! I really did love the crew management--fighters roaring in, the bomber next to you goes down, you're manning the tailgun and hear that guys are hit ("there's something sticking in me!"), go forward to adminster first aid, the navigator is slumped over his chart desk with bullet holes everywhere, help him, put out a fire, back to the guns to keep the fighters away... Not to mention the fantastic engine start sequence, great bombing procedures, ability to tailor your flightpath out of the worst of the flak areas, etc. Typing all that, I wonder why I stopped flying it? Ah, I know! New baby.

Too bad there won't be an updated version. Still, I'll go grab some things for this and get it back going. It'll be a nice diversion from my WW1 flying.

check in your control panel and check it out on the calibration...and then go to the options section in the game.I had to do that for my X-45.

And, if you want to have a bombing competition...be sure to check out my website for my Bombardier's Competition

If you need any help setting up a competition of your own, let me know and I might be able to help on how I measured and scored my comp.

Doc

And, if you want to have a bombing competition...be sure to check out my website for my Bombardier's Competition

If you need any help setting up a competition of your own, let me know and I might be able to help on how I measured and scored my comp.

Doc

DOC??from the v8th and BA?

Doc it is truely great to see ya here!I'm trying to get some interest back up...I miss the v8th days.Now to get everyone else to show up some and give us a pointer or 2.Great to see you.Navy??ok I won't hold that against you...sorry as an old Leather Neck you know I gotta say something. :victory:

...as an old Leather Neck you know I gotta say something. :victory:

I tend to think of you guys as 'jarheads'...and as an old jarhead, I'm sure you remember that us 'docs' were your best friends. :ok:

My buddy and I both volunteered for FMF out of DT School. He was selected and spent 13 months in 'Nam'...me, they sent to work at a small medical/dental dispensory for the staffs of CINCPAC and CINCPACFLT. More admirals and captains than you could shake a stick at. Oh, did I mention this was in Hawaii? Spent two years there before going aboard the USS Oriskany. Be sure to check out my Oriskany site too.

Doc

Edited by navydoc

Glad you're here,Doc.If I can get enough people interested then yes we can use your scoring method.