Sign in to follow this  
jetjak73

How to disable the 'external' engine sound when in the cockpit view

When "inside" your airplane, you hear two engine sounds in the background. One is the (external) engine sound and the other is more of a muffled, "sealed-up" sound which i believe is also the windstream sound. I find it unrealistic to hear the external engine sound when in the cockpit view. Is there a way, perhaps in an .ini file, to disable the external engine sound from being heard within the cockpit?

Thanks...

Edited by jetjak73

Yes, some of the jets have irritating noises, especially the Mirage.

What I did for the F4 is to mod the enginesound by giving it some echo. Now the sound in cockpit has fuller reverbration quality and is more mellow (easy on the ears) and imo it is very realistic - too someone who has never been in a pit.

But I also found that while it sounded great in the F4, it wasn't as good for other jets.

So, by modding stock sound and various 3rd party sounds, I have made individual enginesound files for my favourite jets.

Very easy to do:

Open winXP Sound Recorder - find sound file and open it - select EFFECTS - select Add Echo - SAVE.

(For the Mirage, I found the sound also needed to be slowed down a bit, using Sound Recorder)

You will need to give individual names to these sound files AND edit the enginesound entry in the specific a/c data ini to use the file.

I highly recommend this as it increases the immersion.

The best solution, by far, is to use Kreelin's "Sound3D" utility. It silences the external engine sound to a whisper inside the cockpit, or, from a forward external view on approach, but allows full volume when an aircraft is viewed from the rear quadrant.

It's quite immersive to go head to head with an opponent in virtual silence, and then catch an earfull of a doppler shifted "boooom!" as he recedes into the distance, behind you.

The best solution, by far, is to use Kreelin's "Sound3D" utility. It silences the external engine sound to a whisper inside the cockpit, or, from a forward external view on approach, but allows full volume when an aircraft is viewed from the rear quadrant.

It's quite immersive to go head to head with an opponent in virtual silence, and then catch an earfull of a doppler shifted "boooom!" as he recedes into the distance, behind you.

Could you possibly point me in the right direction, I'm having trouble finding it. :blush:

Yes, that does the job

Except the cockpit is too quiet and I lose the sense of speed ezpecially when increasing thrust and afterburners

To fix you can go into Soundlist.ini and increase the ConeOutsideVolume

This will increase the in-cockpit sound level to your personal preference - I have set mine to 25 engine and 20 afterburner

Note, you will need to do this for any jet engine sounds that you have, eg F4Engine, MirageEngine, etc

I'm not too found of most external engine sounds being heard in the cockpit, at all. In real life, even afterburners are inaudible from the 'pit. So, I've replaced the default cockpit "windloop" wav with one that I've christened, "jetpit".

As in the case of the default windloop, it is an airspeed-dependant sound effect. It is totally inaudible below 150 knots, and builds up in volume and crescendo above that speed. right on up to its 250-knot peak.

I'm of the opinion that it's a better (and possibly more realistic) sound effect, than the external engine wavs.

Watch and hear it in action in this video, HERE.

Should anyone want it, I'll upload it along with instructions as to how to enable it in both 3rd-party and default aircraft models.

I'm not too found of most external engine sounds being heard in the cockpit, at all. In real life, even afterburners are inaudible from the 'pit. So, I've replaced the default cockpit "windloop" wav with one that I've christened, "jetpit".

As in the case of the default windloop, it is an airspeed-dependant sound effect. It is totally inaudible below 150 knots, and builds up in volume and crescendo above that speed. right on up to its 250-knot peak.

I'm of the opinion that it's a better (and possibly more realistic) sound effect, than the external engine wavs.

Watch and hear it in action in this video, HERE.

Should anyone want it, I'll upload it along with instructions as to how to enable it in both 3rd-party and default aircraft models.

Yes, please post it. It's a great mod that adds a good deal of realism to the game. Thanks for sharing it.

Yes, please post it. It's a great mod that adds a good deal of realism to the game. Thanks for sharing it.

Available, HERE

Available, HERE

Love the jetpit sound mod you did!

It makes for a quieter ride and I can now clearly hear my wingman over the roar of the engines.

Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for the tip, but this doesn't seem to work. I ran the .exe from within my WOV directory as advised in the readme and the engine sound still plays within the cockpit at full volume as usual.

Edited by jetjak73

Thanks for the tip, but this doesn't seem to work. I ran the .exe from within my WOV directory as advised in the readme and the engine sound still plays within the cockpit at full volume as usual.

Try running it again. It worked fine for me in every TW sim I've tried it on, so far.

Try running it again. It worked fine for me in every TW sim I've tried it on, so far.

Unfortunately, I ran it again and it failed to make a difference. I placed the .exe file in the WOV main folder (per readme) and ran it without any errors. The Soundlist.ini file was already extracted from the flightdata.cat file. Is the soundlist.ini file supposed to remain in the Flight folder? That's where i left it. Again, i am looking to have the jet sound reduced when in the cockpit. Is that what "sound3d.exe" is supposed to do? Seems by the title of the file that it is meant to enhance 3d sound, not reduce it...

Thanks,

JJ

It changes the engine sound's effective "cone", placing the cockpit outside of the zone where one would hear the full effect.

Is this with a 3rd party a/c with it's own engine sound -if so, have you added the sound to soundlist? (Althouhg I don't think this would cause the problem)

Basically the exe edits the soundlist to reduce the cone of sound in the cockpit from 360 to 300

You can do it yourself easily, edit the Soundlist so that :

InsideConeAngle=300 ( or suit to taste, I use 330 so I can here more roar when I look right back.

You need to do this for all engine sounds and for JetBurner.

Also you can change the ConeOutsideVolume=0 to something higher if you like.

I have it at ConeOutsideVolume=20 as I always assumed that pilot could hear the engines well and now I like it like that. This setting is still less than outside volume and can hear radio comms clearly.

Note, as Fubar stated before, this also reduces the engine sound when in external view and looking at a/c headon, but doesn't detract.

Is this with a 3rd party a/c with it's own engine sound -if so, have you added the sound to soundlist? (Althouhg I don't think this would cause the problem)

Basically the exe edits the soundlist to reduce the cone of sound in the cockpit from 360 to 300

You can do it yourself easily, edit the Soundlist so that :

InsideConeAngle=300 ( or suit to taste, I use 330 so I can here more roar when I look right back.

You need to do this for all engine sounds and for JetBurner.

Also you can change the ConeOutsideVolume=0 to something higher if you like.

I have it at ConeOutsideVolume=20 as I always assumed that pilot could hear the engines well and now I like it like that. This setting is still less than outside volume and can hear radio comms clearly.

Note, as Fubar stated before, this also reduces the engine sound when in external view and looking at a/c headon, but doesn't detract.

Thanks for the detailed info. Will follow and test...