Sign in to follow this  
TexasBlues

WoV Planning Map Front Battle Line

I have been playing WoV for several weeks now and i have a problem (i think)...

I am playing a long campaign, all settings to normal, using an A4, operation rolling thunder, and have landed on the carrier several times... most (maybe 90%) of my missions are successful on the first try... but the battlel line has yet to move to shaw any progress of the air-strikes...

i have the latest patch ( i think) the carrier is underway on the screen so i have to hit a moving target and the planning map has changed to show other areas that are enemy installations etc... but still no 'front line' movemment...

any ideas or suggestions?

thanks in advance!

TexasBlues

Hello there,

Well, there is no problem there. Historically, Rolling Thunder was an air campaign meant to bring the North to the negotiating table. Also, most of the Vietnam war was defensive for the South Vietnamese and Americans, repelling invasion and fighting the guerilla attacks. There was no American military ground advance. (though, I beleive there was incursions from Laos and pushes by the South Vietnamese with American air support)

The air war, especially Rolling Thunder was about crippling the war effort of the north, and forcing them to the negotiating table. It was also a very political can of worms. Certain targets were off limits. Targets had to be ok'd by the WhiteHouse. Any Russian or Chinese ships, etc were off limits (although the cargo was fair game) for fear of drawing the USSR and China into the war. Invading and taking territory would risk the same.

If the battle line would move, it should be into south Vietnam, as the North was actively invading. I don't know how the game is set up, but my guess is that for certain campaigns, that line is static. I am sure, other people with a better knowledge of the war and game will correct meand explain it further.

know what? i never thought of that... and i didnt realize just HOW historically accurate this game was supposed to be...

thanks a million for your insight... now i know that i will just have to keep pounding the daylights out of them... and maybe they'll give up...

The front won't move anywhere in the RT campaign. Apart from the two ARVN Divisions on the map there are no ground units. The ARVN won't move because their supply is to small, and no north vietnamese units are there to push south. Suspect that's also the reason you don't draw any armed recon or CAS missions.

Not sure if Linebacker I has NV units on the ground.

S!