Sign in to follow this  
Gepard

Vogesen Terrain

My first terrain made for FE is now available for download here at combatace. It is still a Beta version, but i think dogfighting over and between the hills of the vogesen mountains is already very nice.

The readme:

VOGESEN TERRAIN Beta

=====================

Vogesen terrain is made for First Eagles.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

INSTALLATION

1.) unzip all files into your WWI/Terrain folder

Thats it.

The Vogesen, in french Vosges, are a mountain ridge along the former french german border. It devided the Elsass (Alsace) from Lothringen. The Elsass was till 1648 german, from 1648 to 1871 french and became german again in 1871. When the great war broke out french armies tried to attack from Fortress Belfort in direction of Mühlhausen (Muhlhouse), but had no real success. Also along the hills of the Vogesen mountains the war was hard and bitter. The german soldier fought here on german soil to defend the civilists in the Elsass lowlands, very often only some steps away from the last hills from where you have a beautifull look over the towns and villages.

Very hard were the fights around the hill Hartmannsweilerkopf (Hartmannswillerkopf).

I gave the towns and villages their old german names, to represent the time of the great war. This is not expression of desires of revanche which poissend the relations between germans and french since the french engagement during the 30 years war (1618 - 48). I'm glad that this bitter times are over and germans and french call friends each other.

Vogesen Terrain is still a Beta. Only the southern part of the terrain is finished. The most airfields are also not yet finished.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Vogesen terrain Beta is freeware.

If you find bugs please post them in StrikeFighters section of SimHQ.com forum or Combatace.com forum.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hope you enjoy it.

Michael (Gepard)

(S!) ALL hi ;-)

Ho boy no more flat ground and it will be so fun flying in them hills,

This now opens the door for Alpine! Please Please Please……..

Thank you for your work, looking forward to its finish. :good::clapping:

your friend in the FE sky

v. Deutschmark

Looks very good and flying a N11 over the hills fighting the AlbD3 was very nice... (upps did I say N11)....;)

Try recon missions with radom set enemy air activity. Always if i fly with DVIIF twinformation i get opposition of 6 to 12 Spads and SE-5's. It real hard work to survive such a mission without crashing into the hills or shooten down.

Looks very good and flying a N11 over the hills fighting the AlbD3 was very nice... (upps did I say N11)....;)

Teaser :glare: lol ....

Gepard,

First I would like to thank you for all your hard work, it is a lot of fun to have a break and fly away to a different terrain... And great to finally see a bridge and buildings larger than shoe boxes!!!

A question/comment re: that amazing bridge. Call me crazy, but I couldn't help try a "Blue Max" maneuver under it but I kept exploding [you have to see the movie, tell me some of you haven't already tried, or is it just me having fun???]. I first thought I was hitting something, either the underside of the bridge or the water surface when I kept trying to get lower. I finally paused the game and advanced it slowly. See below.

It appears that the bridge is one solid 3d construct, OR, there is some new-fangled German force-field protecting it... Perhaps it can be altered for nimrods like me to fly under? I can actually see doing this as useful to get an enemy off yer tail, though I guess you wouldn't have a lot of maneuvering room/altitude on the other side :crazy:

img00006.jpg

img00007.jpg

img00008.jpg

Edited by B Bandy RFC

Hi Bandy,

unfortunalty I'm no model builder. But i could look into my file library. Perhaps i will find an other bridge to fly "Blue Max" stylish.

Hi Bandy, unfortunalty I'm no model builder. But i could look into my file library. Perhaps i will find an other bridge to fly "Blue Max" stylish.

hi folks... i'm not an expert, but it looks like the collision model for the bridge is a bounding box, or something.

consequently you will not be able to fly under the bridge, no matter what model you use. the solution would be

to use a collision model that more accurately follows the bridge geometry, allowing you to fly through it's holes.

regards.

I can send you 3DS file of this bridge, because I dont know why planes explodes under the bridge

Monty

Tell the bridge operator to lower the shields...

:rolleyes:

Collision points(for planes at least) are set somewhere in ini, aren't they? What if you add more of them, not just the outline box.. Though, I don't know if it applies to static objects :dntknw:

Im pretty sure the problem with the bridge is not the collision points on the plane but the bridge is a solid object from the top to the bottom of the 3d Model box. THis would make it where you could see under it and all but even the invisable parts on the bridge are still there.

And yes If I see a bridge I have to try and fly under it as well. One of the old Flying corps gold and RB3 tricks 8)

Would be nice to have the bridges where the under side is not a collision point and that would free up for the idea of maybe transport ships to be able to use the shipping channels and such......

Do you has tried fly under one of the WOV bridges? If so, i could ask TK wheter i can use a WOV bridge in Vogesen terrain.

Or someone else of the mod builders would made a new bridge.

Great work, thanks, the hills valleys and mountains are outstanding and make

the flying more fun and interesting

Call me crazy, but I couldn't help try a "Blue Max" maneuver under it but I kept exploding

Ah that'd be because you didn't use the DR1 :oops: LOL. Nice terrain. I missed this ... hafta try it out.

Gepard, excellent terrain mod. Tried it last night but kept away from bridges ! It's very challenging as you indicated. I joined the RFC and flew the Bristol M1C (imported from Mesopotamia at great personal cost). My squad mate and I had to contend with a dozen DR1's. That's tough ..... and with patch2's improved EA accuracy and rudder usage ..... well it's a real challenge. But that's a good thing and increases immersion greatly.

Hi guys,

Have a look below, are your Vogesen mountains looking "snow-capped" in the distance like mine are, or is this more b_ll-sh_t with my ATI card??? While I kinda like it, I think it is artifactual...

Would like to know BEFORE I go complaining/whining elsewhere... Next time, I will NOT go ATI Radeon...

EDIT: so I need to be in a DR1 for the bridge? I knew it was some sort of whacky German force-field... :slow:

SE5MountainChase.jpg

Edited by B Bandy RFC

It's certainly odd Bandy. Did this problem start only after patch2 and have other ATI users experienced the same ? It may be more then just the ATI card or a corrupted patch2 install ? But I'm no expert. Good luck with it. Don't give up hope.

The far mountains are also on my computer white or light grey. I have an ATI X850XT.

I think this graphic card was no good choise.

I have that as well had all the time on all terrains...

Its not that ATI cards are crap not had any problems on other games its more that TK needs to have better testing on more different cards... he will fix it though... Im quite sure of that..