Sign in to follow this  
Firecage

Dr1 Hard FM - Firecage

The A - Team has given me permission to release this to the forums and combat ace but that doesn't mean they endorse it yet. They may be sitting back laughing to hard to speak yet. Ya just never know. :rofl:

Enough on that... its tuned for hard FM, Its a freak show to fly, its like riding on glass at times.... but if you work with it some you will find its a mean machine IMHO.

After being shown some articles from people who have been in the cockpits of a dr1, I tried to make the plane have the results they described. The plane seem to be washy and tends to be a bit un ruley but, if you can get hold of the reigns it's a blast. :crazy:

This FM blows on normal, sorry :sorry:

This is only version 1.0 trial runs. I have an account on CA and you can msg any useful info to me there for FM suggestions.

Installation :Go to wwi>objects>aircraft>dr1 Back up your dr1_Data.ini somewhere and drop this one in its place.

Here it is

Firecage

Wow excellent Firecage (and A-team for release permission). It's not xmas already is it ? Looking forward to trying her out. Looks like a good candidate for your planefest campaign too.

Firecage, don't know if it's just me but I get this error "we could not find the file specified" on your download link.

hmmm not sure whats up on that. I know I haven't got the approval back form CA yet so maybe its not available for public till they ok it.

I can DL it fine but that may be because I put it up here.

I received the "we could not find the file specified" soon after you posted it but it worked fine @12 hours ago.

Thanks Firecage, for improving the 'hard' FM!!! :-)

cheers, Recon3

Yes , Just back yours up somewhere and replace it with this one.

If you need the Dr1 files that go with it you have to DL it from http://cplengineeringllc.com/SFP1/Skunworks1.html

My agreement was to only offer the data file on the plane. The rest still comes through their server and their DL system.

Email Capun here -- > capun1950 (at) yahoo (dot) com replacing the (at) and the (dot) for the obvious things. If I remember right he asked me for a username and password and he will email you the rest of what you need. I Highly reccomend all of thier planes. :biggrin:

FC,

Had a chance to fly your FM last night. It is quite good for, as you say yourself, the first release of it...

Now, if I may preface the following statements with the fact that I've being flying Hard settings for only a few weeks now (so take them as you will), I've found the following oddities...

I put the DR1 into a vertical climb over and over, and it pulls till the airspeed is around 20-30 mph, maybe even less (I'll check some more), and instead of stalling as expected at that airspeed, the tail pops up like magic, there is some loss of altitude, but then airspeed is recovered a little too quickly. I can only compare this to what happens with TK's FM stalls...

Stalls must be incredibly hard to model properly, I understand that, but of course they are SO important to get near to the real thing in a WW1 combat sim. I have no idea what needs to be tweaked...

Hope this bit helps

PS: not sure what you meant by "flying on glass"...

FC,

Had a chance to fly your FM last night. It is quite good for, as you say yourself, the first release of it...

Now, if I may preface the following statements with the fact that I've being flying Hard settings for only a few weeks now (so take them as you will), I've found the following oddities...

I put the DR1 into a vertical climb over and over, and it pulls till the airspeed is around 20-30 mph, maybe even less (I'll check some more), and instead of stalling as expected at that airspeed, the tail pops up like magic, there is some loss of altitude, but then airspeed is recovered a little too quickly. I can only compare this to what happens with TK's FM stalls...

Stalls must be incredibly hard to model properly, I understand that, but of course they are SO important to get near to the real thing in a WW1 combat sim. I have no idea what needs to be tweaked...

Hope this bit helps

PS: not sure what you meant by "flying on glass"...

Hey Brandy, Thanks for the input.

Ok here's what I was trying to do for the vertical stalls. The plane should go up untill you hit the stall speed. Then In my mind the gravity and the weight would take over mostly. Since alot of the weight was in the nose/eng area I would assume it would be trying to pull the nose down and head back the way it came towards the ground. One thing I DO NOT like in some of the planes that get to that stall point and just start doing wierd flinches and things an airplane would NOT do.

One thing I been trying to do is watch alot of the airshows footage of biplanes and see how they react, I have yet to see one do the twiching thing like some of the FMs do. The ones I see go up hang theres a sec or so and then gravity and weight take over. I do realize I don't get to see them in trouble and go 'hey thats what a flat spin to the earth looks like' <snicker>. Most of the shows only show the good light unless something goes wrong.

Now that being said what I miss is being able to get the plane to spin into a hard flat spin for a bit but we don't have that yet or at least I haven't found it. Most of what I look for is a fluid motion as certain forces recede and other come into play. SO as the Engine and lift of the wings starts to fail the weight of the nose area and gravity take over.

One thing I was reading from a site of pilots who have replica planes was the DR1 lost control hard when it got slow and the rudder was kinda useless. If you notice the Dr1 at the top of the loop looses the control untill it speeds back up.

Now thats what was trying to do but, can you explain which part your seeing in the flight that needs work? IF you can help me on more specific places along the stall. I use the hammerhead attack alot in german planes here because they have a good throw on the plane when you hit the rudders in a certain way. The Dr1 can do that as well but not at lower speeds, it can throw into a skid almost and then hit the rudder and hold on 8) . Now right there is where I wish we had spins because when you pop it to hard it SHOULD spin the plane and put you in harms ways. I think thats the part thats missing the most, SPINS. IT's like another counter weight to use to keep things in check.

IF you want take pics and show me what your seeing. Im looking for this info 8)

Oh and the sliding on glass is something I saw in videos of the FM I took so I could just watch the plane fly. THe Dr1 has a tendancy to slide around alot.

One more note again.... I took what A team had and tweaked it to what I thought was a good plane to fly on hard FM. Alot of the FM model is what they had and I did some things to it. So credit to both sides.

And thanks again.

Hi Firecage,

Thanks for doing this....I like Hard FM, but couldn't fly this until now, and I know it was not easy, this is probably the trickiest. I'm enjoying flying this now.

Idon't like planes to be overmodelled. too easy. but I'd say that in a turning dogfight this could be better, better lift/turn/rudder, at the moment on hard its a challenge to outturn some ...could then reduce top speed to the historical value to offset.

Just some thoughts, my opinion only, hope this is okay, as I said, you have done a great job and I'm enjoying it.

I also had trouble with Hard mods changes I made getting them to takeoff.

Cheers

Which planes are you having trouble with on turns?

While I haven't had a chance to test out FC's DR1 FM yet, I've noticed this on a few add-ons ..... not so much the stock planes. They climb vertically at low speed for 1000's of feet before finally stalling out as Bandy has described .... as far as I've noticed, on all the planes with these symptoms the elevators "stick" up or down so you have to employ opposite stick to get to a neutral flying position rather than just centreing the stick. The ailerons and rudder will automatically revert to neutral, as they should, when the stick is released or centred.

Just wondering if this has anything to do with the unrealistic vertical climb ?

And speaking of climbing, does anyone know why as soon as you hit 2000ft your altitude changes to 2800 or 3000ft in an instant ? Doesn't seem to happen at other heights.

Argggg!! Sorry Firecage!!! I have about 5 different installs I fiddle with, and tried your plane in free flight and it flew well. Then next day flew a series of dogfights, BUT it was my WIP mods (not entirely dissimilar to yours in outcome thought done quite differently, but turn is far less of course, offset by better rudder), so all my remarks are actually directed at myself... :blush:

Edited by peter01

Firecage, The new FM is much better!

I'm new to FE and moding FM's. I've been trying to get a few planes to fly better but, can't seem to get enough rudder response on some. I even set the dampening to 0. There is other lines of info I do not know what they are or do, but noticed change from the original FM. Also I want to know where to adjust the in cockpit camera panning. I noticed the DR1 only looks about 90 degrees to the side.

Could someone please send me a reference for the items to play with for modifing the FMs.

Salute! Stachel

I'm new to FE and moding FM's. I've been trying to get a few planes to fly better but, can't seem to get enough rudder response on some. I even set the dampening to 0. There is other lines of info I do not know what they are or do, but noticed change from the original FM. Also I want to know where to adjust the in cockpit camera panning. I noticed the DR1 only looks about 90 degrees to the side.

Could someone please send me a reference for the items to play with for modifing the FMs.

Salute! Stachel

go to this link and look at the very bottom of the page for SF reference note. DL that and its full of great info

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/CharlesEAW/sfpage.html

hope it helps

Salute! Stachel

Hi Stachel, welcome to FE, and welcome to modding.

The site Firecage pointed you to is THE reference site, but info will take some time to digest. There is some assumed knowledge. Not sure if it answers your specific question on panning tho.

As you like me are a cockpit flyer, here's some specific help. I'm sure many would probably like to mod these for other planes as well not just Dr1.

To change rudder, in the dr1_data.ini file in the plane folder (Dr1 in this case), in section [Rudder] locate line Cndc= (whatever it is). Increase say 25%, fly and test, then tweak till it suits.

To pan all the way to the rear try this - in the dr1_cockpit.ini file in the plane folder, in section [CockpitSeat001] change the two lines MaxYaw= (whatever) and MinYaw= (whatever) to 180 and -180.

Similar for all planes, but you will need to do it for each plane, and of course there are reasons why designers put in values they do.

All the best.

Edited by peter01