Sign in to follow this  
allenjb42

Strike Fighters Briefing Pack

Strike Fighters Briefing Pack

View File

Strike Fighters Briefing Pack Readme

For some reason the creators of many of the third party terrains that have been released have omitted to include a briefing.ini file with the terrain or have included a blank document. What this means is that when you click on the briefing tab in the mission setup area you will get a black screen and a CTD, which kind of ruins the atmosphere when you're getting pumped up to go out there to defend the free world against the rampaging communist/Nazi etc hordes.

Here is a collection of briefing.ini files for most of the terrains out there that have this problem with what I hope is some appropriate text to get you in the mood for your mission. Feel free to edit them to suit your needs.

I've also included English briefing.ini files for Gepard's Israel and Suez terrains as the originals are in German.

List of briefings included:

AE - Madagascar terrain

AmericaNW - American North West terrain

ANWgreen - American North West terrain (Green)

ANWwinter - American North West terrain (Winter)

DS - Desert Storm terrain

IR - Iran Iraq terrain

Israel 2 - Israel v2 terrain

Israel - Israel terrain

Kosovo - Kosovo terrain

libya - Libya terrain

LibyaWW2 - WW2 Libya terrain

Malvinas - Malvinas terrain

mideast - Middle East terrain

scal - Southern California (Top Gun) terrain

SE - South East USA terrain

Suez - Suez terrain

SW - South West USA (Red Flag) terrain

tiawan - Taiwan terrain (the USAFMTL version)

Ibstallation is simple - just extract the briefing you want to the appropriate terrain's folder, which you will already have installed within your Strike Fighters, WOV or WOE Terrain folder. The only other thing you may need to do is to check inside the individual terrain's folder in the .ini file to make sure that the line

BriefingText=

includes the name of the briefing.ini file. For example, in my Kosovo terrain folder the kosovo.ini file contains the line

BriefingText=Kosovo_briefing.INI

The only terrains that I know you will have to edit are USAFMTL's mideast terrain (which points to the original desert_briefing.ini) and Wrench's WW2Libya (which points to the libya_briefing.ini). All of the rest should work just fine.

Thanks to TK for SF, WOV, WOE, FE and who knows what else, and of course to the creators of all of these fine terrains for enhancing this great game of ours.

Have fun, and good hunting...

Allen (allenjb42) Burton

Any problems, find me at combatace.com, simhq.com or column5.us

Well, shoot.

I have forgotten all about this foible, as I have been in 1st Eagles mode for a bit.

Went to try a spin in the new and glowingly reported Su-27, and inadvertantly clicked on briefing. Black screen. Dangit!

Grabbed this rascal, and fear the briefing screen no more!

Cheers!

Good work.

Just one question: is it possible to show the player's squadron instead of the aircraft type? It's a minor annoyance, not with your briefing screens in particular, it also happens in the default briefing screens.

Good work.

Just one question: is it possible to show the player's squadron instead of the aircraft type? It's a minor annoyance, not with your briefing screens in particular, it also happens in the default briefing screens.

You need to make sure that the squadron that your plane's skin is for is included in the squadronlist.ini (in the pilotdata folder). For example, in my SFGKosovo install I added VAQ141 to the list like this:

[squadron014]

Name=VAQ141

DisplayName=VAQ-141 Shadowhawks

Nation=USN

And then when I ran a single mission and went to the briefing, hey presto:

KosovoBriefing.jpg

Now to add all the squadrons for all the skins in all my installs....