Sign in to follow this  
Madmalamute

Odd thought on MIG-25...what do you guys think?

I was playing with the two seat MIG 25 that was released in the latest Foxbat pack. Afterwards, I looked up at the MIG-31 model i have standing on my desk and was hit with a thought. Could that two seat Foxbat have been a testbed/trainer for the Foxhound? Or am I totally off the deep end?

No, you ain;t crazy :smile: The Russians did use Mig-25Us for a while to train up Foxhound crews. But when the Foxbats were withdrawn from service, Lead In Fighter Training (LIFT) duties were transferred to pther aircraft, Su-27UBs, Yak-130s(?) and other aircraft including a small contingent of Mig-31s. The Foxbat did hace very similar flight characteristics (after all, the 31 was developed from the 25), so it made an obvious choice to use as a LIFT.

That's a big "WELL DUH" on my part there :crazy: ...you would think that even with my half a brain I could have figured out that the -31 was developed from the -25.

Thanks guys!!!

MiG-31 Foxhound 2-seats Interceptor

MiG-31-6.jpg

mig31-7.jpg

mig31bm_3.jpg

MiG-25 Foxbat Single-seat Interceptor

mig-25_1.jpg

MiG-25PU Trainer

f_pilotag2.jpg

The massive R-15 turbojet with afterburner

az_mig-25.jpg

The Foxhound carries more missiles (4 more missiles) and look down-shoot down capabilities Zaslon radar. It's also heavier and has a bigger engine (Tumanskii R-15B-300 22,494 lb on MiG-25 vs Soloviev D-30F-6 34,172 lb).

MiG-25_fig2agrau_USAF.jpg

Ye-155R-1.jpg

800px-MiG-31_radar.jpg

The Zaslon-M radar

The Foxhound carries more missiles (4 more missiles) and look down-shoot down capabilities Zaslon radar.

I can't remember exactly but I'm positive the VVS is looking to use the augmented 2nd/3rd gen Phazotron Phased array. But I can't find the source, so don't take it as though its set in stone.

Plus, depending on what missiles are used on the fuselage hardpoints, up to six can be carried:

_mig-31m_r37a.jpg

This is a snap of a Mig-31M with the newer R-37s

And Dont forget that the foxhound is equiped with a gun ( something we know the foxbat was missing altogether). But even though they have similar looks they are actually different aircraft alltogether. But it still doesnt hold a match to the F-14 tomcat which would definitely take it down in a dogfight or from 20+ miles away with a AIM-54 Phoinex.

Edited by Falcon161

IIRC a Tomcat almost did shoot down a MiG-25 in a dogfight, or a one-sided engagement, I guess you could call it. I believe it was the high-time Tomcat pilot Dale "Snort" Snodgrass who had the Foxbat in his gun-pipper for a good long time but was never given permission to fire. I'm pretty sure there's guncamera footage of it too, but I have had trouble finding it online.

I can't remember exactly but I'm positive the VVS is looking to use the augmented 2nd/3rd gen Phazotron Phased array. But I can't find the source, so don't take it as though its set in stone.

Plus, depending on what missiles are used on the fuselage hardpoints, up to six can be carried:

_mig-31m_r37a.jpg

This is a snap of a Mig-31M with the newer R-37s

How in the blazing hades did they fit SIX of those under there?? Did they make it big-ger? And how do i modify the -25PU to carry missiles like that!!! I wanna freak my friends out!!!

Is it really true that the -31's radar can "burn" through most ECM on our aircraft today? Read this in a book called the Encylcpedia of Modern Warplanes.

Edited by Madmalamute

Is it really true that the -31's radar can "burn" through most ECM on our aircraft today? Read this in a book called the Encylcpedia of Modern Warplanes.

I think all ECM deceptive / jamming can be burned through eventually - just depends at what range the Mig obtains a lock. At that point its time to switch off the ECM because the Mig is like to launch a missile that can home in on the ECM pod.

Also depends on the type of ECM pod being used.

IIRC a Tomcat almost did shoot down a MiG-25 in a dogfight, or a one-sided engagement, I guess you could call it. I believe it was the high-time Tomcat pilot Dale "Snort" Snodgrass who had the Foxbat in his gun-pipper for a good long time but was never given permission to fire. I'm pretty sure there's guncamera footage of it too, but I have had trouble finding it online.

Damn rules of engagement! :angry: LOL

The Mig-25 is nice but the Mig-31 is just beautiful......

German ace Eric Hartmann said that the best way to shoot the enemy down was to spot them first, zoom in fast, kill, and escape (he rarely got into a dogfight). Give me a MiG-25 any day to do just that. Light up those two magnificent blowholes, bring that beast up to ram speed, hose the enemy down thoroughly, and depart the fight (easily done sustaining the ram speed). Dogfighting is not where the MiG-25 rules, so do not dogfight with her. The Flying Tigers using the P-40 out gunned Hirohito's best over China in WWII by using what their aircraft did best and by disciplined coordinated attacks, not by dogfighting. Come in fast, shoot the bad guy, and depart. If you're lucky, most of the bad guys will jettison their war load to get ready to dogfight and you have won the day. Game over.

Do wish the -25 had a gun though......!

Edited by Jug