Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

New patch released..

Thirdwire has released the long awaited 2nd patch for First Eagles.Get over to Thirdwire and grab it.remember to back up your folder,as with past experience,new patches will over right alot of your mods.Get the Patch FE PATCH

enjoy!

Thanks for the headsup Dagger. I never had graphical issues so I'll wait and see what develops with those that test it out .... although the AI rudder fix is a good thing. Alternatively, are you able to provide basic instructions to install a separate "vanilla copy" of FE so I can muck about with patches and mods and all that good stuff without affecting my game saves and current setup.

Alternatively, are you able to provide basic instructions to install a separate "vanilla copy" of FE so I can muck about with patches and mods and all that good stuff without affecting my game saves and current setup.

the easy way is to make a copy of your plain patched folder and paste it somewhere and rename it(I just add the word plain to mine)and make a copy of the exe. and point it to the new folder(oh yeah,be sure to rename the exe).mines just called WW1plain.hope this helps.

Rats! I'll have to update my SPADs again.. :crazy::tomato:

AI is supposed to use rudder and shoot more.. I'm gonna try it right now. :biggrin:

Readme from the Patch....

====================================

First Eagles: The Great Air War 1918

Readme File

====================================

--------------

1. Patch Notes

--------------

This patch includes all the fixes from previous patch, and can

be applied to any version of the game.

The patch fixes some of the issues encountered by the users,

as well as provide some improvements to the game based on

user feedback.

The patch will delete any saved campaign in progress.

If you have installed any mods to the game, please be sure to

back them up prior to applying this patch. Patch will delete

files that have been changed (please see the list below). If

you wish to re-apply your mods that were deleted, we recommend

you extract patched file and make the changes on those.

List of changes in this Patch include:

v02.19.07

---------

* Fixed problems with terrain rendering on some ATI video cards.

* Terrain clipping near the edge of the screen is fixed.

* AI is adjusted to use rudder during dogfights.

* AI is tweaked to fire machineguns in loger burst.

* Landing gear suspension compression animations are added.

List of files that will be deleted by the Patch

-----------------------------------------------

Flight\FLIGHTENGINE.INI

Flight\COMMDATA.INI

Flight\HUDDATA.INI

Flight\MISSIONCONTROL.INI

Flight\MISSIONSUMMARY.INI

Objects\AIRCRAFTOBJECT.INI

Objects\Aircraft\AlbatrosD5a\ALBATROSD5A_DATA.INI

Objects\Aircraft\DFWC5\DFWC5.INI

Objects\Aircraft\DFWC5\DFWC5_DATA.INI

Objects\Aircraft\FokkerD7\FOKKERD7_COCKPIT.INI

Objects\Aircraft\FokkerD7\FOKKERD7_DATA.INI

Objects\Aircraft\FokkerD7F\FOKKERD7F_DATA.INI

Objects\Aircraft\Salmson2A\SALMSON2A.INI

Objects\Aircraft\Salmson2A\SALMSON2A_DATA.INI

Objects\Aircraft\SE5a\SE5A_AVIONICS.INI

Objects\Aircraft\SE5a\SE5A_COCKPIT.INI

Objects\Aircraft\SE5a\SE5A_DATA.INI

Objects\Aircraft\SPAD13\SPAD13_COCKPIT.INI

Objects\Aircraft\SPAD13\SPAD13_DATA.INI

Terrain\wwiVerdun\WWIVERDUN.INI

Terrain\wwiVerdun\WWIVERDUN_DATA.INI

Terrain\wwiVerdun\WWIVERDUN_TYPES.INI

If you have extracted and modified any of the above, and would

like to save your changes, back up those files before applying

the patch.

Wow... AI does shoot more. :good: About 10 pilots of my flight(16 SE5) managed to waste all their ammo. And they use rudder. Just saw an Alb steadily following SE5 for about 4 minutes through all turns... He was shooting but missed a lot. Actually I noticed that he chose one spot to shoot at(a bit higher than the target, which at the moment was flying straight) and fired and his ammo without correcting aim.

That's what I'd like to see in the new patch - AI correcting aim. After that we'll be able to boost plane durability without ruining AI kill rate. :biggrin:

Updated my SPADs :drag::alcoholic:

There is a new entry in weapons, BTW

Synchronized=

the easy way is to make a copy of your plain patched folder and paste it somewhere and rename it(I just add the word plain to mine)and make a copy of the exe. and point it to the new folder(oh yeah,be sure to rename the exe).mines just called WW1plain.hope this helps.

Thanks Dagger. I kind of understand but being a newbie to this kind of thing is it possible to provide more comprehensive detail or a link for dummies on this subject lol ?! On another post TK said you can just copy your modded FE, than add patch2 to it, then if it has issues go back to the original. Sounds simple but details such as pointing exe's to it (amongst other things I guess) are foreign to me ?

The alternative method I guess is a complete reinstall of a 2nd vanilla copy of FE on your hard drive, but as simple as this probably is, I don't know the precise steps. Hope you or someone else can help .... and sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks Dagger. I kind of understand but being a newbie to this kind of thing is it possible to provide more comprehensive detail or a link for dummies on this subject lol ?! On another post TK said you can just copy your modded FE, than add patch2 to it, then if it has issues go back to the original. Sounds simple but details such as pointing exe's to it (amongst other things I guess) are foreign to me ?

The alternative method I guess is a complete reinstall of a 2nd vanilla copy of FE on your hard drive, but as simple as this probably is, I don't know the precise steps. Hope you or someone else can help .... and sorry for the newbie questions.

Hi catch, step by step instructions should be done, but are time consuming/complex.

I know having seen your posts in the forums roughly what you have- new planes, campaigns, skins, terrains, new view commands and maybe changed your graphics in flightengine.ini for the ATeams camel. This is probably what most have...

If thats pretty well the case, do what TK suggested on his site. Its simple and you'll be playing in about 20 mins. If you have a problem then get back to this forum, maybe I will put together a description on how to do it thoroughly - I spent 2 hours last night very carefully doing it, because I've modded everything.

This is what to do:

1. Copy your current FE directory (probably in c:/program files/thirdwire) to the same thirdwire directory. That is right click and drag and drop in same directory. This is your backup. It will be called "copy of...WWI" or something similar. Important you do make this backup though......no need to rename, but you can if you want.

2. Run Patch2, make sure when asked where to install in the install process you specify your usual FE directory, not the copy. Start the game via the usual icon or however else you did it before.

Bob should be your uncle. :smile: No worry about exes, pointing to the right location etc etc

Cheers

Edited by peter01

Thanks Pete much appreciated. FE really does grow on you especially with all the variety of planes now available. And I would be so p****d off if my own stupidity stuffed up something ..... cheers.

BTW, had a great mission with the Pup last night where I "teamed" up with another wandering Pup after a long wheeling, milling dogfight (you know when suddenly everyone disappears and you're all alone) and together we baited a poor old eindecker while taking turns at potshots. It was a bit grizzly really like a couple of cats playing with a wounded mouse but it felt like the AI Pup knew what was going on. Anyway eventually the eindeckers right wing peeled off and down he went. It was one of those moments when I really felt I was "there" instead of just facing a computer screen. It's those kind of immersive moments that make me understand TK's vision for the game. And it can only get better so things are looking good.

Wow, my impressions of this game have really changed. I'm one of those ATI users who thought that the very small patch of rendered terrain below was the limits of the games engine. That and when i would be vertical everything would temporarily disappear, I had assumed these were game gliches. With these fixes the game suddenly feels very real.

Eddie R. I understand the game takes some getting used to. Its not RB3 or DOA at all. What seems to make the game for me is alot of the people here in the forums who have been bz making up mods and terrains and plaens and all that extra stuff.

I think with just a bit more time TK will have even more goodies for us. Look at the improvement in AI in just a month or so since last patch.... no its not perfect but wow what a giant step forward. Kudos to TK and the rest of the modders here for making this game a ton of fun.

Ya'll gotta keep reminding yourselves this game is not even 3 months old yet. We've already gotten 2 patches and beaucoup additions. Its only gonna get better. :biggrin:

I timely reminder Tailspin. Yes it is only 3 months old so it's pretty remarkable what has been done in that time. It's so good to see such a frenzy of enthusiasm from the modding community and I think most of us are in awe at how quickly things are developing. I'm sure TK finds this very satisfying that FE has been embraced so well by so many .... although it's more work for him managing it all now lol.

This is what to do:

1. Copy your current FE directory (probably in c:/program files/thirdwire) to the same thirdwire directory. That is right click and drag and drop in same directory. This is your backup. It will be called "copy of...WWI" or something similar. Important you do make this backup though......no need to rename, but you can if you want.

2. Run Patch2, make sure when asked where to install in the install process you specify your usual FE directory, not the copy. Start the game via the usual icon or however else you did it before.

Bob should be your uncle. :smile: No worry about exes, pointing to the right location etc etc

Cheers

Thanks Pete. So simple really. Appreciate your help. Okay I installed patch2 and Firecage's latest plane fest and was pleasantly surprised to be plonked into the cockpit of a N11 straight away ..... but in the air right next to my target ...... hell of a shock ! Told the CO off something terrible after landing only to find it was actually the in-game settings that had reverted to default. Apologies all round and a few face saving ales in the mess were duly ordered and before long the CO was back to his best with his Trenchard impersonations and his staggering penchant for dressing up in womens clothing. Still the boys let him have his fun knowing what his wife looks like. Poor sod.

I think I'm digressing ..... patch2 .... hmmmmm .... jury's out at the moment. Have to test more and get the le prieur rockets and other stuff working too but so far there's been no glaring problem.

Edit: except the DVa seems to have disappeared as a flyable selection ? Anyone else ?

Edited by catch

Hi Catch..

Aye mate, My Albatross DVa seems to have disappeared from the Selection as well after I applied patch too? Can anyone help with this? the folder is still there and intact

Thanks mate...

Rab ;0)

Fife

Scotland

Okay I installed patch2 and Firecage's latest plane fest and me and my poor little Bebe is gettin all shot up -- good job all! :good: