So far I haven't been able to find a detailed tutorial on this(except for mapping the thrust vectoring keys, which I have done), anyone out there got any suggestions?

BTW, it says in the WIP sticky that there is an AV-8B out? Was this a mistake?

No AV-8B, and as far as taking off in the AV-8C, just adjust the nozzles to the angle you want and add power. Then the trick is of bring you nozzles to forward flight while not loosing control. Its and art form to be sure.

The major problem for me is the correct angle when I'm just lifting off, I would think if the nozzles were pointing straight down that would do it. Maybe I'll go back to normal mode and try it that way.

The major problem for me is the correct angle when I'm just lifting off, I would think if the nozzles were pointing straight down that would do it. Maybe I'll go back to normal mode and try it that way.

the trick with any harrier is to constantly adjust your attitude and your noz position.

its easier if you have a joystick.

but i can hover for a maximum of 5 minutes using keys and no joystick.(so i can watch the rest of my squadron take off while hovering on the side of the runway)

and use the external view to observe the relation of the plane to the ground.

Although it CAN take off vertically, the Harrier is truly a STOVL plane--short t/o, vertical landing. I have the best luck starting my roll with nozzles fully aft, then when I reach 100 kts with flaps extended I rotate to 45 and LEAP off the tarmac. ;)

However, landing vertically requires coming to a stop and then hovering and that is VERY hard.

As I'm finding out, lol. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Although it CAN take off vertically, the Harrier is truly a STOVL plane--short t/o, vertical landing. I have the best luck starting my roll with nozzles fully aft, then when I reach 100 kts with flaps extended I rotate to 45 and LEAP off the tarmac. ;)

However, landing vertically requires coming to a stop and then hovering and that is VERY hard.

i agree.

its either i end up hard on my butt wrecking th LG, smashing off the ailerons and weapons i have left

or blowing up.

i dont know if the coming F-35 JSF would have the same problem.

is there any news on that AV8B?

id like to use a harrier with a better hud.

and ability to fire amraams

Guest IndioBlack
So far I haven't been able to find a detailed tutorial on this(except for mapping the thrust vectoring keys, which I have done), anyone out there got any suggestions?

BTW, it says in the WIP sticky that there is an AV-8B out? Was this a mistake?

You need a copy of Mike Shaw's book "From the cockpit: Harrier GR3" published by Ian Allan. It gives you the complete details of a Harrier mission from planning to debrief, and naturally includes the correct techniques for take-offs and landings.

I have flown the WOE-included Harrier using the methods described in the book, and it works pretty well. The techniques work even better with the AV-8B that you can download from CA, presumably because the flight model is more realistic.

The AV-8B is not out. There is a beta somewhere we released for a limited time though. There was one in the works but the guy who took over the project for someone else disappeared after having major heart surgery.

The AV-8B is not out. There is a beta somewhere we released for a limited time though. There was one in the works but the guy who took over the project for someone else disappeared after having major heart surgery.

I hope he's ok, and not just because he was working on the beta.

Are you allowed to post the beta AV8B given the circumstances?

I hope he's ok, and not just because he was working on the beta.

Are you allowed to post the beta AV8B given the circumstances?

We havent heard from him in months.

The AV-8B is in no shape for public use. Needs tons of work.

Guest IndioBlack

Then I must have meant a different add-on Harrier that is available from this site, and is rather good. What I particularly liked about it was the large Nozzle-direction gauge which helps you get the correct angles for each part of the flight procedure.

Then I must have meant a different add-on Harrier that is available from this site, and is rather good. What I particularly liked about it was the large Nozzle-direction gauge which helps you get the correct angles for each part of the flight procedure.

I haven't found the AV-8B on this site, there is an AV-8C here though.

I wonder if you mean the mod that activates the nozzle direction gauge...

--------------------------------------

no problem on not posting the av8b.

I hope he recovers safely.

USAFMTL,

I don't think the AV-8C here, has Kreelin's last update.

Kreelin did an update after SP4, in which he updated the flight model, and Kess added the HUD symbology.

MoonJumper and Deacon tested the flight model.

The update is here, but requires that it be installed ON TOP OF the AV-8C here.

http://tiana.andriam.free.fr/av8csp4udp.exe

USAFMTL,

Kreelin did an update after SP4, in which he updated the flight model, and Kess added the HUD symbology.

There is an AV-8C version 2 here I uploaded. Could these be one of the same? As kreelin sent me some files via email that were updates.

There is an AV-8C version 2 here I uploaded. Could these be one of the same? As kreelin sent me some files via email that were updates.

Are you talking this one here?

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...p;showfile=1772

If so, it's older than what you get with the update file above. It's still using avioncs60.dll, with the above update, it switches to using avioncs70.dll with a real hud. Also, I diff'ed the _data.ini's and the flight models are significantly different.

Kreelin posted this June, 24 2006.

By the way, my Pax trip went down the toliet. All flights into the area were canceled until Tuesday cause of weather, and the guys running the class said that would be missing to much time. There's another in July, so hopefully I'll get to go to it.

Edited by JSF_Aggie

Something is wrong with that update at least for me.

All i got for my data.ini entry is:

[soundList]

SoundFile001=AV8CEngine

SoundFile002=

[AV8CEngine]

Priority=NORMAL

3DSound=TRUE

DopplerEffect=TRUE

Looped=TRUE

NumBuffers=4

MaxDist=2000.00

MinDist=150.00

InsideConeAngle=300

OutsideConeAngle=360

ConeOutsideVolume=1

[]

Priority=NORMAL

3DSound=TRUE

DopplerEffect=TRUE

Looped=TRUE

NumBuffers=4

MaxDist=2000.00

MinDist=150.00

InsideConeAngle=300

OutsideConeAngle=360

ConeOutsideVolume=1

Something is wrong with that update at least for me.

All i got for my data.ini entry is:

[soundList]

SoundFile001=AV8CEngine

SoundFile002=

[AV8CEngine]

Priority=NORMAL

3DSound=TRUE

DopplerEffect=TRUE

Looped=TRUE

NumBuffers=4

MaxDist=2000.00

MinDist=150.00

InsideConeAngle=300

OutsideConeAngle=360

ConeOutsideVolume=1

[]

Priority=NORMAL

3DSound=TRUE

DopplerEffect=TRUE

Looped=TRUE

NumBuffers=4

MaxDist=2000.00

MinDist=150.00

InsideConeAngle=300

OutsideConeAngle=360

ConeOutsideVolume=1

This is actually added to the soundlist, so if you got what you got, it's because you probably installed it to another folder other than your main sim folder. You can simply take the above and add it to the soundlist folder.

What I question is why one of the entries is blank? i.e., []. Is that allowable?

Works fine this time although i had to backup some of my files as it did change the soundlist.ini among others.

USAFMTL,

Cool, Ive been wanting an update that uses the avionics70dll...thanks for the link!

Guest IndioBlack
I wonder if you mean the mod that activates the nozzle direction gauge...

No I mean the nice big gauge that shows the direction that the nozzles are pointing. The native Harrier has a tiny gauge that I find unreadable unless I zoom in. The aircraft that I downloaded has a very large gauge that is clear and easy to read.

I use a lever on the CH Quad Throttle to control the nozzles, and the gauge helps me position it accurately.