Sign in to follow this  
cgold

The REAL F-14D

The F-14's out now are just modified F-14A's. Who will actually make one? The F-14A is good and all, but the Super Tomcat is the king of all bad-ass. The A+ is the same way. :dntknw:

I know someone somewhere has a new F-14B (A+, not the B from 1973) in the works, but I have no idea how far along it is or any other data; you can check it out at C5's site in the forums; there are some pics of the 3D model.

Two of Mirage Factory main modelers are Flying Toaster and BPAO. Here:

http://www.column5.us/forum/index.php?show...=5223&st=20

you can see the AMAZING model of F-14B made by Flying Toaster. The thread started some time ago (May 2006), its seem than the 3d model is done, but an aircraft for SF requires a lot of extra work. The good news is that Column5 posted there he hopes we will see the F-14 in the first quarter of 07. Maybe a little later, but quality usually requires time! :rolleyes:

Bye!

PD:Sorry about my poor English!

Edited by Kazama

yup, all I did to put the F-14A+ and F-14D was modify the existing F-14A. Consider them temporary fillers until the real stuff comes along from the other, real modelers out there.

You can always delete them if they aren't up to your personal standards.

yup, all I did to put the F-14A+ and F-14D was modify the existing F-14A. Consider them temporary fillers until the real stuff comes along from the other, real modelers out there.

You can always delete them if they aren't up to your personal standards.

Typhiod I appreciate your effects 1692 views and 1829 downloads in just a few weeks says it all.

Typhiod I appreciate your effects 1692 views and 1829 downloads in just a few weeks says it all.

I second that!

:good: Typhiod, you have done an incredible job with your F-14's. You've gotten plenty of views, and even more downloads. I bet the F-14 is a very hard plane to make due to its swing-wing capability, and complexity as an aircraft. I have already modified the original F-14A to carry Air to Ground weaponry. It kicks ass! I was just curious to see if a real F-14A+, B or D was in the works.

:good: Typhiod, you have done an incredible job with your F-14's. You've gotten plenty of views, and even more downloads. I bet the F-14 is a very hard plane to make due to its swing-wing capability, and complexity as an aircraft. I have already modified the original F-14A to carry Air to Ground weaponry. It kicks ass! I was just curious to see if a real F-14A+, B or D was in the works.

Thanks all for the kind comments, but all I did was modify some ini files to add a little bit to the already great work that preceeded. I didn't do any of the swing wings, skins or any of that. I just repackaged a bit. about a point two percent effort. the real work was by those who built the 3d models and skins.

I added air to ground on the weapons stations, upgraded the engines and avionics to represent the added stuff. The basic airframe was not changed on the real aircraft. Amost all the changes were internal so my limited skills in this area were sufficient. It would be way cool to be able to add the IRTV tracker in the later F-14s, but how to put that into the cockpit and make it functional is a mystery to me.

I highly recommend the F-14 avionics update also posted on the download page. I've added that to the F-14A and F-14A+ on my own system. Am still waiting for the avionics70 file to support air to ground before i play with the F-14D again. I may be putting out an update to the F-14A+ file with the avionics update and the correct squadron skins for those squadrons that actually flew this variant (depending on other time committments and permission from the appropriate skinners).

Yes, there are some people working on some real cool 3d models of F-18 blocks and F-14 variants which should kock your socks off. I have an F-18C block36 variant on standby and an Su-22 which both need some tweaks before being ready for prime time.

Just curious, are there actual physical differences between the multiple variants of the F-14s? I thought they all looked the same.

The F-14A's engine nozzles compared to the B and D's are the biggest visible difference. Also, the B and D do not have the glove vanes of the A. The D has a double-chin pod housing the TCS and IRST pods, and I believe has a few extra ECM antennae around the A/C. Also, the D uses a different ejection seat. Anything I'm forgetting?

I think those are the most significant differences. I don't know of any other external changes. The big changes of course were all internal and in the weapons that could be loaded.

I think there may have been some differences in some of the pylons in order to be able to load the wider variety of weapons.

Edited by Typhoid

I think those are the most significant differences. I don't know of any other external changes. The big changes of course were all internal and in the weapons that could be loaded.

I think there may have been some differences in some of the pylons in order to be able to load the wider variety of weapons.

Has anyone thought about producing any of these variants of proposed Tomcats...?

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0132.shtml

It's make some interesting mud-moving

I have another question about the F-14... I'm sure all of us have seen it in Top Gun where Mav is going head to head with Viper, and it shows his F-14 spraying out excess fuel. I really don't know what the point to doing this is, but is it possible to implement this effect in SF/WOV/WOE? I also thought there was an over-ride for the variable wings to keep them opened or atleast keep them from completely closing so that the jet is more maneuverable at higher speeds.

The Tomcat did have a manual sweep option, allowing the pilot to override the CADC/Wing Sweep programmer; aside from the fact that this allowed the a/c to keep its wing sweep options if the computer had a problem, it also made the Tomcat less predictable in a dogfight because the other pilot didn't know the 'Cat's real energy state if he just assumed the aircraft was on automatic (though I'd assume keeping the wings at 20* going near 1M or 68* at 150 knots probably were not great ideas.)

As for fuel-dump, the pilot might do this to get the a/c's weight down for recovery aboard the carrier; as to before a dogfight, I have no idea. Modeling it? I'll leave that question for somone in the know.