Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

Somewhat disappointed

I love the original OFP/Resistance. As recent as December, I had a LAN party at my house with 8 people playing OFP together in the same room. It seems like I have been waiting forever for the sequel. So, I got tired of wating for the US release. I bought the UK release, installed it, and have played it as much as time permits (a half hour here and there). I have TrackIR 3 Pro with Vector, which works well with this sim.

However, for various reasons I am less than happy with the state of Armed Assault. First, the performance drop is too high. I find that even in a simple mission with the video settings dumbed down quite a bit, my pc struggles to maintain 30 fps. My system is by no means slow. I can play any other game I have with maxed out graphics settings and maintain 40-60 fps (capped by my LCD's refresh rate). But in armed assault, just laying down on a road with buildings, grass, and trees on either side while watching a truck approach drops my fps to 18 or less. This makes it very hard to fight in close. With the graphics set to the lowest quality possible (other than maintaining my LCD's 1600x1200x32 native resolution), FPS peaks at about 40 under lightly loaded conditions. Second, I find many of the same bugs and limitations from OFP still in AA. After all these years, I expect more than just new eye candy. A simple but annoying problem is that the game still doesn't recognize all of the buttons on my mouse. 5-button mice are far from new at this point. I should be able to map functions to the 5th button. When I play the first single mission, I have problems with the sniper rifle that I supposed to pick up becoming invisible. After I pick it up, the new waypoint never shows up anymore (it did show up originally, but stopped working). It would be nice if they had added the capacity to jump. The AI seems a little smarter and the graphics look good aside from the low frame rates, but I don't see any real improvements in gameplay or realism at this point. Hopefully, AA will get as much patch support as OFP, but I bet the problems I am seeing right now never get addressed.

I am waiting until the N.A. release.I've heard they've already released atleast 1 patch for it.I am hoping it will meet or beat OFP in the long haul.I'm waiting to see.

From what I understand, the 1.05 patch is due out this week and is supposed to fix a LOT. The changelog goes for pages.

That said, when I first got OFP it was the American release a few months after the Euro release and it had already been patched a lot. I know the Euro release was referred to as the "beta test" because of the bugs. It was eventually brought up to snuff after a short time period. I see no reason to doubt they'll do the same with ArmA.

I had the same reaction to Vietcong 2 when it was released. Barely a few improvementsw over that previous game, a lot of qualities from the original missing in the sequel. Big problems with graphical processing, frame rates etc... I feel your pain

:sorry:

It should be sorted out with the patch, I mean, it's not like its Battlefield 2...

I turned off shadows and got my fps to hover near 40. Now I am playing much better, but aside from eye candy and trackIR support, it doesn't really feel any better than OFP/Resistance.

Well, it's still brand new. I don't think OFP reached its full potential until Resistance came out, a year later.

Oh, the other thing is this isn't the "real" sequel. This is OFP 1.5 as claimed by BIS themselves I think. Whatever OFP 2 may be is still in the works.

Yeah a good friend of mine said that Game 2 isn't finished yet. I figure given the track record so far, we'll be seeing ads for Game 4 before it works out.

I do believe that game 2 will not even be by the same developers

Maybe, but my source points towards BIS, they've been messing with it for a while, so only the future can tell.

Maybe it's a different publisher that I'm thinkin of..

Right, ArmA isn't called OFP2 because Codemasters owns the name and they and BIS aren't on speaking terms.

So, "game 2" may well be called "ArmA 2" instead, but it's not the name that matters. :grin:

Yeah true, though I'm going to wait until they fix alot of crap. I got sick of the whole texture issues, that despite how much I slandered GRAW, I just reinstalled it, and actually having a little "fun" for the meantime.

According to Xfire, I played around 80 hrs of GRAW, mostly MP, so I'm content to give it a breather for now! :grin:

Being a 5 year veteran of ofp (CWC mind not that new Resistance thing lol) i was buying my copy from the czech republic on release. First opinion was it looked pretty good. Lost a lot of good features in the main game, tank battles were no longer possible as they fell apart on impact with explosives. But the main killer was the lag in multiplayer. Although the last patch has been a great improvement the mp lag is still an issue. If the game would work as it should every other game would fall by the wayside.

just my 2 cents worth

I've had no problem's with lag on Armed Assault, though I only play on dedicated ones and not ones hosted by people. That may be you're issue.