Sign in to follow this  
rotagen

First Eagles rocks! WAY better than I expected.

Alright, Today is one HAPPY day for me. You see I am a ww1 sim freak. IMO, FIRST EAGLES is the first TRUE SUCCESSOR to that rusty old (but great for its time) RB3D. Why? It's not perfect, but it concentrates on WHAT COUNTS...immersion and GAME PLAY.

OFF (over flanders fields) cfs3 mod didn't do this for me, it is clear that it is pure eye candy without the dogfighting fun, wingmen/enemy ai is terrible, too few planes in the air, etc,etc.

FS-WW1 had way too many bugs last time I tried it and I saw at most 1 other plane in the air, clunky interface, etc.

cfs2 with ww1 mods? see cfs3 above.

Other ww1 sims (I try them all of course) were either too arcadey or strictly eye candy without the good dogfighting.

NOTE: the add-on planes coming at a rapid clip are fantastic, as is the fs2004-based terrain tiles that someone uploaded on this site.

While I have only flown a few times (just got the sim today); flying in bortdafarms fokker eiii and seeing LOTS of great looking friendlies and enemies on my screen with NO drop in frame rate, gives me a HUGE grin.

I only wish there were a mission builder, and I am hoping for some really random missions in the campaigns, for once I would like to see a sim having enemies right near the airfield on takeoff......realism anyone?

Only thing this game lacks is EXPOSURE, so please get the word out!!!!

Signing off: and thanks thirdwire!

Rotagen

Only thing this game lacks is EXPOSURE, so please get the word out!!!!

Welcome to CombatAce.

welcome to Combatace,and we're glad you're enjoying your sim.I might suggest you try FS:SDOE WW1 again as they have worked hard on this sim and it's add-ons.it's really fun.

The important part of all these sims is FUN. I think some people let their quest for realism over shadow that at times.

That said, I admit I've had OFF myself since its release but I've really not done too much with it. I'm looking forward to their upcoming Phase 2 release to see how that fares.

I also love FE and should get to try it coop this weekend for the first time. :happy:

Jedi,

Well said about the FUN part. If something you're doing for recreation isn't fun, maybe it's time to reeval your definition of recreation. That's why I gave up on sims for a while...was getting to the point of being harder than work.

FastCargo

LOL, that's also why I barely fly F4 anymore. I've had the thing in various iteration from stock to RP to FF to F4:AF for 8 years and I never became really proficient at it. It could be too much like work, so I only fly it occasionally.

TK's sims require no time investment to just jump in and go, only the modding does and that's totally voluntary. It adds to the enjoyment, but it's not necessary. Except perhaps for FE, where you could argue the tiny number of flyables OOTB begs for mods.