Sign in to follow this  
Brainless

New Sims for old

An Old simmers tale

Way back some years ago when I first got hooked on flight sim I bought and still buy just about all the flight sims marketed. After a while I started weeding out the ones that were less attractive to me and I just kept what I thought was the best of them.Then, as is always the case, the computer industry moves on and when the new formats came out I found that the sims I liked best didn’t run anymore. I’m talking about things like B17 Bomber, EAW and the Jane’s series.

I didn’t know then that there were sites like this where many of these sims were being constantly updated and reformatted to run on the newer computer systems so that you could still run the older ones.

So guess my delight when last week browsing thro’ this site and others I discovered there was EAW formatted in SFP1. Yes I talking about Major Lees European terrain and I’ve only just realised this was available ages ago (well don’t forget whose leaving this message - ‘BRAINLESS’).

Anyway I downloaded all the files and then discovered that the objects were all in the old format and when I put them in the ‘Objects’ folder found nothing worked so I had to reformat them all into individual folders and re-note the files in the updated notations. All this took me nearly two days to do. I used the KMD programme to test that all the objects were working as they all now do with the exception of the Tiger2, both Sherman tanks (one format of this crashes the game ) and BlitzOpen – I think this is a German truck . I tried just about every combination of file arrangement but couldn’t get these to work. This may have been because I removed all the original SFP1 aircraft and objects that weren’t relevant to the EAW genre (I don’t need the aircraft as these are in the other files in WOV/WOE ) and I wanted a dedicated ETO.

Apart from these issues the sim runs fine. Was it worth all the trouble you might ask. Well I have to say I think its b****y marvellous! My old favourite back again and in better shape than I last remembered it. What fabulous aircraft like the Spit and hurricane and BF-109 from you guys who make these wonderful models.

I would like to take this opportunity to say a public thank you to all involved in bringing this to life for old simmers like me!

It would be nice to have a EAW campaign to run in but I can’t find one having searched the sim community for about half a day. If anyone can point me to a site for this I would be grateful. Also if anyone has a working Sherman, Tiger2 and Blitzopen and can leave a link that would be so nice.

Thanks again guys and sorry for the long blab – well you wanted messages left in the forum didn’t you!

All the best to everyone

Brainless

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I don't have any problem with the Tigers, Blintez or any of the Shermans. (other than, like you, having to redo all the inis caused by Patch3)

What's your folder structure look like?

example:

GroundObjects/TigerII/all the inis, bmps and etc (remember, the ini must match the folder name ie: TigerII.ini)

also, double check the nations in the data ini. The German stuff should say (this from the Tiger II)

[MissionData]

NationName=Nazi Germany <-- this here line

ServiceStartYear=1942

ServiceEndYear=1945

GroundObjectRole=TANK

of course the main ini, like this (note: I've labeld both Blintz truck to differentiate them)

[GroundObjectData]

ObjectFullName=Blitz Truck (Canvas Covered)

ObjectDataFile=BlitzCanvas_DATA.INI

[GroundObjectData]

ObjectFullName=Blitz Truck (Open)

ObjectDataFile=BlitzOpen_data.ini

The Shermans may say "USARMY", change that to USAF (never did find a listing for USARMY, you could also use USMC)

And don't forget to have the WW2 Nations.ini in the Flight folder

There was a lod problem on the original release of the Blintz truck, but Geo fixed that a long while back.

You'll also probably want at least 3 WW2 installs:

ETO (with EAW2 map, BoB map)

PTO (there's like 5 + maps)

MTO (well, one cheap modern Lybia conversion by me -- Western Desert and Tunsia/Med still in works)

"Is it worth the trouble" you ask --- you answered your own question -- DAMN RIGHT IT IS!!! :biggrin:

If you need any more help, gimme a shout.

Hope that helps!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

ps: yes, you can just delete all the modern jet folders...it won't effect the game in any way, shape or form

pps: you'll also find boatloads of WW2 stuff for the SF/WoV/WoE series here and at my site

I don't have any problem with the Tigers, Blintez or any of the Shermans. (other than, like you, having to redo all the inis caused by Patch3)

What's your folder structure look like?

example:

GroundObjects/TigerII/all the inis, bmps and etc (remember, the ini must match the folder name ie: TigerII.ini)

also, double check the nations in the data ini. The German stuff should say (this from the Tiger II)

[MissionData]

NationName=Nazi Germany <-- this here line

ServiceStartYear=1942

ServiceEndYear=1945

GroundObjectRole=TANK

of course the main ini, like this (note: I've labeld both Blintz truck to differentiate them)

[GroundObjectData]

ObjectFullName=Blitz Truck (Canvas Covered)

ObjectDataFile=BlitzCanvas_DATA.INI

[GroundObjectData]

ObjectFullName=Blitz Truck (Open)

ObjectDataFile=BlitzOpen_data.ini

The Shermans may say "USARMY", change that to USAF (never did find a listing for USARMY, you could also use USMC)

And don't forget to have the WW2 Nations.ini in the Flight folder

There was a lod problem on the original release of the Blintz truck, but Geo fixed that a long while back.

You'll also probably want at least 3 WW2 installs:

ETO (with EAW2 map, BoB map)

PTO (there's like 5 + maps)

MTO (well, one cheap modern Lybia conversion by me -- Western Desert and Tunsia/Med still in works)

"Is it worth the trouble" you ask --- you answered your own question -- DAMN RIGHT IT IS!!! :biggrin:

If you need any more help, gimme a shout.

Hope that helps!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

ps: yes, you can just delete all the modern jet folders...it won't effect the game in any way, shape or form

pps: you'll also find boatloads of WW2 stuff for the SF/WoV/WoE series here and at my site

Thanks mate for all the info. I found Geo's site ( I think it was his - I've been to so many I've lost track) and downloaded Ground objects 1 & 2 and now have everything except the 'Blitzopen' working. This appears as a blank object. I've tried re-notating but nothing seems to work with this one object so I've deleted it for the time being but I'll try your noting. I've also found some other sites and downloaded more aircraft and objects. Its just so overwhelming!! I've been to your site too. Marvellous!!

Virtual beer and cigars alround for those who still take the weed. I'm a pipe smoker myself which probably gives my age away but sadly limited to only one a day now!!

Thanks again and cheers

Brainless