Sign in to follow this  
Red Von Hammer

OFF Phase 2

Hey all!

Over Flanders Fields Phase 2, the ww1 mod for Combat Flight Simulator 3,

has been released just about 1 hour and a half ago!

www.overflandersfields.com

S!

RvH

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Though I failed to get Phase1 to run :blush:

Front Page news....Thanks for the heads up Red Von Hammer

Viper, Phase 2 has a lot of improvements over Phase 1, and you don't need Phase 1 to install Phase 2. So, you might want to download it again and give it another try. WARNING: Phase 2 consists of 3 files, for a total of over 2.3 gigs! So, plan for a long wait when you download it.

Thumper

Looks as thought the sites hosed. Maybe reached the Bandwidth limit?

Yeah, the servers just crashed..

No wonder, probably a couple of 10000s who clicked the download link at once.

Tell u what, I dont think it`s such a bad thing, it only proves how popular this mod has becomed! :D

And another thing. In the sim-outhouse.com OFF forum, nobody exept maybe 10 people of all those thousands which never got their off downloads. Because of the server crash, only LIGHTLY complained!

Just be patient people, problem will be fixed :)

S!

RvH

Maybe we could host them here?

news: Their ISP pulled the plug on a deal that was supposed to be unlimited bandwith...

picture: post-21120-1172981828_thumb.jpg

But just hand tight! The problem is being worked on and soon we can eat the fruits of our waiting :)

You are not the only ones :)

I don`t thinkOFF team wants to upload anywhere else then on their own sites.

Whether or not the situation is desperate for them, which I hope not. You could try to ask them :)

S!

RvH

Grrrrr... :crazy:

And I got only 30% of the release itself... :fool: :cray:

Torrent sounds excellent :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Or Filefront, maybe too?

OFF is too large and too popular to be available only at one place :blush:

When Phase 1 came out I informed filefront to put Phase 1 in it. When they did I told OFF Team, Which got pretty much angry at me and told me to tell filefront to take it away.

So no, they dont want any large commercial site to put up their mods. They want their own site to prove that nobody needs big companies to get things done.

They dont even like torrents, and before Phase 2 release torrents were totally out of the question.

But, desperate times=desperate measures, so I think torrent is a good temporary solution. But that`s it, till they get their servers back up again.

S!

RvH

Huh? What's wrong with torrents? :dntknw: That's exactly the way to save bandwidth if you have devoted community who will seed... :wink:

I know, that`s what I suggested.: 1: It will take a lot of time, so, those with best upload speed gets to download first but they have to promise to seed.

2: Torrent will be uploaded on a temporary OFF site.

Thus, the chance of the torrent getting out on all other torrent sites=Zero, just like with Phase 1 which never got out on any torrent or anything, for all the time it`s been out.

News: One dude that knows another person which has a server company or something, offered to give this guy a call and see if he cant help out.

OFF Team, or, Winding Man, said he was very interested.

Stay tuned!

S!

RvH

If the file is accessible somewhere on the web or via ftp I can move it here directly from the server with minimal problems. How big are the files we're talking about? As Fates mentioned we could possibly lend a hand ... just depends on what we're talking about and possibly what benefits CombatACE might gain from us dropping our wallets on the table. :)

Let Fates know and we'll go from there.

The files are BIG. 800Mb - release, 1Gb - skins, 500Mb - movies... and a patch under 1 meg. :blink:

Big ... but not impossible. :)

The most disappointing thing is that some people did get it before OFF was suspended... AND THEY LIKE IT! :crazy:

:sorry: :sorry:

Looks like the website is back up.

Nothing confirmed until just now, site is back up, temporarilly, at a very unstable status, the more people that download all files at once the more unstable it is.

Winding Man said he didnt hold his breath. But thus far thus good.

S!

RvH

Perhaps they should put a restriction - 1 download at a time from 1 IP. I've seen this done on a couple of other sites. Makes everyone download one file at a time and without splitting them into fragments.. it might save the day :biggrin:

Anyway, that's exactly how my flashget is set up - no splitting and only one active task.

It's a tough situation and I feel their pain.

On one hand you want users to get the file as quickly as possible and without errors so they don't have to download multiple times. Most times end-user programs will allow resuming a transfer which is good for people who have slower or unstable connections. When designing a download system you have to think of all the scenarios in which it might be used. I personally want people in and out of our pipe as quickly as possible so it's my preference to feed them the file as fast as they can take it which frees up bandwidth and resources on the machine for others. We also have some capabilities in the download management system here that allow us greater control and flexibilities with files. Keeping everyone happy is a tough job. The best you can do sometimes is plan for the worst and pray for the best. I hope the community is as proud as I am at just how much we provide and the quality in which we provide it.

I'm just glad the OFF community is back in business and congratulate the OFF team for their newest release.

Uh... Now the site is gone :blink: Luckily I managed to grab release and skins. Should be playable without movies... :dntknw:

Rats! Both installers seem to be broken... First one kicks the bucket at about 20%. Have to wait till someone raises the undead server and redownload again...

Hmm... notice this one http://www.overflandersfields.com/

I wonder when it'll be up and running..

Edited by Gr.Viper