Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Close Call

The Slavens family is a long long line of military people going back to just before the Civil War. Having said that we are very close, cousins, uncles, etc we all keep in touch a lot. Well my cousin Tina's husband was standing by his HMMMV in Iraq, an IED cooked off about 5 to 6 ft away, yes 5 to 6 ft, andhe got away with a concussion. Not even a cut, can't hear for s**t but he said but he is ok....I have buried some friends who died over there. Went to my wifes CO's funeral. But it has never hit this close to home. Do not know why I am telling you all this but needed an outlet. Hope you all understand. Jack is one hell of a soldier.

will be praying for his recovery Dave and for all our boys over there. Wish i could be with them.

He's in our prayers. We know about luck and Angels, one of the boys that grew up in our house just got back from over there. His Bradley took an RPG and was knocked out for a couple of days. The only lasting reminder is that he needs glasses now.

BTW, it does help to vent to friends after something like this.

Edited by firehawkordy

glad to hear he got out of it in one piece

I saw a piece on the news the other day, I think it was an adjunct to the Walter Reed story (which I won't go into here!), talking about how severe concussions are the most common injury over there. IEDs knock people unconscious all the time. They're taken to the medics and looked over, and most of the time just dusted off and returned to duty. However, the question was at what point is it too many times? Once or twice is no major issues, but one soldier said it was like his seventh time!

Taking blows to the head like that, even if it's just a shockwave, that often IS dangerous.

so glad to hear he is ok. god was with him that day. its a shame that so many good men and women have to die for such a confused cause. of course those men and women never questioned why they just do the jobs they were trained to do. as a veteran of desert shield and storm i salute them.

The only choice they can make is whether to put on that uniform. Once they do, their fate is no longer theirs to make, and they must put their trust in their leaders and their training.

It saddens me when one or the other lets them down, although I think it's obviously one more than the other.