anyone thinking about some sub hunting missions

anyone thinking about some sub hunting missions

While there is an "anti-sub" mission type and load out category available (for scripted missions only), there are only two submerged sub models available. I have not had the time to create more, nor has there been the prerequisite interest in that type of scenario.

Who can tell. If USAFMTL and I ever get the time to work on and complete the G.I.UK Gap terrain map and campaigns, we would certainly need to add additional "submerged" Soviet sub types to add to the action.

While there is an "anti-sub" mission type and load out category available (for scripted missions only), there are only two submerged sub models available. I have not had the time to create more, nor has there been the prerequisite interest in that type of scenario.

Who can tell. If USAFMTL and I ever get the time to work on and complete the G.I.UK Gap terrain map and campaigns, we would certainly need to add additional "submerged" Soviet sub types to add to the action.

2 submerged subs? I saw one, and it doesn't seem to work for some reason.

Having hunted a sub or two in the past I was looking forward to some "drops" but can only run on surfaced subs.

Unless we are talking about a crippled diesel or nuke powered boat showing a snorkel or such or better, the mission / campain modder will be in some untested waters. If we are hunting a submerged boat we will need to use MAD, active and passive sonobouys, or helicopter dipping sonar. Unless alot of ASW stuff has been declassified in the last 30 years, some folks in this group or your ex "Tube Rat" buddy at the ole watering hole will risk violating the security act for sharing his wonderfull knowledge of the complexities of sound paths in the Ocean and the limits and bitchin abilities of the threats, weapon platforms and sensors. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the day that airborne ASW went beyond visual and radar sensors was during the career of P2Vs, S2Fs, and notable equivilants from other nations or groups. I do like the idea of a mission where bomb or rocket carrying AC are guided by a dedicated ASW Platform (he could be out of weaps and damaged the boat making it "louder") or an ASWOC on a ship that does have hot contact with the sub. In the 60s thru 80s thier was still alot of diesel boats operating that where a real threat and they might be recharging thier batteries at night by snorkel or even surfaced. In our sim we already have the sensors and weaps for that threat. Good luck and Bravo Zulu to whoever takes this on. I'm looking forward to flying some SPADS out of Sigonella Italy at night and shredding some foxtrot, juliet, and whiskey boats. V/R, CL

Edited by charlielima

Guest Saganuay82

Well what you are talking about is a game called "Dangerous Waters" What I was doing there was out flying visually hunting for an object until I found it and then killed it. There are no ASW sensors modeled in this game nor I believe we will ever see any. Ya want ASW , go to that game (players in general) they have it all. Passive / active sonobouys, HMS, TAS, dipping sonar and all the like and they do it very well. I have it, played it some but it's too much like the job I do on the ship :) Well exactly the same.

AAArgh!...Just SO! For the best 4 years of my life I was woke up, had to put on a sage green zoom bag, get chow, show up at ready room 7, get briefed, and either change into my wetsuit or throw on an SV-2, Either way I'd also have a SPH brain bucket heineously decorated with an obscene amount of reflective tape. Go to spot 3, strap an SH-3H on my back (one of the back seats) I can still hear things that I'm not suppose to hear, but amazingly they are actully there. I believe us as a group with this sim is turn on WOV / SF, mentaly throw on an orange or tan zoom bag, Gold brainbucket, yellow May West. .38 caliber pistol in shoulder holster, those bitchin tan suede flight boots / boondockers that I can't get find at the surplus store anymore. Our Air Force Bro's probably have an equivilant but I think they always had shinable black footware. If I play ASW, it will be with this sim, 20 mike mike, CBUs or rockeyes, and MK-82s. OOH Doggies! CL

Guest Saganuay82

LOL, dude, you should write some stories with screen shots. Your pretty good. Ill see if I can find that screenshot of the depth charge moments before impact.

I was using these on the CP140 prior to getting the MK46 modeled.

And there we are. Oh BTW, don't drop these things low, holy BANG!!!

GCS0117.jpg

Well Doggies,

I stand corrected, More weaps the better. I'll take a couple of those and I could load them with the usual Naval Weapons Station of goodies that a SPAD could drag around the skies almost indefinatly. Marine Corps SBDs where tasked with land based ASW missions from remote and even strategic islands in WW2. Spads were assigned to the Wasp and Hornet. both ASW carriers. Capun just released a Stoof!, HMMMMM! CL

Edited by charlielima

Unless we are talking about a crippled diesel or nuke powered boat showing a snorkel or such or better, the mission / campain modder will be in some untested waters. If we are hunting a submerged boat we will need to use MAD, active and passive sonobouys, or helicopter dipping sonar. Unless alot of ASW stuff has been declassified in the last 30 years, some folks in this group or your ex "Tube Rat" buddy at the ole watering hole will risk violating the security act for sharing his wonderfull knowledge of the complexities of sound paths in the Ocean and the limits and bitchin abilities of the threats, weapon platforms and sensors. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the day that airborne ASW went beyond visual and radar sensors was during the career of P2Vs, S2Fs, and notable equivilants from other nations or groups. I do like the idea of a mission where bomb or rocket carrying AC are guided by a dedicated ASW Platform (he could be out of weaps and damaged the boat making it "louder") or an ASWOC on a ship that does have hot contact with the sub. In the 60s thru 80s thier was still alot of diesel boats operating that where a real threat and they might be recharging thier batteries at night by snorkel or even surfaced. In our sim we already have the sensors and weaps for that threat. Good luck and Bravo Zulu to whoever takes this on. I'm looking forward to flying some SPADS out of Sigonella Italy at night and shredding some foxtrot, juliet, and whiskey boats. V/R, CL

your comments are all fair and good. My shot above was of a Soviet who was apparently trying to get an ESM cut from his exposed mast. He got a lot of attention.

sub guys just can't resist putting the 'scope up for a look though even with all their modern stuff and thats' when the old Mark I eyeball and radar flooding catches them.

Putting ASW in this would be very limited. catching scopes up would be sufficient, I think.

CL,

I did the same thing for 10 yrs, but with the SH-60F Seahawk. Only fun if you are actually chasing and "dipping" on something.

No reply from Darrin? Is he a provacateur, or trying to flush out the AWs and Flying ATs at this site?

If no mission makers want to bite at my scenario for a USN / USMC attack bird helping out an ASW platform out of weaps finish off a sub, then how about Typhoids' Hummers are tasked with persecuting the most heineous crime against God, Navy, and the Sea. Find those 2 empty shlitz tallboys that the first crewman and swimmer of speargun 612 tossed out the cargo door. :ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

Guest Saganuay82

So you want a mission where the SBD with guns and bombs attacks a submarine at periscope depth? And you want this in what terrain?

Thanks. We can / are doing that at CFS2 and PF. If my posts count as a request for a mission I'd like something like my post #5 above during the boxstock WOV time period. But we need more sub models, including a surfaced juliet or echo taking an SSM shot. My only snivel on this site for anything SBD related is @ http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=10645 . But that is for a skin for PF. :ph34r: V/R, CL

Guest Saganuay82

Sorry little confused now. You want a 1970's technology SSM shooter being hunted by a WW2 Navy plane?

How about...

A surfaced Kilo? http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...p;showfile=3536

Or a periscope? November actually http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...p;showfile=1684

There is this pile...http://marcfighters.combatace.com/submarines.htm

Maybe hunt it / them with a Viking? http://www.column5.us/aircraft5.shtml A Seahawk http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...p;showfile=2635 or a P3 http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...p;showfile=2415

Sorry Group. I'm making a mess here. Hey SAG, Don't let go of your dream of Canadian world domination. VR /CL

Guest Saganuay82

Well, just make up your mind and I can make a mission.

1. Right now, unless someone makes it, the sub won't fire a SSM.

2. You make up your mind on what target and what aircraft and what terrain and it doesn't take long to make these things up.

I have made up my mind but, after a little research, I think that until someone mods us up a really bitchin Foxtrot class boat, I say hold. With the Foxtrot our group can get maximum gain and there is gobs of material on the net. It was built and served during our WOV time period. Was involved in the cuban missile crisis. Does spend time on the surface to charge batterys, and it was exported. There are a few "Parked" as museum pieces in the US. And they are handsome boats. Good pics @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_641_Submarine and http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB75/ .

I sincerly believe that with this boat most of us will have a believable scenario and a respectable target. A Juliett or Echo 2 would be more of a threat to the carrier battle group but the Fox was everywhere. If someone does mod this boat PLEASE DONT PUT A RED STAR ON THE SAIL. :ph34r: V/R, CL

Edited by charlielima