Sign in to follow this  
FOTF

Arcade games

before I was wrapping my hand around a flight stick, I was standing in front of a Defender machine jamming quarters in it as fast as I could.

How about you? What was your favorite arcade game?

My favorite "golden age" game is probably also Defender. The one I played most was After Burner II.

Lets see: Time Pilot, Galaxia, Defender, Red Baron, Star Trek, Star Wars, Spy Hunter (with help, in wheelchair), Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Rampage, Pacman, Ms. Pacman, Astroiods, Space Invaders

My mother allowed me to spend 50 bucks on quarters because it was good hand/eye PT for me :) She didn't realized that she created a computer geek :P

Falcon

The Original SEGA Star Wars - you got to sit in that cockpit simulator thing!

The original Battle Zone...with Missile Command a close second...those were my first and most fun...

Then, when I got a LITTLE older, the first Star Wars game (you know, the one with the Tie Fighters, Gun Towers, then the Trench Run...).

Awesome dude! :)

FastCargo

Before the days of National Drug Store Chains like CVS and Walgreens, many small towns had local Pharmacies where the pharmacist was as well known as the local meat cutter. I past by one of the local drug stores while walking home from school every day. He bought a Defender Arcade and I was hooked. I don't think I bought school lunch for a year so I could play that game on my way home every day after school

Later came more favorites like Galaga, and BattleZone.....but Defender will always be THAT game.

Fates

Afterburner, Star Trek (welcome aboard, Captain!), and Star Wars (Red 5, standing by!) were the trio that took 90% of my time.

That said, I never spent too much time on them. We had a 2600 and later an Atari 800 that I played most games on.

The Original SEGA Star Wars - you got to sit in that cockpit simulator thing!

Are you talking about this one?

sStar_Wars.jpg

Are you talking about this one?

sStar_Wars.jpg

Yes thats it - says ATARI on the side - knew it was something like that!

Loved the 3D line graphics and as soon as u put money in it said "Red 5 standing by" - those were the days!

Before the days of National Drug Store Chains like CVS and Walgreens, many small towns had local Pharmacies where the pharmacist was as well known as the local meat cutter. I past by one of the local drug stores while walking home from school every day. He bought a Defender Arcade and I was hooked. I don't think I bought school lunch for a year so I could play that game on my way home every day after school

Later came more favorites like Galaga, and BattleZone.....but Defender will always be THAT game.

Fates

Did Defender have the Smart bomb that just cleared the screen of all the bad guys?

Yeah....the smart bombs cleared the screen...you also had a hyperspace button that would warp you to another part on the screen.

Pong. The bar at the local bowling alley had a few game "tables" with Pong...later Space Invaders and PacMan...and yes, I was old enough to be in there. :wink: Then of course, I had the home version of Pong, too.

Used to hate warping to hyperspace and finding myself in worse trouble then when I hit the hypersapce button to begin with.

Smartbombs were available as well....

When I was a kid there was a game called "Tapper" at the beachfront arcade. You had to catch mugs of beer as they slid down the bar, before they hit the floor. Seems oddly inappropriate for kids nowadays, but I can remember a bunch of ten year olds lined up to get their chance to catch a beer.

before I was wrapping my hand around a flight stick, I was standing in front of a Defender machine jamming quarters in it as fast as I could.

How about you? What was your favorite arcade game?

Lunar Lander, Such a simple game but i played that game every chance i got. I also loved Sinistar (Beware, I Live) and Gun Fighter. When i was about 12 we got a Dracula Pinball Machine and i wore that poor thing out. Ah the good old days!

That beachside arcade now has a "classic" room in which they have a bunch of refurbished arcade games (pac man, donky kong, centipede, aseroids, etc.). It's funny because on a summer night the rugualr arcade is filled with kids, but the classic room is a bunch of old folks yelling, "Hey remember this one".

Lunar Lander, Such a simple game but i played that game every chance i got. I also loved Sinistar (Beware, I Live) and Gun Fighter. When i was about 12 we got a Dracula Pinball Machine and i wore that poor thing out. Ah the good old days!

Holy C**p i forgot about Lunar Lander that game was so cool!

When I was a kid there was a game called "Tapper" at the beachfront arcade. You had to catch mugs of beer as they slid down the bar, before they hit the floor. Seems oddly inappropriate for kids nowadays, but I can remember a bunch of ten year olds lined up to get their chance to catch a beer.

They actually had several different versions of "Tapper"...."Rootbeer Tapper" is the most common one....There was another version that actually had Budweiser logos on the walls and stuff

What was that other one, Choplifter? Had to land inside the POW camps and get all the guys on board and race off again? :grin:

Gee, you guys reminded me of when I was in the Navy. We had Galaga and Pacman in the crew lounge. The money put in them went into the crew recreation fund. I guess I paid for a LOT of parties...

My faverite game was probably TRON, loved the light cycles and the MCP. That one was at the Armed Services YMCA in downtown San Diego. We're talkin very late 70's, early 80's here. :smile:

My faverite game was probably TRON, loved the light cycles and the MCP. That one was at the Armed Services YMCA in downtown San Diego. We're talkin very late 70's, early 80's here. smile.gif

Oh man...I put some coins in that one.

Gee, you guys reminded me of when I was in the Navy. We had Galaga and Pacman in the crew lounge. The money put in them went into the crew recreation fund. I guess I paid for a LOT of parties...

Someone sent me an Excel spreadsheet file at work yesterday - opened it up and it had the original Pacman game embedded in it as a Flash object. works just like I remember - this ones free though :biggrin:

Asteroids and Missile Command were the first machines that really started sucking quarters out of my pocket. I miss the old arcades, I think that's why I started buying and restoring arcade machines a few years ago. It's cool going out to the garage and firing up the same machines I used to play on my lunch break... =)