Sign in to follow this  
Southside Bucky

Wingmen won't shoot?

Hi guys.

I'm testing a new historical mission before I upload it.

It seems though, that nothing I do can persuade my wingmen to shoot, drop bombs or generally participate in any way useful... Except perhaps to act as targets!

Is there anything I can do about this, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Bucky.

Guest Saganuay82

Do you have an initial point set prior to the target? That I find kinda turns their warfighting on.

Thanks for the mega-quick reply Saganuay82.

Not sure I'm with you though...I'm using the KMD mission builder and I've allocated an airfield as a target which my wingmen all follow me to.

Do you mean I should set a previous waypoint before setting off for the target?

Thanks again for your help.

Bucky.

Guest Saganuay82

Yes, you should have a :

TAKE OFF

DEPART

WAYPOINTS as many as req

INITIAL POINT<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Tells them to turn their warfighting on

OBJECTIVE POINT<<<<<<<<<<<<<Kill your target

WAYPOINTS

APPROACH<<<<<<<<<<< Break formation and get ready to LINEUP

LAND LINEUP<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Line up for landing

LAND TOUCHDOWN

I think the max number of all points is 16.

If you dont have an INITIAL , OBJECTIVE and ALT N - your game will lock up. If you are past those and ALT N and dont have an APPROACH or LAND LINEUP it will lock up.

While in flight, are you using the "Engage air" and "Engage ground" commands?

While in flight, are you using the "Engage air" and "Engage ground" commands?

I've noticed too that you have to get reasonably close to enemy aircraft for them to take the bait and attack. For example, my Tomcat wingmen rarely engage with long range AAMs more 40-50 kms from target (sorry you imperial measurement users, but really, you should embrace metric and joint the 21st century!).

Or worse still, they'll scream up to target, cross the threshold where it's slightly too close for IRMs, but too far for guns and just sort of... sit there. There's nothing quite as disturbing as seeing a wing of Su-27s or F-23s get mowed down by the tailgunner of a badger... breaks my heart :sorry:

I use metric for small measurements just fine, but over a meter those numbers mean nothing to me. I know how long it will take me to drive 15 miles in traffic here, but I have no clue how long it would take to go 15km! Ditto weights in kg or liquids in liters. I'm forced to do a rough conversion in my head to have any hope of grasping the numbers!

The worst one in metric is time. I just can't figure out that 10 mins/hr, 10 hrs/day thing! :wink:

Yeah, same here JM...I'm having real trouble with converting the metric waypoint system the KMD mission builder uses. I have to keep on setting an altitude for the planes, then run the game to see what height I'm at in feet.

But then again, I am almost innumerate!

Anyway, Thanks for your help guys. I'll have another go at it.

All the best.

Bucky.

Guest Saganuay82

Altitude is almost 3 times the meters. 500 Meters is 1500 ft about.

Yeah, same here JM...I'm having real trouble with converting the metric waypoint system the KMD mission builder uses. I have to keep on setting an altitude for the planes, then run the game to see what height I'm at in feet.

But then again, I am almost innumerate!

Anyway, Thanks for your help guys. I'll have another go at it.

All the best.

Bucky.

I've been using the "Le Missioneur" mission editor from Check6. I find it's a bit more user friendly and you have the option of using a variety of measurement systems.

I've built a couple of missions for First Eagles. If you attack the target without giving the "Engage ground" order, you'll be on your own: the wingmen will fly right over it, but without dropping their bombs. Give the order, though, and they'll do their stuff.

Thanks to you all for the help and info.

Especially you Tank03...I went straight over to Check Six and downloaded Le Missioneur. You're right, it is more user friendly, and the metric to imperial converter is an absolute godsend to me!

Yet to get to grips with it entirely though...My first attempt at a mission ended with a CTD.

One last request: Does anyone know if there's a tutorial available for Le Missioneur, in English?

Thanks again fella's

Bucky

As far as I know there isn't a tutorial available. I started by editing stock missions and figured out the little tips and techniques by trial and error.

Ok, thanks anyway Tank03.

Actually, Dhasdell's excellent advice about the 'Engage Target' option was a bit of a revelation to me as well...I thought that facility was for multiplayer only. Doh!

I just tried it out and it works!

Edited by Southside Bucky

Ok, thanks anyway Tank03.

Actually, Dhasdell's excellent advice about the 'Engage Target' option was a bit of a revelation to me as well...I thought that facility was for multiplayer only. Doh!

I just tried it out and it works!

I've used the "engage ground/engage air" command with the chat dialogue before. Unfortunately, in a big mission you can't always talk to other elements and I've found some flights that followed the waypoints but completely ignored their objectives. Still haven't figured it all out yet, but that's half the fun. Good luck with your missions.

If you are talking about the Tab (Comms) function thats actually a substitute for "hand signals" for your flight. They do tend to follow your commands if they can "see" you. :wink: