i edited the mustang so that i could fly it along with modern jets and enabled it to carry Heat seekers only since it got no radar.

i could only fly this classic beauty after going to the load out menu and change airplane type.

but my game crashes when i select the mustang at the single mission menu.

hmmmm?

any help would be gratefully thanked...

i edited the mustang so that i could fly it along with modern jets and enabled it to carry Heat seekers only since it got no radar.

i could only fly this classic beauty after going to the load out menu and change airplane type.

but my game crashes when i select the mustang at the single mission menu.

hmmmm?

any help would be gratefully thanked...

Well if you are sure the Mustang.ini file is set to look at the correct files then - just a hunch having not downloaded it - but is its NationName set to USAAF?

If it is then change to USAF or put USAAF into the Nations.ini

Somebody needs to take this boy out to the back alley and give him an understanding......what's next??? A P-38 with a ramjet under it's belly???? :rofl:

Did you get any error messages after the crash, or did it just THUD to the desktop???

Nation name shouldn't matter, it stays USAF for the most part.

On a side note, what I did for my WW2 install, is changed the displayed name for USAF to "United States Army Air Force". That keeps the nation type the same at USAF (easier on the wepons pak - no editing of weapons is required) ie:

[Nation002]

Name=USAF

DisplayName=United States Army Air Force

Alignment=FRIENDLY

PlayerFlyable=TRUE

However, anything AFTER 1947, is gonna be USAF. Unless it belongs to somebody else (Isreal, Switzerland, Guatemala, etc)

I'd suggest checking the max weight for the HVAR stations, and using them for you impossible heater loadout. Leave the main inboard stations alone, as you'll need them for the drop tanks. Cross check the Sidewinder weight against the HVAR weight. (you'll find a big difference)

Wrench

Kevin Stein

Somebody needs to take this boy out to the back alley and give him an understanding......what's next??? A P-38 with a ramjet under it's belly???? :rofl:

Did you get any error messages after the crash, or did it just THUD to the desktop???

Nation name shouldn't matter, it stays USAF for the most part.

On a side note, what I did for my WW2 install, is changed the displayed name for USAF to "United States Army Air Force". That keeps the nation type the same at USAF (easier on the wepons pak - no editing of weapons is required) ie:

[Nation002]

Name=USAF

DisplayName=United States Army Air Force

Alignment=FRIENDLY

PlayerFlyable=TRUE

However, anything AFTER 1947, is gonna be USAF. Unless it belongs to somebody else (Isreal, Switzerland, Guatemala, etc)

I'd suggest checking the max weight for the HVAR stations, and using them for you impossible heater loadout. Leave the main inboard stations alone, as you'll need them for the drop tanks. Cross check the Sidewinder weight against the HVAR weight. (you'll find a big difference)

Wrench

Kevin Stein

okay...

will do the editing..

i adjusted the maxloadoutweight so that it only carries irm missiles.

even the earliest aim-9 missile was very effective on every early russian jet.

imagine a prop fighter engaging an su-22 or a mig 23.

if it were not for those pesky sam sites.

question, is there any way that i could adjust the guns so

that the bullets go parallel instead of

crossing at a certain distance?

can a heetseeker acquire a mustang?

Oh yeah? Pick up a history book and re read the chapter about air combat in Vietnam and get back with me.

OK students, school is in session...sit down, shut up and listen.... :rtfm:

No, I have to repeat Dave's suggestion above. On the average, 30% is/was considered good. I've been a mile and half to two miles, dead astern, of a NON MANUVERING aircraft, and had 9B go right over his head - with perfect tone.

imagine a prop fighter engaging an su-22 or a mig 23

The terms "dog meat", "dead meat" and "toast" come to mind right off. Plus a few choice other I won't use on a family site.

if it were not for those pesky sam sites.

Instructions for dealing with SAMs in a non RWR aircraft:

place head between legs, and kiss a$$ goodbye

Again, some research on your part is called for ... toward the end of 44/early 45, Mustangs and Lightnings were equiped with a rear warning radar reciever, similiar to the 'Boozer' used on RAF Mosquitos. It gave incidation via flashing lights that someone was closing on their tail. Not an RWR in the modern sense, more like a proximity warning. We can't actually simulate that, but creating an audio RWR is no problem.

question, is there any way that i could adjust the guns so that the bullets go parallel instead of crossing at a certain distance?

It's called boresighting ... and {sigh} the lack of research shows again... ww2 aircraft had their guns set to cross at a certain distance. In fact (and a little research will prove this out), many aircraft had each PAIR of guns boresighted to differing distances. ie: for instance, 400 yards for outboards, 300 yards for center, 200 yards for inner.

But to answer the question, it's called "AimAngles", and yes they are adjustable.

can a heetseeker acquire a mustang?

Not really; not enough heat signature from piston engines...even a 9L or possibly 9X would have difficulty. Trust me, I've already been there and done that!

If you want missiles, stay with the jets. Leave the WW2 stuff as it is ... they're damn near perfect for what their mission is.

{Angry Rant mode, ON}

@$%&* ()%{_@_%$@!(_) }{ -- I edited myself before typing. I was gonna loose it, and instead took a deep breath and didn't.

{Angry Rant mode, OFF}

My first, and foremost, MOST IMPORTANT statement here is: get out of the cockpit, and look the stuff up. There's hundreds of thousands of pages on the Web with the historical background you seek. Even the King of What If... (meself) draws the line occasionally.

Wrench

Kevin Stein

What's really funny is, I'm actually thinking of taking a P-38J, and adding the Vark's "dump & burn" effect to it....just for s*&ts and grins!!

Let's see Lou Gossett do better than me!!!! :haha:

Wrench

kevin stein

OK students, school is in session...sit down, shut up and listen.... :rtfm:

imagine a prop fighter engaging an su-22 or a mig 23

The terms "dog meat", "dead meat" and "toast" come to mind right off. Plus a few choice other I won't use on a family site.

Again, some research on your part is called for ... toward the end of 44/early 45, Mustangs and Lightnings were equiped with a rear warning radar reciever, similiar to the 'Boozer' used on RAF Mosquitos. It gave incidation via flashing lights that someone was closing on their tail. Not an RWR in the modern sense, more like a proximity warning. We can't actually simulate that, but creating an audio RWR is no problem.

It's called boresighting ... and {sigh} the lack of research shows again... ww2 aircraft had their guns set to cross at a certain distance. In fact (and a little research will prove this out), many aircraft had each PAIR of guns boresighted to differing distances. ie: for instance, 400 yards for outboards, 300 yards for center, 200 yards for inner.

Wrench

Kevin Stein

Well, there was an incident in which a Taiwan F-47N engaged a pair of Mig 15s in the '50s... The reference book noted that this was one instance of the Thunderbolt being more manueverable than it's adversary. The dogfight ended up a draw, with all going home. There was also an incident in Viet Nam in which a Spad took on a pair of Migs... The Spad made a couple of turns and the four 20mm's made quick work of one Mig... I believe he also damaged the other Mig...

The P-47N also had the early RWR, as well as an actual autopilot...

As for gun angles, more aggressive pilots tended to set convergance to one range, typically 250 yards... Don't be 250 yards in front of eight fifties on a P-47... You will come out of the sky the quick way...

Turning with a prop WWII fighter against Mig 15s and 17s is a good way to rack up lots of low altitude kills in SF... I needn't mention my weapon of choice here :wink:

Edited by Major Lee

Major Lee,

That brings to mind a story that was told to me by a friend who was into Kendo.

"A young Samurai was walking along a wooded path outside his village, when he encountered an old peasant, who was apparently so frail, that he was hobbling along with the aid of a bamboo staff. As the samurai approached, the old man failed to yield to him. The samurai became so incensed at the old man's seeming lack of respect, that he drew his katana, intending to put the foolish old timer in his place.

Much to his surprise, the old man reacted with lighting-like reflexes, and easily deflected the samurai's sword with his bamboo staff. The young samurai decided to kill the old man, but found his each and every swing being expertly countered. Finally, the old man managed to disarm the samurai, and knocked him to the ground.

The samurai realized that he had been disgraced, and asked the old man to finish him. Instead, the old man extended his hand to help the samurai get up. As he did so, the sleeve of his "peasant's tunic" rode up his arm, revealing a samurai's suit of armor beneath it.

It turned out that the old man was himself a great samurai, one who delighted in teaching a lesson to impudent young men."

I was actually thinking more of 'stand off' ranges...that Flogger's gonna put an R-40 right up the wazzoo before you even know he's there!!! Turning duel, I'll take the 'stang! (or any of them!)

I'd forgotten the Jug's had them too.

Don't forget the SPAD that got the Mig-17 with A-G rocket!!!

Reminds me of an old Martin Caiden sci-fi story; the greatest fighter pilot that ever lived died, and goes to Hell. The Devil challenges him to 3 dogfights; if he wins, he gets to return to Earth, and live in any time of his choosing.

One of the fights he takes an I-16 agianst the Devil's(something fast and cool). Thrashes him totally! And so on for the other encounters. Which he wins, hands down. The Devil makes good on his bargin, and returns him to earth in the later 21st Century, where he fly aero-space fighters (endo-exo atmospheric) against invading aliens. That just happen to have horns and a pointed tail!! :wink:

Wrench

Kevin Stein

An FAA Hawker Sea Fury is credited with MiG 15 kill during the Korean War - so dont underestimate old timers - think thats what this thread is getting at?

had some fun few days back.

In the middle of a dogfight between f16's and mig 29's an entire ww 2 group showed up (the polish plane).

Dropping like flies fits really well in that situation.

Oh yeah you should never count the old timers out on A2A combat. But adding missile to a P-51 is where I draw the line.

Man I would use that too

THIS is the P-51 I would use in a dogfight...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_PA-48_Enforcer

The Enforcer...I like that name!

FastCargo

WOW!!!!

now that would be and should be named Super Mustang!

one could remod and reskin an old mustang , to become a pa-48.

are those hingtip fuel tanks or radarjammer equipment?

it could be easily modded up by me(or any modder for sure.) except for the wingtip tanks.

WOW!!!!

now that would be and should be named Super Mustang!

one could remod and reskin an old mustang , to become a pa-48.

are those hingtip fuel tanks or radarjammer equipment?

it could be easily modded up by me(or any modder for sure.) except for the wingtip tanks.

http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/p...48_enforcer.htm <--must see

New 3D model required because the Enforcer is quite heavily modified. Probably only 5 % similar to a F-51D. Other than the fuel tanks you need new pylons, remove the guns and scoops, new lycoming nose, new tail, lenghtened fuselage..new 70's era cockpit.etc

http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/p...48_enforcer.htm <--must see

New 3D model required because the Enforcer is quite heavily modified. Probably only 5 % similar to a F-51D. Other than the fuel tanks you need new pylons, remove the guns and scoops, new lycoming nose, new tail, lenghtened fuselage..new 70's era cockpit.etc

mmhmmm...

i see...

i hope some one give this mustang rebirth a nice fighting chance in woe.

The guns on the P-51 already converge between 300 and 350 yards or slightly more than .1 nautical mile.

I set them that way when I built the plane but if you want the convergance to be something different change the following...

Left Outboard Gun

[LeftGun1]

SystemType=FIXED_GUN

GunTypeName=50CAL_M2

InputName=FIRE_PRIMARY_GUN

MuzzlePosition=-2.46,0.785,-0.514

LightPosition=-2.46,0.785,-0.514

AimAngles=0.5,0.0,0.0<<<<< this indicates that this gun is angled towards the right .5 degrees

MaxAmmo=270

EjectShells=TRUE

EjectPosition= -2.46,-0.250,-0.675

EjectVelocity= 0.0,0.0,-2.0

MinExtentPosition=

MaxExtentPosition=

The right side guns have a negative number on the AimAngle to indicate that the gun is angled to the left.

Increase this number to bring the convergance in closer.

As far as SAM's go, just stay down in the weeds, SAM's won't track or guide below a certain altitude.

Also, any SAM operator stupid enough to give himself away to an armed target he has no hope of hitting deserves the several hundred rounds of .50cal ammo I'm gonna give him.

WOLF

Edited by WOLF257

As far as SAM's go, just stay down in the weeds, SAM's won't track or guide below a certain altitude.

Also, any SAM operator stupid enough to give himself away to an armed target he has no hope of hitting deserves the several hundred rounds of .50cal ammo I'm gonna give him.

WOLF

yes, done it!

its all better now when strafing or finishing up a MiG

17, or an su-7