Sign in to follow this  
Tailspin

Favorite Kites....

Ok folks. Since there seems to be a lull in new developements with First Eagles lately, lets do a little survey. What aircraft do you all like to fly most? I try to get some action in all of them but there are a few that I always seem to go to when I want to do some "serious" flying. :wink: Feel free to list as many as you like and they don't have to be in order of preference. Comments on why you like them are welcome too. :biggrin:

In no particular order:

1. Nieuport 11. So much better than the early German birds its not funny, yet still challenging due to the limited firepower of the single Lewis gun. You have to fly the plane and be patient or your ammo won't last. GREAT MODEL in every way!

2. SPAD XIII. Fast and powerful. Two guns. The SPAD was my original favorite plane in FE and it still is in the top three.

3. Nieuport 27. Yeah, the wing fabric ripped in a steep dive. No worse than the Albatross D series breaking wings though. Anyway in FE the N 27 is a force to be reconed with. ANOTHER GREAT MODEL in every way!

4 Sopwith Triplane. Another "World beater". Whats not to like? :wink:

Sorry, don't mean to slight the German planes, I just don't fly them much. :biggrin:

Jump right in folks. Lets hear your faves.....

Hi Tailspin.. With the exception of the Nieuport 11 (great plane!), I fly Borts stuff, they're fun, and challenging..My fave is his Avro 504C...don't care much for the twin gun stuff, just seems too easy. But will fly one when I'm in a veg-o-matic kind of mood! Really like the early stuff, the later models just seem to be to easy to fly......mountain-man

Bort's machines are my favorites, the early stuff is more of a challenge and fun to fly.

Once you "learn the machine" going up against Nieuports in a FokkerD or Halberstadt

is great fun. The DH2 and Nieuport11 as well, more early one's that I like very much.

I like the Pfalz DIII, and the SE5a. The SE is just such a nice airplane and its long time of service is impressive. Plus it has the speed even late in the war to run away. The combo of a vickers and a lewis gun is fun for some reason. Not an overly glamorous ride and not a beauty like I think the Albatross and both triplanes are, but a good solid friend for a pilot.

The Pfalz also is just a nice plane to fly and I've done pretty well in it. Kind of has an identity to go with it being largely a Bavarian machine.

The Nieuports are also fun. They are just so great for when you want to dance around the sky and really mix it up!

The triplanes are exciting as well. Using they;re phenomenal climb i seem to get a lot of shots diving directly down on my opponents where I have a perfect top down profile view and shot- that's a lot of target to shoot at.

I haven't even go into flying a lot of the planes I've downloaded yet, so I'm not sure my preferences will remain the same. But I'm really enjoying these WW1 kites. I'm looking forward to giving some of the pushers a go too. Just so many fascinating aeroplanes and so little time!

:clapping:

Unfortunately, some of my favourite planes can't really be flown on hard setting, which is essential to really assess a planes ability and potential. Like the Pup, and Camel for example.

If pushed, I'd have to say the SE5a is my favourite, but I'd much prefer a simple ring and bead sight rather than the Aldis, which although nicely modelled, tends to just get in the way!

Being Gung Ho patriotic, (I just can't help it!) I never really fly jerry planes...except maybe against the French! :biggrin:

Bucky.

Ok folks. Since there seems to be a lull in new developements with First Eagles lately....

Early war flyers should be having a bit of fun in the next few days.......

:biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

:biggrin: With the numbers of releases so far a few days seems like a lull. :wink:

There is only one 'good' plane and that is the Jasta 18 Fokker D7F. My sympathy for those of you who fly inferior aircraft. I have 'hardened' it (and all Allied opponents) by increasing the wood thickness, but it is essentially a patch 2 stock with some minor paint changes. Feel free to check it out on multiplay - all except mrcraig and his N28 (too damn good).

It has to be the DH2 for me. I'm a sucker for the under-powered and under-gunned early war birds.

LloydNB

Ive got to agree with Lloyd, I like the DH2. Its a lot of fun and a challenge against better German birds, espesially with the limited ammo it carries. Its a trick to reload while your trying to keep an opponent in your sights... :blink: The model itself is very well done and it was the first model with that kewl rotary sound. :clapping:

Other faves? Probably the SE5 is an all time from way back as a kid. And ya gotta love the Bristol M1C. German birds? The shuckert and D8 are very cool.

Edited by pcpilot

I just don't have one yet! I'm still learning all of them. :wink:

My all time would have to be the Alb DV. I think the main reason being as a kid was the first model I ever made. Then as I started to take more of an interest started to study Jasta 5.

Albatros%20Rumey.jpg

I'd be happy see DFW T.28 Floh in FE.. but no one's making it :cray:

t28-1.gif

That's an ugly little spud. I may have to add it to the list :biggrin:

I've been a fan of the Camel since I was a kid so having that in-game is great.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the DH2.

Really nicely modelled, although a little slow to turn IMHO. It was quite nimble by all accounts.

The other pusher, the FE2b is good fun too. The way you have to manoeuvre it for the gunner to get a decent shot in..........And then finding yourself screamin'; SHOOT, YOU IDIOT!

Bucky.

Edited by Southside Bucky

Yup. I only noticed that one after I'd hit the SEND button :blush2: Too eager to reply

for my own good!

Guest Charles

Sopwith Snipe.

Speakin stricktly from gameplay.... the Salmson is awsome to fly... great veriaty in missions... just one forward gun.... great visibilty and great plane overall... the jug of ww1...

I'm kinda scared by Salmsons. Withr EP1 installed saw this beast going after Alb D.III and shooting it down.

Yepp with E1 they actually fight back which they didnt do in FE vanila.

What makes them so deadly is that they combine beeing a great plane with good fighter ablities plus the great gunners of E1.

A RE8 you can always dive in under and shoot from below or come in and rake along the wings from up high but a fighter you tend to endup in a 6 high position and thats where the gunner eats you.

Tex

Guest Alligator Devil

Morane Type N against early Fokkers

I'm Running without the Expansion Pack so i have not been able to judge the new flight models, but from the old version

theres so many its hard to nail it down. The Camel,Spad 13 and Neiuports are great for the allied side. For Germans, I really like the Albatros D.II and Dr1. But the great thing about this sim is all the planes you have to choose from, i spend more time in single missions than campaigns because i like to change aircraft almost every mission.

all depends on my mood, sometimes i can have a early war "week" and its a dh2 or eIII or MS typeN

mid war week would be pup tripe, & now the Halb

late war set = snipe , i like 2 fly the dolphin but i cant see a thing out of it , the brisfit D12 , junkers D! is nice for strafing nice fm , even in the ADDon :biggrin: