Of course the real 31 was just a redone 25, but I remember some early DoD "impressions" of the MiG-29 looked like a cross between the real 29 and 31. That plane of course never was made.

The real 29 surprised a lot of people, as did the Su-27.

I was impressed with one aspect of the Firefox design, though, and that was that they kept MiG's signature tailfin design. Put it in a sideview comparison with a real Flogger, Foxbat, Foxhound, or Fulcrum and it's the same tailfin.

They pretty much knew what the MiG-29 looked like by 1979, based upon spy satellite shots taken of the Ramenskoye test center during the later part of 1970's. The MiG-29's prototype was code-named "RAM-L" by the DoD, the Su-27's, "RAM-K". I recall reading a hard-cover, titled "Soviet Military Aircraft", which was published in 1981, and it contained line-drawings of the '29 (based on the aforementioned spy sat images), that were right on the money.

As for the '31 'Firefox', Craig Thomas described it as looking pretty much like the '25, except that it had drooping wings, and a chined forebody.

In retrospect, I find it ironic that Hollywood depicted the Firefox (in 1982) as having a somewhat faceted appearance, almost like the nose of the F-117A!

In retrospect, I find it ironic that Hollywood depicted the Firefox (in 1982) as having a somewhat faceted appearance, almost like the nose of the F-117A!

Well it was supposed to be invisible to radar! Maybe whoever designed the plane for the film knew something no one else did at the time?

Well it was supposed to be invisible to radar! Maybe whoever designed the plane for the film knew something no one else did at the time?

Actually, in the book at least, the MiG-31's stealth was active, not passive (as is the case with actual stealth aircraft).

In the second book on the series, "Firefox Down", Gant had to land the MiG-31 on a fozen lake in Finnish Lapland (due to a losing fuel from battle damage incurred during his aerial encounter with the second Firefox), where it broke through the ice and settled to the bottom. A NATO team was flown in to retrieve it, and, to make a long story short, Gant had to fly it back out! Upon doing so, he discovered that the water had damaged the MiG's stealth system, so Gant was forced to evade interception by relying on the Firefox's speed.

Actually, in the book at least, the MiG-31's stealth was active, not passive (as is the case with actual stealth aircraft).

In the second book on the series, "Firefox Down", Gant had to land the MiG-31 on a fozen lake in Finnish Lapland (due to a losing fuel from battle damage incurred during his aerial encounter with the second Firefox), where it broke through the ice and settled to the bottom. A NATO team was flown in to retrieve it, and, to make a long story short, Gant had to fly it back out! Upon doing so, he discovered that the water had damaged the MiG's stealth system, so Gant was forced to evade interception by relying on the Firefox's speed.

hmm.

maybe we could make that into a movie using Woe.....

maybe....

but who will get gant's character now?

eastwood WOULD be in his 80's now....

I came across that design just recently looking for data on the MFI( and found some contenders from other design bureaus)

I actually thought it was a concept made by MiG, not the DoD.

That's not exactly the pic I remember. The front is similar, but the tail section behind the wing trailing edge is different. Maybe that one is an internal MiG concept.

As for the Ramenskoye sat shots, I saw some of those of the Tu-160 next to the Tu-144 and other fighters, taken in the late 70s. While I could tell which was the MiG-29 as I already knew its shape, I would've been hard-pressed to guess its accurate design based on that.

Of course, NATO got numbers confused before. I believe the MiG-23/25/27 group was muddied a bit before the USSR released official info as to which plane had which number.

Hmmmmmmm...

possible firefox mig number could be:

MiG 3.1(like mig MFI or MiG 1.44)

Mig 30

just thinking....

could anybody working on the JSF instrument panel(panoramic display)

also put hi talents in pimping up the yukikaze and talon panels?

The pilot's taking a shower....he's been in there for a loooong time.

wonder what he's doing.....

Wrench

kevin stein

No! He cannot be here for that......

Your papers please. Your papers are not in order.

Is the pilot still showering?... Mother One is awaiting news from his successful escape...

Cliff Clavin ready to refuel the Firefox...

Cliff Clavin ready to refuel the Firefox...

"Perverskati de reer"

Now I know that spelling is screwed up but, you must think in Russian.

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but I think that article has been debunked as a 3dms fake, albeit, a very good looking construct. It's a hme... I was kinda hoping it wasn't. :sad:

You can tell by looking it's not a real plane, although it could be a mockup. The doors and such are all right angles. That thing wouldn't be nearly as stealthy as its lines imply.

The pilot's taking a shower....he's been in there for a loooong time.

wonder what he's doing.....

Wrench

kevin stein

got bopped hard in the head by col. gant.????

I've been watching this thread off and on.

I know this was a wip but is anyone actually still working on this mod? :dntknw:

I would love to have a chance to fly this bird in WOE.

I've flown it for years in MFS and loved it but would really like to take it into battle. :aggressive:

LOL, looks better than the real one does! :grin:

:biggrin: mig 1.44 3ds200672113374752739.jpg

Whoooowwww!!! :blink: Very nice! :clapping:

You mean something like this? :)

Firefox-01.jpg

Looks good... but you should include mind-control and of course a Clint Eastwood skin ;-)

Hey Gerald, just had a look at your model, pretty nice mate! :smile:

Hot model you got there. Just as an F.Y.I., I downloaded the 3ds file that you posted for it, and about half of the faces on the model were inverted. I don't know if that's the result of a bad export to .3ds or what. But it's probably something you might want to check out before you upload this thing to have it mapped and skinned.

Guess that puts me out of business. At least I only had the nose and front fuselage done.