Sign in to follow this  
Elton Hyland

RADAR Targeting or bracketing.

Hi gang,

I seem to recall on a certain type of radar, you could manually move the 2 " || " brackets with a hat switch in order to place them on the exact target that you wished to lock up. Are you able to do this with the radar in SFP1 :?: I am having a helluva time trying to lock up a target. I did see it bounce across the radar screen once or twice but otherwise, it just sits there. I have been able to lock onto one or two targets in boresight mode but even that is hit and miss.

I can have 3 or 4 targets right in front of me, all showing on the radar, and can't get a lock.

Very frustrated. :x :oops:

E.H.

Keep hitting 'Home' until you get the right one....As far as it being slow to lock...thats the point! :wink:

also hit the insert button to acquire the target. atfer you select it.also be sure your radar is in search or boresite mode..and I bring the range down. These are not fire and forget weapons so you have to keep your nose on your target.

heres the way I do it...first once a target shows up then use the HOME button to select this target,You can increase the range to pick them up further away,then once you have your target selected then use the INSERT button to aquire and bracket the target.If your target is right off your nose I suggest using the boresight mode,give it a few mins to lock as the old radar isn't nearly as fast as that in other sims,ie. F4 and the Janes flight sims,but it's really a hoot.If the target won't bracket then try to close the range as this helps...I've had to close to 1.0 miles before it locks sometimes.The sidewinder is a heat seeker so radar isn't required for it..just a good tone and close range,you'll be just outside gun range for a heater. Oh yeah also remember that different planes have different radar capibilities,and modes.