Just wondering if there's a IFF-Function in SF/WOV/WOE?

And why is the TWS in those games so simple? At least with the modern jets it should be possible to get more information about radar contacts...

Any opinions? :crazy:

Well, for one thing the ThirdWire series is a "lite" sim, so you really can't expect full, or rather unique radar functionality per aircraft. Also, it depends on what the avionics dll can and cannot support. With the avionics70 file you get a lot more supported data than from avionics60. If they come out with an avionics80 it'll likely have more features supported.

Still, I'm not sure how many people want to learn how to operate all the different radar systems for all the different add-on a/c. It'd get pretty complicated, especially in a two-seater like the Tomcat to run TWS-M or TWS-A mode accurately, and especially given only one cockpit seat. In Fleet Defender, for example, you could set the plane to autopilot and go to the back seat to operate the radar; but to do this, you really had to read the manuals to understand the symbology, under which bar and degree settings the radar could operate TWS, know only one weapon type (AIM-54) could even utilize TWS, know which targets are being tracked, if you had acidentally locked a friendly and just sent a Phoenix at him along with the three bandits you just fired at...it gets very complicated. Now, doing that with only one seat, a small radar display and no DDD in the front, while flying the plane...it's possible, but it could also get to be quite a pain too, and that's for the F-14 alone.

Just wondering if there's a IFF-Function in SF/WOV/WOE?

And why is the TWS in those games so simple? At least with the modern jets it should be possible to get more information about radar contacts...

Any opinions? :crazy:

Yes, IFF is modeled in the series, as evidenced by the symbology on the F-15A's radar in WoE.

As to why ithe display and its symbology are "so simple", well, you'll have to ask TK at the developer's site (www.thirdwire.com). I suspect his answer will be some variation of, "it is what it is". :biggrin:

Yes, IFF is modeled in the series, as evidenced by the symbology on the F-15A's radar in WoE.

oh? how so and does that show up in the other aircraft?

From the F-15A_Avionics.ini

[TargetTWS]

SymbolType=TARGET_SYMBOL

TextureName=cockpit\F-15A_TrackTarget.tga

IFFTarget=F-15A\cockpit\iff.tga

Hit1Target=cockpit\F-15A_HalfTarget.tga

Hit2Target=cockpit\F-15A_FullTarget.tga

;ImageSize=0.0625

ImageSize=0.08

RotateToHeading=TRUE

basically, in the WOE F-15A friendly contacts become a dot while enemy contacts stay a rectangle

There is also a padlock command that can be used like an IFF for planes that do not have avionics70.dll/TWS (could be used with any plane though).

Lock the contact like for firing a sparrow then hit control + R you will get a message like "Mig-21MF targeted", so you will at who you are firing for. Maybe you knew already this command?

But it's not very realist, i doubt real IFF can give the exact plane version by interrogating the plane transpoder... But it's better than to send missiles in buddies!

Hope it helped

What I'm really interested in is a TTI display on the HUD. Unfortunately, I don't think the game can support it - I like to be proven wrong though :biggrin: